There are 165 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
He's already on my s**t list N if he ends up trading for a old slow injured Emmanuel Sanders i am officially done with this dude. He can't be that naive can he???

what moves has he made thus far to make you think otherwise? dude is inexperienced gm and has done some dumb s**t already

Obtaining additional picks for nothing by fooling the Bears that someone was trying to trade with us?

Obtaining a franchise QB with a 2nd round pick?

Obtaining a TE who broke the all time receiving yards record? In the 5th round!

Obtaining a HOF bound CB to team friendly deal that pays almost nothing the minute he breaks down?

Yes. Bearing in mind he and Shanahan have masterminded one of the most complete rebuilds I remember seeing, I have no idea why posters are so keen to put him on their s**t list for a move he hasnt made, or what this dumb s**t is, in their opinion.

The scale of the rebuild necessitated some gambles. I cant recall any FA moves which were dumb, although a couple were undermined by injuries. That is not the GM's fault.

There has been some good luck (Garoppolo, Breida) and some bad luck (Foster). That is life. I wonder at the sense of individuals who have been calling for Lynch to be sacked. Like, what world do they inhabit? How long did they imagine this would take? It takes years to build a successful team, unless like the Rams you are going for a quick one-and-out.
Agreed English, even the Rams weren't a quick rebuild, there cornerstones were in place, Donald & Gurley, traded up for Goff, spent on O-Line. Last year was just throwing it all in to compliment those guys.

I think the Bears are the closest thing to a one year build, they were trash before Mack, Robinson and Roquan boosted them up, sure Hicks, Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen were nice pickups, but they got better in a hurry.

I think we're poised to add some big pieces this year to what we already have.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Feb 18, 2019 at 5:02 AM ]
Obtaining additional picks for nothing by fooling the Bears that someone was trying to trade with us?

Obtaining a HOF bound CB to team friendly deal that pays almost nothing the minute he breaks down?

JL needs to keep rolling with that same kind of "inexperienced gm" "dumb sh**t!"
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Feb 18, 2019 at 5:43 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Ball release timing has absolutely nothing to do QB hits. Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing. QB hits happen as you say even if it's a TD or even if the ball comes out and hits the dirt. Even if there's a perfect read, QB recognizes pressure and throws to the hot, he can STILL get hit after the ball is gone and it's not roughing the passer.

125 hits

It's a real number.

You can do only so much coaching around this until your OL is talented enough to match the talent on the other side of the trench.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that folks will say we need a absolute-best edge but journeymen, injury unknowns and castoffs are okay for the OL. How are you expecting to stop the best edges in the NFL and their inside tackle blue chip compliments with sub-par linemen?

McKittrick is no longer on this coaching staff.

thl has a point, 3 steppers are less likely to mean a QB hit but that's not really Shannys offense. And I'd offer that inside OL play has been so poor, out QBs still have been getting slammed after short passes.

Totally disagree with this statement "Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing"

there's a reason guys like Brady/Brees are still standing in this league and playing well...you think BB is just pissing out top end OL for 15 yrs and using mid to low round picks on them? The rest of the NFL simply just keeps missing on all this top OL talent? OR do you think having a great QB who can orchestrate the same offense for 15 yrs, understands pressure, and can read a defense might play a part in him not getting hit on every play? Come on now.

-Having a proper game plan/scheme
-Having a QB that understands a defense, understands where pressures comes from, and anticipate throws or can throw the ball away when need be.
-Have a solid talent on the OL

IMO all three play a part in how often a QB gets hit/sacked.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Ball release timing has absolutely nothing to do QB hits. Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing. QB hits happen as you say even if it's a TD or even if the ball comes out and hits the dirt. Even if there's a perfect read, QB recognizes pressure and throws to the hot, he can STILL get hit after the ball is gone and it's not roughing the passer.

125 hits

It's a real number.

You can do only so much coaching around this until your OL is talented enough to match the talent on the other side of the trench.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that folks will say we need a absolute-best edge but journeymen, injury unknowns and castoffs are okay for the OL. How are you expecting to stop the best edges in the NFL and their inside tackle blue chip compliments with sub-par linemen?

McKittrick is no longer on this coaching staff.

thl has a point, 3 steppers are less likely to mean a QB hit but that's not really Shannys offense. And I'd offer that inside OL play has been so poor, out QBs still have been getting slammed after short passes.

Totally disagree with this statement "Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing"

there's a reason guys like Brady/Brees are still standing in this league and playing well...you think BB is just pissing out top end OL for 15 yrs and using mid to low round picks on them? The rest of the NFL simply just keeps missing on all this top OL talent? OR do you think having a great QB who can orchestrate the same offense for 15 yrs, understands pressure, and can read a defense might play a part in him not getting hit on every play? Come on now.

-Having a proper game plan/scheme
-Having a QB that understands a defense, understands where pressures comes from, and anticipate throws or can throw the ball away when need be.
-Have a solid talent on the OL

IMO all three play a part in how often a QB gets hit/sacked.

His point was, even if you do all those things right, you can still get hit. And QB's do. That's on PP/OL. And eventually that's going to catch up to you.

As to your other point, I fully agree. I'd also add in BB's eye for OL talent, his OL coach is the best in the business and they ID excellent pass protectors over run blockers; who wouldn't want to protect Tom Brady as a first priority? When they didn't protect Brady, they lost 3-4 Superbowls as a direct reason for it. Literally.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 18, 2019 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
He's already on my s**t list N if he ends up trading for a old slow injured Emmanuel Sanders i am officially done with this dude. He can't be that naive can he???

what moves has he made thus far to make you think otherwise? dude is inexperienced gm and has done some dumb s**t already

Yes. Bearing in mind he and Shanahan have masterminded one of the most complete rebuilds I remember seeing, I have no idea why posters are so keen to put him on their s**t list for a move he hasnt made, or what this dumb s**t is, in their opinion.

The scale of the rebuild necessitated some gambles. I cant recall any FA moves which were dumb, although a couple were undermined by injuries. That is not the GM's fault.

There has been some good luck (Garoppolo, Breida) and some bad luck (Foster). That is life. I wonder at the sense of individuals who have been calling for Lynch to be sacked. Like, what world do they inhabit? How long did they imagine this would take? It takes years to build a successful team, unless like the Rams you are going for a quick one-and-out.

He's done an OK job thus far and realistically, probably better than you'd expect from a learn-on-the-job GM.

But the bottom line is, as a GM, you are evaluated on 1) finding a FQB and 2) building up the talent level.

He's half way there is JG pans out!
Originally posted by NCommand:
His point was, even if you do all those things right, you can still get hit. And QB's do. That's on PP/OL. And eventually that's going to catch up to you.

As to your other point, I fully agree. I'd also add in BB's eye for OL talent, his OL coach is the best in the business and they ID excellent pass protectors over run blockers; who wouldn't want to protect Tom Brady as a first priority? When they didn't protect Brady, they lost 3-4 Superbowls as a direct reason for it. Literally.

When he says "Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing" I simply disagree. I never said a QB isn't gonna get hit if they have all the above I mentioned. It's silly to think that.

When your QB can recognize pressure, has WRs that can separate quickly, knows coverages, and isn't standing there if his first read is gone... all that can lead to him getting hit less. That's not on the OL. Talent matters no doubt on the OL never said it doesn't. Coaching is just as big in todays game with the crap coming out of college.

You can't tell me Thuney (3rd rd pick), Shaquille Mason (4ht rd pick), David Andrews (UDFA), Marcus Cannon (5th rd pick) were all these top end pass protecting studs coming out of college? You can not tell me if they went to say the Cardinals they'd be these top 10 players at their current positions.

Brady, coaching, a great scheme, skilled players who can get open, ALL play a big part in Brady being able not getting smashed all the damn time. That's my whole argument.
He's done an OK job thus far and realistically, probably better than you'd expect from a learn-on-the-job GM.

But the bottom line is, as a GM, you are evaluated on 1) finding a FQB and 2) building up the talent level.

Disagree. He has built up the talent level. Without the injury bug this would be clearer. Regarding Garoppolo he has found the fqb, it is up to Shanahan to make it work.
One thing I haven't noticed in the Brady debate is the ability to buy time. There is no one better than he is at sliding in the pocket. I don't mean big moves, just a step here or there - in any direction as required. He recognizes pressure before it reaches him. Watch CJ or Mullens, if you want a stark contrast. Time and again, they won't move, or will sense pressure but move in the wrong direction, straight into trouble.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

When he says "Recognizing D and getting the ball has NOTHING to do with QB hits. Nothing" I simply disagree. I never said a QB isn't gonna get hit if they have all the above I mentioned. It's silly to think that.

When your QB can recognize pressure, has WRs that can separate quickly, knows coverages, and isn't standing there if his first read is gone... all that can lead to him getting hit less. That's not on the OL. Talent matters no doubt on the OL never said it doesn't. Coaching is just as big in todays game with the crap coming out of college.

You can't tell me Thuney (3rd rd pick), Shaquille Mason (4ht rd pick), David Andrews (UDFA), Marcus Cannon (5th rd pick) were all these top end pass protecting studs coming out of college? You can not tell me if they went to say the Cardinals they'd be these top 10 players at their current positions.

Brady, coaching, a great scheme, skilled players who can get open, ALL play a big part in Brady being able not getting smashed all the damn time. That's my whole argument.

Yeah, I forgot the importance of Welker in there and Gronk who's open when covered. All are big factors of decreasing the odds of taking hits. Feel, ability to slide, etc. Agree with all of that.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Disagree. He has built up the talent level. Without the injury bug this would be clearer. Regarding Garoppolo he has found the fqb, it is up to Shanahan to make it work.

how do you explain to those who say we need to upgrade our talent if you think our talent level is nice now. and if some think the talent level is not good now. well these are all of lynchs and kyles boys,. the qb needs to prove he can stay healthy. the injury bug is just a built in excuse for poor play and coaching. when they are healthy this next year and the same stuff happens again.. the spin will be interesting

Possibly. We'll see.

You can't say he's built up the talent at all if that talent can't ever stay healthy and prove it.

Hopefully that really is the case though coupled with the additions of the new players this year.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
One thing I haven't noticed in the Brady debate is the ability to buy time. There is no one better than he is at sliding in the pocket. I don't mean big moves, just a step here or there - in any direction as required. He recognizes pressure before it reaches him. Watch CJ or Mullens, if you want a stark contrast. Time and again, they won't move, or will sense pressure but move in the wrong direction, straight into trouble.

LOL...just saw this. You beat me to it.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

JL needs to keep rolling with that same kind of "inexperienced gm" "dumb sh**t!"

Fooled tbe Bears alright, then proceeded to waste all of the picks he gained. Drafting a bust like Thomas, and trading up for Beathard and Williams. Bears go on to make playoffs, they sure got fooled
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 18, 2019 at 9:41 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Fooled tbe Bears alright, then proceeded to waste all of the picks he gained. Drafting a bust like Thomas, and trading up for Beathard and Williams. Bears go on to make playoffs, they sure got fooled

joe williams as well. oh sorry. i forgot,. we just put that into the file of.. oh you can not hit on every pick. same with wasting two first round picks.. oh.. no one is perfect and then we just whistle past the end zone on our way to picking second
Share 49ersWebzone