LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
He was being kind. We got rid of Attaochu because he is a horrendous football player.

Then our ability to scout ER's is poor because we tried to get him for two years.
Before we panic, I have compared this team to the 1981 team. A young Italian QB, a wide receiver corps that scared nobody (Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, Mike Shumann and Mike Wilson), obscure RBs (Ricky Patton, Johnny Davis, Lenvil Elliott and Bill Ring), and a solid OL. Our defense won that title for us. 8 or 9 tough, talented defensive lineman who rotated and all played. We lacked a strong pass rush until game 6 when Fred Dean arrived. We were deep at linebacker as we are now, and had a young talented secondary made up of 3 rookies and Dwight Hicks. Now we have 2 studs at safety in Colbert and Tartt, and our present version of Dwight Hicks, Richard Sherman. This is a talented team and chemistry can be far more important that just raw talent. Never give up...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
He was being kind. We got rid of Attaochu because he is a horrendous football player.

Then our ability to scout ER's is poor because we tried to get him for two years.

Welp. It does appear to be a weakness. Can't be good at everything.

Honest answer. Every FO has its unique strengths and weaknesses, eye for talent and a blind eye.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't think Lynch would trade for a starting caliber RB, nor one on a multi million dollar per year deal. They're still paying McKinnon this year, and it's hard to imagine they'd put even more significant money into the position.

That said -- guys on the backend of their rookie deals may be appealing. Coleman comes to mind. However, those dudes would all be one-year rentals. So, trade compensation would need to fit (such as a late round pick). Coleman can't be had for that. Maybe there are others of his ilk available. But I would doubt teams would give them up for minimal trade compensation.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Losing McKinnon sucks. But lets not pretend like he was the main offensive weapon. If we got Jimmy and RBs that can catch... we will be absolutely fine. Finding a receiving RB via trade or waivers is not hard.

I can see the argument where people say we can exploit the Rams weak LB core, by using him as a mismatch in the passing game. So that, I understand

But honestly, we can probably find someone similar on waivers. Hopefully we can get a guy. Not sure if Breida has great catching ability.

I wouldn't say similar to McKinnon as an overall player, but similar on specific traits for sure.

My point is... it's not like losing McKinnon is like losing Elliott, Bell, Barkley, etc. It's a step down. But not a cliff.

As this relates to Shannahan's entire offensive philosophy for this year and beyond, it's a cliff. Maybe low enough for the fall to only break some bones but a big blow none the less. 6-7 wins this year. Going to be more interesting with JG but we now have a near rental backfield. Feel bad for Shanny but must move on! Go Niners!!!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Lynch has mad bromance / fetish with Ward #NuffSaid
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Honest answer. Every FO has its unique strengths and weaknesses, eye for talent and a blind eye.

Edge rusher is a real bad spot to have a blind spot in. I hope Chris Kiffen can clear that up. I have been impressed with Julian Taylor, DJ Jones, Day and Blair - and I know they are all *not* LEO's but they have been able to generate a bit of pass rush in preseason. So all is not lost. I'm just trying to be optimistic. Doing the CC and Susweel thing just doesn't resonate with me.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran

Dude that's not a sensible viewpoint, every FO tries to sign a project to two years because if they ball out in the first year it may be a one-off but they will demand a fortune in that 2nd year.

If successful you risk developing a guy who leaves for a much better payday elsewhere after a year, or you risk overpaying for a one year fluke.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 2, 2018 at 2:17 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Losing McKinnon sucks. But lets not pretend like he was the main offensive weapon. If we got Jimmy and RBs that can catch... we will be absolutely fine. Finding a receiving RB via trade or waivers is not hard.

I expected jet to have a big year
Worst case scenario move a WR with speed to McKinnon's position. Pettis, and the rest of the rookie WR corps can fill in for McKinnon while he recovers. I hear Carlos Hyde was cut.

Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Having worked in organizational leadership for over 5 years I know the #1 thing all the 100's of leadership training materials talk about is delegation and team management - not necessarily having all those skills yourself. A good leader has to be able to identify who is best at what, put people in those places and coordinate the transfer or information and cohesion while clearly articulating what the unified goal and vision is.

What I see from Lynch more than anything is how great of a leader he is. He follows and fills all the tenets of a good leader.

One thing that is obvious over the previous GM is that they're looking for types on the team. They're not out there trying to figure out who's the best at being the best. They're trying to find who are the guys who would thrive in the systems in place on the team.

Baalke seemed like he was always trying to find players he thought would be the best. The problem is, the pool in which you're looking becomes so massive that it's hard to find clear indicators of why one will be great and the other not.

Lynch goes out and is looking at, not every LBer, but ones that have certain traits they're looking for that are needed to thrive in this system. If they don't have those, no matter how physically gifted, it's not a good fit.

Agree! I've studied leadership for years, both public and private institutions, and there isn't just one type or style that works, but Lynch embodies my favorite. He is perfect for this day and age in the NFL--great personal skills, ego in check, articulate, high character, and willingness to allow his employees the freedom (within a structure) to succeed.

Our former GM was a Parcells type guy and that is old school...doesn't really work well these days...if it ever really did.
Parcells worked only when he had ridiculous talent at the coaching positions and, like baalke and Harbaugh, was only fit for short bursts. That 1990 NY coaching staff was crazy good. The defensive game-plan that BB put together was considered so amazing it's actually on display in Canton.

6 of the guys from that staff went on to be Head Coaches in the NFL or College.

Bill Bellichick
Tom Coughlin
Romeo Crennel
Ron Erhardt
A Groh
Charlie Weisz

Tom Coughlin was the epitome of the Parcells style and BB definitely took on more of a mix between BB and BW IMO.....but also cheats...lol

Good point! Baalke had Harbaugh, but Harbaugh had Donatel, Fangio and Tomsula who are among the best coaches for their positions. The offense never grew because Harbaugh insisted on keeping Roman and Chryst...not on the level with defensive coaches. Plus, Baalke did pick some extremely good talent and signed some, no doubt due to the level of coaching on defense--Willis, Aldon, J Smith, and Donatel's group of roll the dice DBs.
I think the Parcells style of leadership was one reason Baalke was attracted to Harbaugh from a hiring standpoint. They both believed in an unrelenting, strong, in your face style of leadership and on paper is great because you have 2 guys with the same philosophy of leadership. The problem is, you can't have 2 of those guys in the same group. They're both trying to be the unrelenting Alpha voice who goes unquestioned and gets what they want.

Especially when the two alphas are pulling the sled in different directions.

Queue Delanie Walker....
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Outside of the draft which is unknown at this point, this is turning into a pretty bad off-season for Lynch.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Outside of the draft which is unknown at this point, this is turning into a pretty bad off-season for Lynch.

why.. he over paid for a running back which was supposed to do great things but now alot of people are saying no big deal. good lord. he kept ward and aa and was not overly concerned with a pass rush but spent all day doing interviews about getting a scrub tackle from the browns. best gm in football. i can not believe in the jet thread all those who are saying meh,, no big deal. lol. we went from 8 to 7 wins. i love morris and maybe our run game will now resemble a frank gore game which is not that tragic but lets not kid ourselves. that was a major major loss.lynch has always been very under whelming to me

This board is going to get ugly as the losses mount this season. We could easily be 2 and 5 after 7 games this season. I hope I'm wrong but we didn't do nearly enough to improve this team this off season. Our group of running backs and outside pass rushers rival a 1st year expansion team. Not to mention Staley,Garcon,Sherman and Morris are on their last legs. This roster/team has a long ways to go to be a super bowl contender. How you can have over 100 million in salary cap room and be worse at safety,running back and outside pass rusher is beyond me. That takes real talent to accomplish. We could have had Myles Garrett and Bradley Chubb but Chip Kelly and Shanahan decided to win games at the end of the season that meant nothing. I'm losing faith that John lynch and this front office know how to build a roster and work free agency.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Sep 2, 2018 at 6:03 AM ]
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

This board is going to get ugly as the losses mount this season. We could easily be 2 and 5 after 7 games this season. I hope I'm wrong but we didn't do nearly enough to improve this team this off season. Our group of running backs and outside pass rushers rival a 1st year expansion team. Not to mention Staley,Garcon,Sherman and Morris are on their last legs. This roster/team has a long ways to go to be a super bowl contender. How you can have over 100 million in salary cap room and be worse at safety,running back and outside pass rusher is beyond me. That takes real talent to accomplish. We could have had Myles Garrett and Bradley Chubb but Chip Kelly and Shanahan decided to win games at the end of the season that meant nothing. I'm losing faith that John lynch and this front office know how to build a roster and work free agency.

Good grief, you two don't understand the meaning of "rebuild"? It's got to be right here, right now? Well, get ready for it. We are going to lose a chunk of games this year. Lynch and Shanahan are building for the long term.
Share 49ersWebzone