LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Finally: The 49ers Offense WCO!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This whole thing doesnt work if our defense is garbage.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Glad WCO is coming back.! It will take some time for sure and need some players on the next couple of drafts and free agencies. We just need to sit back and be patient as it is a process We got some nice young players that just need experience and coaching. Defensively, a couple of players (NT,ILB,,OLB are the most glaring needs) and a better scheming D coordinator. Offensively, I wouldn't mind investing most of our draft picks on this side of the ball. QB,WR,TE to get them rolling in the right direction.

In this era, "It will take some time" = fired HC's and GM's.

I honestly believe any team is a year or two away from the playoffs by adding 2 or 3 pieces alone as long as they have a legit head coach.
I wouldn't be opposed to Garcia as a QB coach...it probably depends on whether Shanahan can bring in some of his Houston coaches like Dennison, Knapp, etc. Knapp was able to get the most out of Jeff as our QB, so if he's available, I'd think KS would love to have him on his staff. Reports so far is it's unlikely he'll be brining Atlanta coaches with him...but the 'Skins coaches are out there, too, as well as Houston's. The plus for his OC experience on 4 different teams is he's no doubt compiled his list of guys he'd think about hiring when his time came to be a HC. It'll be interesting to see how he puts his staff together.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Don't expect an immediate turnaround. I'm not. This is going to take some time and years of good drafting to fix.

I'm talking about an Oakland Raiders type of timeline after Al Davis died and Mark took control. He was patient. But it took some time to finally happen.

I don't know, bill. I think we will 100% get our run-game going. With the shiftiness of Harris and Mike Davis, and the receiving ability of Draughn and Hyde...I think we have a lot of options at RB and can do a lot of different things. And if we upgrade any of them this offseason...even better.

I do feel our OL will be able to play well in the zone blocking system since they have been accustomed to the zone read type of offense.

Our passing game will need work but with McDonald, our RB's, and the WCO, we should be able to improve better than the last 10 years.

Shanny might even include Torrey Smith in the game plan
<sorry posted before I got to all the Torrey comments>
bad idea
[ Edited by Sourball on Jan 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
What formations are we going to see most out of Kyle..,

Any fullback in his offense? Mike Shanahan was kinda going away from that with Steve on some plays as early as '94

This sounds odd, but you're going to see a number of formations similar to HaRoman. He did a great job in the Sea game of moving different players around to give Ryan clear, defined reads and/or defined pre-snap coverage. This allowed Ryan, on multiple occasions, to know where the ball was going before the snap and speeds up that anticipation type throw.

For example: The play Thl mentioned in the 3rd on a "stop 9" route. They started with a trips set to the opposite side of the field with Julio split wide and Sherman on him. They flexed the TE out to the slot and had a WR inside of him. With a LB moved out on the TE, it showed man-coverage. This then isolated the Falcons fastest receiver on their #2 corner with no safety help. This is what helped the receiver gain more separation on his "stop 9" as the corner would be trying to play over-the-top. So, with that information given to the QB pre-snap, Ryan then just has to execute his footwork and put the ball on the money, which he did.

There were also other plays. For example:
When the Falcons were backed up to their own 1 yard line, they came out in "21" personnel but then flexed the FB and RB out wide. People slammed Harbaugh for doing that with Bruce Miller, but it gives clear defined looks pre-snap. With a RB split wide and Sherman over him, they had Julio in the slot to that side. With zone coverage presented and a clear single safety it was either a cover 3 zone or 3 deep fire-zone. It was a fire-zone and that isolated Julio Jones on a LB on an "ohio" concept. Again, the clear look allowed Ryan to take a quick 3 step drop and get the ball out just as the receiver was coming out of his break.

I'll be doing a full breakdown of the game at some point either today or tomorrow but there were a lot of things I really liked.

Formation wise you will see all the usual personnel groupings (11,12, 21, 22, 23, etc). In base personnel (21 or 2 backs and a TE) you will see the i form, strong I and weak I. From a base perspective, thats a departure from the glory days as we were more of a horizontal stacked formation team (split, far and near). That was really how elder Shanny changed from his time here to his time in Denver and washingtion.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Shanahan used to tell Hoyer, "You need a big-time, playmaking 'X' (split end) in this offense." He has Julio Jones now. Hoyer says, "Kyle always wanted a guy who was really, really fast." He has Taylor Gabriel in Atlanta. Hoyer remembers how Shanahan wanted pass-catching backs. Enter Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/19/qb-that-worked-with-kyle-shanahan-compares-him-to-bill-belichick/

If you have a playmaking X, it makes it hard for defenses to roll coverage over to the concept side. That's what made our dynasty day attack so nasty, John Taylor kept them honest as the split end and Jerry went to work as the Z. (Also, the two were interchanageable so you could flip them and not lose anything).

I honestly believe any team is a year or two away from the playoffs by adding 2 or 3 pieces alone as long as they have a legit head coach.

True. Hope Jed better get out of the way and let these guys do their thing. He knows this is a major rebuild and will need some time. If he becomes impatient, then we know what's going to happen.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yes, once Shanny gets here and starts the process...

As for now, Paraamble just watched the Steelers win a playoff game on the road against a pretty good KC Queefs team... "we'll win by special teams with all these kickers and punters on the roster"

WCO if back!!!

Run Game: One thing I know for sure is that our run-game will be very very good. We finally have a run-offense that can withstand injuries to a starting RB and we do not need to draft high at that position. All we need is a back that can plant that foot and turn it up field quickly when needed.

Anyone remember Kevin Barlow? He looked like the heir apparent in a WCO, waiting and slashing to the hole, then Nolan came along with a power run scheme, and Barlow had to hit a designated hole, Barlow was awful, hot garbage, useless.

A players fit a scheme has a lot to do with his success, the WCO can hide a lot of deficiencies. You get by with less size at the Line, you can do without blazing speed at receiver, not that the WCO cant excel with speed and power, point is it isn't as dependent on them.

A good WCO has a little more smoke and mirrors, and allows coaches more flexibility in terms of hiding weaknesses. It will come do to a good pre snap read, and timing, timing, timing!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
SHANAHAN'S FIRST AND EXPECTED MOVE BY 9MOON

QB - SAM BRADFORD - SF trades Arick Armstead and 4th round (2017) to the Vikings

WR - CORDARELLE PATTERSON - FA signing

FS - ERIC BERRY - FA signing

ILB - SEAN WITHERSPOON - FA signing

DE - GLENN DORSEY - FA re-sign

WR - Quentin Patton - FA - re-sign

Originally posted by Waterbear:
There is no doubt in my mind that Shanahan will have a good offensive system but besides Carlos Hyde we have no one to run it.

That includes most of the offensive line, unless the game plan calls for no passes at all.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:

True. Hope Jed better get out of the way and let these guys do their thing. He knows this is a major rebuild and will need some time. If he becomes impatient, then we know what's going to happen.

Jed isn't the one to worry about. He has stayed out of the way since Harbaugh was fired.
We'll see the return of the fullback in SF!!!!

Try and grab Patrick DiMarco (ATL) or Kyle Juszczyk (BAL) in free agency. Two of the better fullbacks in the league, and both have played in this offense.
Not sure if this pic has been updated, but I'm thinking it will need to be updated if KShanny does bring back the WCO.

If we dont have a winning record in 2018, i want him GONE.
Share 49ersWebzone