LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Finally: The 49ers Offense WCO!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
WCO if back!!!

Run Game: One thing I know for sure is that our run-game will be very very good. We finally have a run-offense that can withstand injuries to a starting RB and we do not need to draft high at that position. All we need is a back that can plant that foot and turn it up field quickly when needed.

Passing game: we can finally see a great scheme to help our withered down talent in the passing game rather than trying to expect our lack of talent to beat better talent.

Would be awesome if we can get a film breakdown of ATL's games. I know they have tons of talent on O and the film will help us see if it was talent or play design to get the end result. I do know that they don't have the best talent at the RB positions.
Don't expect an immediate turnaround. I'm not. This is going to take some time and years of good drafting to fix.

I'm talking about an Oakland Raiders type of timeline after Al Davis died and Mark took control. He was patient. But it took some time to finally happen.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Don't expect an immediate turnaround. I'm not. This is going to take some time and years of good drafting to fix.

I'm talking about an Oakland Raiders type of timeline after Al Davis died and Mark took control. He was patient. But it took some time to finally happen.

I don't know, bill. I think we will 100% get our run-game going. With the shiftiness of Harris and Mike Davis, and the receiving ability of Draughn and Hyde...I think we have a lot of options at RB and can do a lot of different things. And if we upgrade any of them this offseason...even better.

I do feel our OL will be able to play well in the zone blocking system since they have been accustomed to the zone read type of offense.

Our passing game will need work but with McDonald, our RB's, and the WCO, we should be able to improve better than the last 10 years.
  • thl408
It definitely feels right that a branch from the WCO tree is going to grow in SF. That's the way it should be. So many passing plays nowadays ask for the QB to time his feet to his progressions, so that's just the way it is in a lot of offenses. What isn't seen in every offense is the pass first mentality that the traditional WCO used. There are a lot of characteristics to the traditional WCO and it'll be interesting to see how much of it Shanny uses in his 49er offense.

I was watching the coaches film of last week's ATL/SEA game and it was Matt Ryan that was the centerpiece of the offense that day. So many throws were made before the WR entered his break that also had good ball placement. Shanny can design the greatest play ever, if he doesn't have a QB that can throw with confidence (anticipation) and accuracy, play design won't mean a thing. I hope Shanny doesn't feel rushed to pick a QB and chooses wisely. If there isn't a QB he likes in 2017, then wait on it. Don't force himself to like Trubs, Watson, or whoever else is coming out in this draft.
temper expectations - we don't have a qb nearly as good as matt ryan and even he looked like dogs**t year 1.
we also don't have julio.

this will be a run first version of his offense early on - no choice. we will likely still be bottom half on offense in year 1
I'm "All-In" on a return to the WCO!

I don't think we'll see a fast turn-around =playoffs this next season.

This Baalke disaster did not happen in one season and I really don't think it will turn around in one.

BUT I certainly wouldn't complain if it did.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

agreed
Yup as much as everyone loved those Harbaugh teams,my problem with him besides boneheaded calls late in games was that his offenses were very underwhelming compared to those great 49ers offenses from the 80s,90s, and even early 2000s that gave this organization its identity. But to be fair a lot of that had to do with Baalke and his fetish for Parcells If Shanahan truly does works out the REAL 49ers will finally be back.
Originally posted by Joecool:
WCO if back!!!

Run Game: One thing I know for sure is that our run-game will be very very good. We finally have a run-offense that can withstand injuries to a starting RB and we do not need to draft high at that position. All we need is a back that can plant that foot and turn it up field quickly when needed.

Passing game: we can finally see a great scheme to help our withered down talent in the passing game rather than trying to expect our lack of talent to beat better talent.

Would be awesome if we can get a film breakdown of ATL's games. I know they have tons of talent on O and the film will help us see if it was talent or play design to get the end result. I do know that they don't have the best talent at the RB positions.

I'm working on the ATLvsSEA game now :)
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Let's calm down a bit

We don't have a qb
We don't have a great all world wr

This will take time
We need to hit with this draft...and dip into FA
[ Edited by dmax on Jan 19, 2017 at 10:09 AM ]

• thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm working on the ATLvsSEA game now :)

Check out the pass at 13:20 of the 3rd quarter. That's the kind of throw/catch that Flacco/Torrey made routine, but never happened with the 49ers. Ryan threw it with confidence way before the WR made his break to beat the blitz on 3rd and 10.
I am fired up about a fresh start with an offense that sprouted from seeds of the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

Exciting times!
  • Jiks
Originally posted by thl408:
Check out the pass at 13:20 of the 3rd quarter. That's the kind of throw/catch that Flacco/Torrey made routine, but never happened with the 49ers. Ryan threw it with confidence way before the WR made his break to beat the blitz on 3rd and 10.

I haven't really even thought about Torrey but he could be a solid piece in a true WCO. Obviously his route running is suspect, but his ability to take the top off at any given moment might make him useful once defenses start playing closer to the LOS.
Originally posted by Jiks:
Originally posted by thl408:

I haven't really even thought about Torrey but he could be a solid piece in a true WCO. Obviously his route running is suspect, but his ability to take the top off at any given moment might make him useful once defenses start playing closer to the LOS.

Shanahan used to tell Hoyer, "You need a big-time, playmaking 'X' (split end) in this offense." He has Julio Jones now. Hoyer says, "Kyle always wanted a guy who was really, really fast." He has Taylor Gabriel in Atlanta. Hoyer remembers how Shanahan wanted pass-catching backs. Enter Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/19/qb-that-worked-with-kyle-shanahan-compares-him-to-bill-belichick/
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Jan 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone