With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
First downs- 117 (projects to 374 in full year)
PF- 144 (projects to 461 in full year)
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2
Pass attempts in the gun%- 62.9%

Jimmy G factor. But you have account for the other guys on offense that improved in the second half of the season for these numbers too. Injuries in the first half of the season. The backups and rookies settled down,started to play with consistency.

Rough season, but one of the more interesting and actually fun season to follow as a fan in a long time

Absolutely great breakdowns!! This is most definitely going to be a great off-season to be a 49ers fan right now
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Niners816:
With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2

Jimmy G factor. But you have account for the other guys on offense that improved in the second half of the season for these numbers too. Injuries in the first half of the season. The backups and rookies settled down,started to play with consistency.

Rough season, but one of the more interesting and actually fun season to follow as a fan in a long time

I think it's a big advantage to have gotten the franchise QB and have basically 6 pre-season games and THEN have an offseason free agency and draft cycle before the next season begins. This is a unique offseason in that you are building around the Franchise QB and the opponents only have less than half a season of game tape on the QB, and drafting high in this years rookie draft derby.
Originally posted by Giedi:
With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2

I think it's a big advantage to have gotten the franchise QB and have basically 6 pre-season games and THEN have an offseason free agency and draft cycle before the next season begins. This is a unique offseason in that you are building around the Franchise QB and the opponents only have less than half a season of game tape on the QB, and drafting high in this years rookie draft derby.

Yeah, they are basically game planning a qb that plays like a 5-10 years vet, with a handful of games to figure out the tendencies
Originally posted by Giedi:
With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2

Yeah, they are basically game planning a qb that plays like a 5-10 years vet, with a handful of games to figure out the tendencies

If you take just the Jimmy G numbers and project them for an entire season, we would have led the league in total yards and passing yards. We would have finished second in Points and First Downs.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 1, 2018 at 10:16 AM ]
  • thl408
The scoring % on drives skyrocketed with JG at the helm, and the '3 and out' % went way down. Can't wait to see what JG and Kyle can do when they get to spend OTAs and camp together.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Absolutely great breakdowns!! This is most definitely going to be a great off-season to be a 49ers fan right now

Thank you.....and it's starting to get that old time feeling.
Originally posted by thl408:
The scoring % on drives skyrocketed with JG at the helm, and the '3 and out' % went way down. Can't wait to see what JG and Kyle can do when they get to spend OTAs and camp together.

What's crazy is his total numbers for the whole season is very respectable.....with Jimmy G they rival our top offenses during the dynasty run. It's nuts.

What's crazy is his total numbers for the whole season is very respectable.....with Jimmy G they rival our top offenses during the dynasty run. It's nuts.

Dis gon be fuuuuun (thats my best non-southerner, southern accent)
With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2

Catch distributions
WR1 - 24.6%
FB1 - 14.4
WR2 - 14.4
TE1 - 12.7
HB1 - 8.5
TE2 - 6.8

I wanted to update the with Jimmy G portion with catch distribution. Under Jimmy, Goodwin was getting a % of catches usually seen with a true number 1 WR. Hyde who ended the year as our top catcher was 5th under Jimmy. Juice and Trent Taylor each had the same number of catches and Kittle was the number 1 TE target.
With Jimmy G as starter.

****2017 - SF HC****
Yards- 410 ypg
Pass- 297 ypg
Rush- 113 ypg
Ratio- 55%pass/45%rush
Td-int ratio- 6-5
Rush td- 6
Comp%- 67.4%
Yards per pass- 8.4
Yards per rush- 3.7
QB rate- 96.2

Catch distributions
WR1 - 24.6%
FB1 - 14.4
WR2 - 14.4
TE1 - 12.7
HB1 - 8.5
TE2 - 6.8

I wanted to update the with Jimmy G portion with catch distribution. Under Jimmy, Goodwin was getting a % of catches usually seen with a true number 1 WR. Hyde who ended the year as our top catcher was 5th under Jimmy. Juice and Trent Taylor each had the same number of catches and Kittle was the number 1 TE target.

Great info breakdown. Awesome to see it this way

I've updated 2016 & 2017 in the first post to include personnel groupings. Stats are from sharpfootballstats.com. It shows frequency of personnel groupings and the pass/run ratio with in each grouping.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 9, 2018 at 12:09 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I've updated 2016 & 2017 in the first post to include personnel groupings. Stats are from sharpfootballstats.com. It shows frequency of personnel groupings and the pass/run ratio with in each grouping.

Pretty interesting numbers! Danke!
  • thl408

Can you show me how to find the personnel groupings? I'd like to know how the 49ers stack up with the rest of the league when in 12 or 21 (groupings that want to keep the defense in base). I heard Cossell say that the 49ers use 21 more than any other team, or something like that.

Can you show me how to find the personnel groupings? I'd like to know how the 49ers stack up with the rest of the league when in 12 or 21 (groupings that want to keep the defense in base). I heard Cossell say that the 49ers use 21 more than any other team, or something like that.

Originally posted by jonnydel:

Smartfootballstats.com personnel groupings

This site is hell on mobile devices but it looks like this

First column is 11, second is 12 and third is 21

When you click on them it's shows this

We ran the second most 21 personnel only behind NE.....i just noticed that the 2017 version might not be fully up to date as it's only showing about 800 plays. I will update when they update.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone