LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Adam Gase sets the record straight

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for Fresh49.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/adam-gase-sets-record-straight-trent-baalke-hired-jim-tomsula

On who had final say on who would be hired:

"I knew that Trent was the final decision-maker in San Francisco heading into the interview process," Gase said. "When we first met, when it was all four in there, that was explained to me from the get-go, that Trent ran the organization, as far as who's getting hired for the head-coaching job. I knew that going in."

On if it was insisted that Tomsula be retained and hired as DC:

"When asked if he was told he had to promote Tomsula as defensive coordinator, Gase answered, "I don't remember that being a conversation. We spit-balled a lot of different scenarios of how we were going about putting a staff together.""

Some other very interesting nuggets in this article also, great work by MM. Seems to have gotten Jed off the hook for some of the blame folks have heaped on him imo. Not all the way off the hook for me personally, but its good to know where blame lies now in this situation.
Some good insight into how much power the GM (and in this new case, the HC/GM) will be given by York.
Baalke should've been fired along with Tomsula.

Move this to the NFL section? Don't even want to remember...
Thanks Gase, for shedding some light
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM ]
Like I said, Baalke turned Gase down and not Jed.

Jed gets a bad rap for meddling which is incorrect. If he deserves criticism its for keeping Baalke too long.
Laughable how Baalke wasn't fired along with the caveman. Here's my question,whatever happened to the report that Gase was Baalkes hire and Jed threw a monkey wrench and told Gase that he would only get the job if he made the idiot DC? Did Jed make up the report to keep his friend Baalke from getting much blame for a horrible hire ?
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Laughable how Baalke wasn't fired along with the caveman. Here's my question,whatever happened to the report that Gase was Baalkes hire and Jed threw a monkey wrench and told Gase that he would only get the job if he made the idiot DC? Did Jed make up the report to keep his friend Baalke from getting much blame for a horrible hire ?

He had to ruin another off season and draft.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Laughable how Baalke wasn't fired along with the caveman.

I think it shows how much Jed felt tied to Baalke from his earlier successes. He was able to overlook the choice of Tomsula over Gase because of their positive history previously (and because Jed also liked Tomsula and was wrong about his ability to be a HC). But clearly Jed saw the same problems persisting through the Baalke/Kelly relationship and finally decided he just had to move on and start fresh.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If that's true then York is a complete idiot for not firing Baalke with JT. But whatever, at least Baalke is gone and we finally got something positive going on. Ima take the good news while I can get it never know how long it will last.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by captveg:
I think it shows how much Jed felt tied to Baalke from his earlier successes. He was able to overlook the choice of Tomsula over Gase because of their positive history previously (and because Jed also liked Tomsula and was wrong about his ability to be a HC). But clearly Jed saw the same problems persisting through the Baalke/Kelly relationship and finally decided he just had to move on and start fresh.

And Kelly was a Baalke choice. Makes you wonder all the leaked stuff about Marathe and meddling and everything- where was that coming from??

Sure - but more of a somewhat forced choice I would think because of the circumstances. I'm pretty sure Baalke had less breadth of possibilities than before, with York probably emphasizing offense. Kelly also was trying to prove that he was OK with not being the personnel guy, but of course the result was that Baalke had so much control over the roster and Kelly so little that it seemingly led to immediate conflicts.

And Kelly was a Baalke choice. Makes you wonder all the leaked stuff about Marathe and meddling and everything- where was that coming from??

It'd be weird if Baalke's raspy voice was just for show, like how Gilbert Gottfried does it.
It still doesn't mean York told Baalke to hire Tomsula. Just because York told Gase going into the interview that everything was up to Baalke doesn't mean it's true. I agree that it was time for Baalke to be fired, but I still can't see him choosing Tomsula over Gase.
Originally posted by zonkers:

It'd be weird if Baalke's raspy voice was just for show, like how Gilbert Gottfried does it.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Baalke making all the decisions was a good thing, it held him accountable, and inevitably lead to his firing!
Share 49ersWebzone