There are 183 users in the forums

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long are you prepared to wait for success from new GM/HC (winning season of 9-7)?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Three. Year one I expect the foundation to be laid. Year two, I expect noticeable improvement because unless we're lucky with some home run acquisitions in the Draft/FA, we still likely won't be a winner or playoff team. Year three is the year we should have the personnel we need to be a winner.

This
This mess of a roster from Terrible Trent did not happen overnight.

I most definitely won't be fixed in 1-2 seasons.

Totally unrealistic.

3 seasons to a winning record and we're in the playoffs by year 4.
Crazy most of us think alike before i even clicked the poll i had made up my mind 3 Seasons is about right. I mean i know we dont have the best roster but i also know we do have some young talent on this team that with the right pieces we can inprove in a season or 2.

It would be very dumb of any one to think we are going to 20 plus wins next year. We are officially in Rebuilding mode and with that it is very unfair to think anything but 3 years to really start to see results. If people think this is going to be a quick fix then maybe it's time to get a reality check. Playoffs by year 4, year 3 if things go really well.
I voted 4 seasons:

Meaning (for me), I'd like to see the teams back in the Playoffs, during the 2020-2021 season. I understand as Fans,
we all see thing differently ... that stated (and IMO), the posters who voted for 2 seasons are being unrealistic ... with
the current state of our franchise at the moment. Of course, if the team is competing for, or wins the NFCW before then,
I'd be more than pleased.
  • Jiks
This team has a decent amount of raw potential. If the new GM comes in and adds some veteran pieces and maybe an impact player or two I think this team could make a solid leap year one. That's not saying a winning record but the start of a foundation needs to be built. Year 2 we play it similar adding some smaller pieces and another top 12 pick. Year 3 we should really start seeing the fruits of our labor.
With all the parity in the league it won't be surprising if we turn this around in a year or 2
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
This a full blown ground up, rebuild, it will take time. 3-4 years. We have a number of needs. We are good at O-line, defensive back, and safety, for now.

To be competitive we need:
An edge rusher, and pocket collapsing nose tackle.
We need two inside linebackers, who can stuff the run, and cover, Bowman is done in my opinion, no longer reliable for a whole season.

We need, a top ten Wide Receiver.
A franchise QB.
A running back who can play a full season to split time with Hyde.
A fullback, who can catch, run and block.

These additions, and good coaching can get us to 7-9, 8-8. We could fill all these holes, with a perfect draft, and perfect free agency period...so not likely this year, but by next year for sure.

With these players in place, our next GM will be able to add difference makers, where we are "set for now" a shut down corner, and a stud center.

I feel for any team to be successful, you need a blue chip player at each level. it take 6-7 guys. To be a Super Bowl team the majority of those guys need to be pro-bowl caliber.

On defense, you need a blue chip linemen, linebacker, and defensive back.
On offense a blue chip linemen, running back, and receiver, the difference maker, is can you find a blue chip QB. These six or seven guys elevate the rest of the team.

4-5 of them develop into pro bowlers, and you have the makings of championship run.

We currently have maybe 2-3 of these guys on the roster; Hyde, Buckner, Bowman.

It could be this year, it could take several... each year is unique.

But I don't think a 'winning season' is the right metric. Being 8-8 or 9-7 is NFL purgatory. You can't get any blue chip players in the draft so you can't really improve too much, but you're too good to drop down far either.

I think the metric is that you make the playoffs and are a legitimate title contender (like we were 2011, 2012, and 2013). That's where we want to be, not an 'also-run' like the Lions or Texans were this year.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I really think next year will be another tough season, but I'm excited to see new personnel. I feel that if Shanahan is who I thought he was we will be playoff bound in 3 years and competitive every year.

I'm prepared to wait 3 seasons, but I'm not sure 9-7 is the right benchmark. There are a lot of ways to get to 9-7, and not all of them represent a stable tangible build. The Jets were 10-6 a year ago after a disasterous 2014 season, but clearly they weren't building anything, and instead invested in bad older plugs like Marshall, Revis, and Fitzpatrick.

After 3 seasons I expect to be where the Vikings are now. To have tangible franchise pieces, real strengths, and a clear path to become a real contender for a Super Bowl. They didn't make the playoffs, but their deficiencies are concentrated and they have decent options at QB. Everybody is going to say the Raiders, but they literally stumbled into a franchise QB and a top 5 defensive player in the same draft. Oftentimes those 2 don't even exist in the same draft. Could we be that lucky, sure? However, I don't think we can expect as clear of an ascension with just a good coach/gm hire.
It's kind of hard to say...largely because we don't have a GM yet, although I'll be very surprised if it's not GB's Gutekunst. So, assuming he pairs w/Shanahan, it'll be very interesting to see how they mesh WRT their off-season and future plans to build our team back into a real contender. The cupboard's not totally bare by any means...the OL's decent and should continue to improve as youngsters Brown & Garnett gain more experience. Real help's needed at the RB, WR and TE positions, no doubt about that. Oh yeah, then there's that QB issue...I'm sure that's one our new leadership will put a lot of thought into. No clue yet on how they'll view this year's QB's in the draft...just basing it on so many overall needs, I'd be inclined to say I don't really see them drafting a QB real early. Could be totally wrong on that, but I think their best move is to find a trading partner that'll cough up @ 3 high picks to move up to #2. The more high picks this draft, the better. The draft bodes well for RB's, WR's, TE's and OL. Also lots of good DL, LB's, some good secondary guys. If they find a real stout NT in FA, that'd be great. It's a huge void for our entire defense. So is ILB depth...with both Bowman & Ray Ray coming off injuries, they'll need to bulk up the middle of our defense. Again, trading down can help fill a number of holes/depth. Signing enough good FA's to mesh with all the young talent will be key. If they're really successful doing that, it can shorten the time to become a playoff contender.
1 Season
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
better win the super bowl next year or bye bye shanny. jed dont f**k around
It's all gonna depend on FA....but I know next years FA, along with the draft this year&in 2018 can play a role in how we're going to approach this years FA. So at the end of the day I'll understand if we don't go for the gold this year in terms of spending money. IMO you gotta atleast lure 2-4 starters doe.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone