LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 177 users in the forums

Richard Sherman CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Usually I agree with things he says, but I think he's missing the mark on this one

I like Sherm and usually I also agree with a lot of his takes. This though no no I don't. To pay anyone significant money right now when nobody knows what will happen with the cap or season would be bad business. Just my opinion but there are more important things to be upset about that Cam's money. Race plays a role in a lot of things but this one not so sure. I agree there are a lot worse players making way more but I'm sure if the teams could get out of those deals they would. Everyone loves green.
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Jun 29, 2020 at 1:40 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Cam has been a broken down player - for anyone to complain that he's not getting his, is just being ridiculous.
Wasn't Sherman "accused" of taking a cheap contract with the 49ers when he signed here? Didn't he tell those making those statements that they had no idea what they were talking about? Wasn't the contract heavily laced with incentives? Wasn't he coming off a major injury that reduced his value?

SMDH.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Wasn't Sherman "accused" of taking a cheap contract with the 49ers when he signed here? Didn't he tell those making those statements that they had no idea what they were talking about? Wasn't the contract heavily laced with incentives? Wasn't he coming off a major injury that reduced his value?

SMDH.

Literally everything is becoming a racial issue at this point. If Cam was healthy, or even had been available to fly around to different team facilities and get checked out by doctors, he would've gotten a better deal. The fact that he didn't factor into that in and spouted off like it was some kind of injustice is embarrassing.
Keep talking that talk Sherman!
Originally posted by random49er:
Why would you view an ongoing problem that deserves discussion as being "against the league"....?

The pay certain players are able to receive compared to other comparable players is HEAVILY lopsided in the NFL right now,...and has been for some time. There are different things that factor into these situations, but it's bad enough for the ones that are under contract or tagged for an extra year or two,....let alone the ones that are free agents and cant even get offered fair deals.

Sherman has always irked me with his mouth but I'd argue that it is his league to begin with. The players make the game,....it's their league. The owners are just revenue collectors and do next to nothing.

Players like him speak out because he wants to see improvements in his league,...even when he is no longer playing. He puts the blood, sweat, and tears into making football appear fun on tv,...so guys like him are really out there to help more than anything.

Notice how basketball payouts, contracts, et al. seem to be 30-40 years ahead of the way they do business with the players. The treatment of the players in the NFL compared to the revenue collected is downright archaic, IMO. Look at a few of the major threads on this forum right now,...whether we're discussing Jamal Adams, George Kittle, Trent Williams, and now Cam,...the same theme that recurs is evident: Players that would normally deserve alot more are signed up to get alot less with little-to-no recourse,...especially in comparison to other players.

Keeping players like Kittle around shouldnt destroy a team's salary cap the way it is currently slated to do,....which falsely redirects the guilt towards "greedy" players. There is no luxury tax and the hard cap's ceiling is set every year for 1 reason, and that's to grossly underpay players.

The players that shut up, take their money, and go are the ones that are really against the league vs. the types like Sherman.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
His insinuations about Cam's deal. I dint think there is anything nefarious at play here. He's broken down and has had major injuries

I'd be right on this train until I look at the salaries of a # of backup-worthy QBs,...even ones on relatively-new contracts.

The cap is set in the CBA to be a certain % of revenue, not to hold down value. That number is right around 50% which seems reasonable. You open a business to make money and that's what owners are doing. They take the risk, pay the vendors, etc. People seem to think that players hold all the leverage but it's no different then any other job where someone else is always willing to do it and the fact is your skillset is only valuable at doing this one thing. None of these dudes are making that money in any other career option.

They negotiated and agreed because they need the money. Complaining about it now is stupid with the average person incapable of even imagining making the league minimum, let alone the $100 mil Newton has made in his career. Every time any of them complain about money, players or owners, I move a step closer to not watching anymore.
[ Edited by RedGoldSquatch on Jun 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM ]
  • Jiks
Spoiled athletes. Still love Sherm though.
Cam signed with NE. Look how much they paid Hoyer. Granted Cam's better but point is you go there you play at a discount. Hell even Tom played a discount compared to other great qb's.
Yea i agree with Sherm
Nobody who gets paid in millions is "underpaid". Stop that nonsense.

Is there anything Sherman does not b***h about? Just shut up and play football
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Cutitoff:
Is there anything Sherman does not b***h about? Just shut up and play football

non-PI calls. that's about it.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Cam has been a broken down player - for anyone to complain that he's not getting his, is just being ridiculous.
Didn't he get a $7.5 million dollar contract for the Pats? How in the world is that cheap fer one year! Wut da hut da?!?
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jun 30, 2020 at 5:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Didn't he get a $7.5 million dollar contract for the Pats? How in the world is that cheap fer one year! Wut da hut da?!?

The minimum guarantee is $1.05 million everything else is incentive based.
anyone else think we re-sign sherm for another year? if he leaves next year we are f**ked in the secondary
Share 49ersWebzone