There are 89 users in the forums

Richard Sherman is a NINER

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by midrdan:
I actually would be ok if they cut him. But he would have value in a trade too. Moseley and AK on the outside. Use the $10 million in savings to make a run at Byron Jones.

Save 10 to spend over well over 15? And take away the leader on the back end on of our biggest locker room leaders? No thanks.

Sherman is the best FA signing we've had in 5 years.
lol

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
When the Big Dick speaks, you should listen.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by fropwns:

Can we please extend him!

Can we please extend him!

lol did you forget to change to an alt account?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
In the past there seems to be a trend that good corners that are slowing down transition to safety. That seems to be happening less these days, and I can't think of such a transition since the Joe Montana days. Sherman, with his high football IQ would seem like a natural choice to switch to safety, although he is still performing at a high level at corner so I wouldn't expect it to happen this year. Is there a reason he should retire at corner, or is safety in his future?
with his IQ you would think it makes sense.. but I think RS needs that sideline and not open space to perform well
I think he'll be good at safety, except for one thing. In theory, the safety position has to make more tackles run/pass than his current CB position. At his older age, I'm not sure that his body can stay healthy for the thumping.
  • thl408
Sherman at safety could work. Probably best suited in a scheme that plays with two high safeties to reduce the area he has to cover. Him playing safety would allow him to function even better as an on the field coach since he could presnap audible to the other DBs.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
I thought we were thin at CB. All over sudden we should move our best CB to Safety?

• thl408
Originally posted by Mayor:
I thought we were thin at CB. All over sudden we should move our best CB to Safety?

I don't think we are talking about moving Sherman to safety this year. This is discussion for later in his career. 49ers already have their starting safeties for 2020, Ward/Tartt.
Originally posted by thl408:
Sherman at safety could work. Probably best suited in a scheme that plays with two high safeties to reduce the area he has to cover. Him playing safety would allow him to function even better as an on the field coach since he could presnap audible to the other DBs.

So possibly something like Sherman/Ward or Moore combo if Tartt leaves? Would provide more of a single high option to pair with him and he could offset the communication piece they'd be losing with Tartt since he is the one running things back there. Showed how much they missed him when he was out.

This is my biggest fear. Not really built for a box S and ours are interchangeable a lot and are asked to cover a lot of ground when in C3.
Originally posted by fryet:
In the past there seems to be a trend that good corners that are slowing down transition to safety. That seems to be happening less these days, and I can't think of such a transition since the Joe Montana days. Sherman, with his high football IQ would seem like a natural choice to switch to safety, although he is still performing at a high level at corner so I wouldn't expect it to happen this year. Is there a reason he should retire at corner, or is safety in his future?

Charles Woodson. Can't think of too many others though.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

So possibly something like Sherman/Ward or Moore combo if Tartt leaves? Would provide more of a single high option to pair with him and he could offset the communication piece they'd be losing with Tartt since he is the one running things back there. Showed how much they missed him when he was out.

Yeah that could work Ward/Sherman. Kam Chancellor was asked to play deep safety in Cover3 as a changeup, so Sherman can be placed in a single high situation here and there, especially if the 49ers pass rush continues to play well. It'll be interesting to see how the 2020 defense looks regarding the percentage of times they play two deep safeties.
Share 49erswebzone