LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New Head Coach Search Commences! Rumors and all else goes here!

I feel that the "no good coach would want to come here " narrative has merit but Baalke's ego leaving will help. We all recognize Baalke draft picks when we see them, most of which must've opposed harb/Kelly. Coaches have to at least interview to learn the new chain of command/trust to see how much pull they will have.

Huge if but IF someone is given some autonomy, good coaches would come here.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's considered one of the top HC candidates available this year. The best coach available to be hired IMO.

You can look at him like he's just some special teams coach or you can look at him having an incredible record of success, being a tremendous leader, well-respected and a guy that everyone seems to love, whether they work with him, play for him or coach against him.

He's been working with Andy Reid for almost 20 years and has long drawn interest as a head coach but just like Bruce Arians, he's gotten passed over for largely trivial reasons. I think he could be a fantastic head coach once given the opportunity.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

Many of his players over the years have told me Toub should be leading an entire team, not merely one unit. He's a leader of men. He commands respect. He gets the best out of players. He is arguably the best coach on Reid's esteemed staff in Kansas City, and Reid has been nothing but a developer of NFL coaches. He grows them. And Toub is one of his best, yet the fact that he coaches special teams works against him. That still remains true in spite of Hall of Famers like George Allen and Marv Levy were coaches who came through the special teams pipeline, not to mention Bobby Ross or Baltimore's John Harbaugh, another one of Reid's disciples.

' "He's a combination of Harbaugh and John Madden," one of Toub's former colleagues said. "He is the real deal. This guy can coach. Period. He's a big guy, physically, who can take over a room when he has to. He gets people to buy in. These guys love playing for him. He comes from a great [coaching] family tree. Look at Andy Reid's assistants over the years. This guy is ready. All he needs is a chance."

A personnel exec who used to work with Toub, 54, said: "If Dave Toub can't get a job in this league, then I give up. Talk to other coaches in the league. They know who is for real and who is horses**t or the flavor of the month. This guy can coach a football team. He'd be the first guy I'd talk to, and it isn't even really close."

I'm warming up to this idea with Ballard
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Pass lol

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He has the upside to be a great coach more than any of the other candidates I see. Its a largely mediocre group of coaches for the most part and I think that Toub will be a guy that the team that finally gives him the opportunity to be a head coach, just like with Arians, will be extremely happy with the results.

If Toub was an OC for many years then I'd be on board. Not with a STC.
Dave Toub?

wtf are you serious

He's considered one of the top HC candidates available this year. The best coach available to be hired IMO.

You can look at him like he's just some special teams coach or you can look at him having an incredible record of success, being a tremendous leader, well-respected and a guy that everyone seems to love, whether they work with him, play for him or coach against him.

He's been working with Andy Reid for almost 20 years and has long drawn interest as a head coach but just like Bruce Arians, he's gotten passed over for largely trivial reasons. I think he could be a fantastic head coach once given the opportunity.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

Many of his players over the years have told me Toub should be leading an entire team, not merely one unit. He's a leader of men. He commands respect. He gets the best out of players. He is arguably the best coach on Reid's esteemed staff in Kansas City, and Reid has been nothing but a developer of NFL coaches. He grows them. And Toub is one of his best, yet the fact that he coaches special teams works against him. That still remains true in spite of Hall of Famers like George Allen and Marv Levy were coaches who came through the special teams pipeline, not to mention Bobby Ross or Baltimore's John Harbaugh, another one of Reid's disciples.

' "He's a combination of Harbaugh and John Madden," one of Toub's former colleagues said. "He is the real deal. This guy can coach. Period. He's a big guy, physically, who can take over a room when he has to. He gets people to buy in. These guys love playing for him. He comes from a great [coaching] family tree. Look at Andy Reid's assistants over the years. This guy is ready. All he needs is a chance."

A personnel exec who used to work with Toub, 54, said: "If Dave Toub can't get a job in this league, then I give up. Talk to other coaches in the league. They know who is for real and who is horses**t or the flavor of the month. This guy can coach a football team. He'd be the first guy I'd talk to, and it isn't even really close."

Please no.

Weren't you high on Trestman as well Phoenix? All of the same arguments were made for Trestman, and Trestman even had Offensive clout.

So you'd hire Norv Turner at HC over John Harbaugh because the latter was only a special teams coordinator?

Toub hasn't just been a special teams coordinator, he's been the best in the NFL over the past 12 years.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Please no.

Weren't you high on Trestman as well Phoenix? All of the same arguments were made for Trestman, and Trestman even had Offensive clout.

The Bears actually hired Trestman over Toub for HC. That worked out well for them. Trestman was also never as consistent as Toub was. Trestman had some good years as an OC. Toub has been the best as a special teams coordinator in the NFL. His guys have gotten the best results and he's had tremendous success in both Chicago and KC.

None of the coaches available impress me with the exception of Toub and possibly Kyle Shanahan and Teryl Austin. The rest are either so-so retreads, inexperienced or justr meh.

A Chris Ballard at GM and Dave Toub at HC combo would be a great way for this team to start rebuilding IMO.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:40 PM ]

So you'd hire Norv Turner at HC over John Harbaugh because the latter was only a special teams coordinator?

Toub hasn't just been a special teams coordinator, he's been the best in the NFL over the past 12 years.

Give me a list of 5 guys not named John Harbaugh that have had success as an HC after being a long time STC
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Please no.

The Bears actually hired Trestman over Toub for HC. That worked out well for them.

None of the coaches available impress me with the exception of Toub and possibly Kyle Shanahan and Teryl Austin. The rest are either so-so retreads, inexperienced or justr meh.

A Chris Ballard at GM and Dave Toub at HC combo would be a great way for this team to start rebuilding IMO.

All I want to know is when are we gonna get paid back for supplying the caliper of guys like Holmgren and Shanahan when we were a dynasty we kinda need right about now.
Give me a list of 5 guys not named John Harbaugh that have had success as an HC after being a long time STC

Very few guys make that transition but the list includes guys like George Allen, Marv Levy and Bobby Ross. If a special teams coach excels enough to reach that level of being considered for a HC spot, I definitely think they are worth a look.

You can read up on Toub and basically everything out there is positive. The guy is excellent at scheming and gameplanning, he was crucial to the success of Devin Hester and a multitude of other players, he's worked with coaches on both sides of the ball and he has the unique perspective of having managed both offensive and defensive players on special teams.

Special teams coaches get overlooked but the guys who have been hired coming from primarily special teams have tended to be successful head coaches.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-head-coaching-openings-special-teams-dick-vermeil-john-harbaugh-bill-cowher-mike-ditka-121615

"Certain guys kind of bring it up and it's talked about," Denver special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis told FOXSports.com in a telephone interview.

"You always want to advance from the position you're in. A lot of people in the industry looking to move up want to be an offensive or defensive coordinator. For us, the next step is really becoming a head coach."

Yet with the exception of Baltimore's John Harbaugh, no one whose main area of football expertise is special teams has gotten that opportunity in more than two decades.

The snub makes little sense on the surface. Special teams constitute roughly 22 percent of all plays in an NFL game. The duties inherent in leading those units far better mimic the responsibilities that come with being a head coach.

"You get to work with the entire team," DeCamillis said. "That's the biggest thing. You're not just an offensive or defensive guy."

But of the league's current special-teams coordinators, only five — DeCamillis, Brad Seely (Raiders), Keith Armstrong (Falcons), Rich Bisaccia (Cowboys) and Dave Toub (Chiefs) — have received head-coaching interviews. Most of the positions they didn't land went to hot-shot offensive and defensive assistants who had far less NFL experience and ultimately flamed out as head coaches.

"They're overlooked," Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio said. "I think it has to do with some of the (media) hype. Nobody on the staff is as prepared to lead the team as the special-teams coordinator."

The fact they keep getting snubbed year after year is a recurring point of frustration in the special-teams community.

"Anybody who does this for a living would like to be in charge at some time," Seely told FOXSports.com.

That is one of the reasons Harbaugh is held in high regard by his former peers.

Recognizing that "only" being a special-teams coordinator was an impediment toward becoming a head coach, Harbaugh shifted to handling Philadelphia's secondary in 2007. The decision paid huge dividends. After reinventing himself as more "well-rounded," Harbaugh was hired to lead the Ravens the following season.

Make no mistake about it, though. Harbaugh will openly admit the experience gained in nine years as Philadelphia's special-teams coach is what laid the foundation for him to lead the Ravens to six playoff appearances and a Super Bowl win in eight years at the helm.

"There's a lot of respect for John," Seely said. "He was one of us for a long time. He got the opportunity to be a head coach and the results speak for themselves. He's been fabulous."

The same can be said of five other legendary head coaches who cut their teeth on special teams for an extended period of time: Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka, Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick.

Levy and Vermeil were the first two assistant coaches dedicated solely to special teams, being named to the position with Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Rams respectively in 1969. When Vermeil returned to the college ranks the following season, Levy replaced him working with the Rams under another future Pro Football Hall of Fame head coach in George Allen.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM ]
Pass lol

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He has the upside to be a great coach more than any of the other candidates I see. Its a largely mediocre group of coaches for the most part and I think that Toub will be a guy that the team that finally gives him the opportunity to be a head coach, just like with Arians, will be extremely happy with the results.

He's not a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination but the more details that I dig up on him, the more I begin to like him. I've been reading up on him for a couple of days now and Phoenix is right. He's highly respected for his craft. Special teams coordinators don't get the love or attention or even respect that offensive and defensive coordinators do but I'm sure Ravens fans where underwhelmed with a special teams coach until he brought them numerous playoff appearances and a super bowl win. Special teams players get the unique experience of working with both offensive and defensive players and a guy like Toub that has the respect of his peers can probably reel in a pretty good coaching staff. Which leads me to... One other thing Phoenix alluded to in another thread and he's right is a guy like Toub would be able to lure in a top notch offensive and defensive coordinator because they'd have a bit autonomy in their respective sides of the ball. That's great for a former head coach looking to repair his image for another shot or a guy like Wade Philips that at this point is a coordinator for life but can do things the way that he likes too.

Like I said, I agree he's not the most attractive pick for a head coach but I highly suggest you just take a little time to read up on him, he just might grow on you.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM ]

Very few guys make that transition but the list includes guys like George Allen, Marv Levy and Bobby Ross. If a special teams coach excels enough to reach that level of being considered for a HC spot, I definitely think they are worth a look.

You can read up on Toub and basically everything out there is positive. The guy is excellent at scheming and gameplanning, he was crucial to the success of Devin Hester and a multitude of other players, he's worked with coaches on both sides of the ball and he has the unique perspective of having managed both offensive and defensive players on special teams.

Jed needs to knock the GM hire out of the park. That is the most crucial hire IMO. If they want Toub then fine, but a s**tty GM + Toub will fail once again.
Why Dave Toub? Highly accomplished special teams coach whose units are perpetually in the Top 3 in the NFL. As a ST coach he has to work with both offense and defense. He's highly regarded by his players, the coaches he's worked with and coaches and personnel executives around the NFL. He is a former NFL draft pick and has worked for a long time under both Andy Reid and Lovie Smith. He has a reputation for being a tough, fiery leader that emphasizes the importance of defense and special teams. A DC or OC with his level of consistent excellence would have gotten a HC gig long ago. If the 49ers were to hire Chris Ballard from KC as GM, Toub would likely be his choice for head coach.
First off, I haven't heard much about Dave Toub before, so thanks for all of the great info.

It sounds like Toub has a lot of great qualities. The fact that he's only been a Special Teams coach doesn't scare me. John Harbaugh made the same leap (ST coach with Philly for 10 years, HC in Baltimore) and I'm sure the Ravens are thrilled with out how he's turned out. Tomsula was over his head going from d-line coach to head coach (it's well-documented how often promotions of that magnitude have failed in the NFL).

It would also be awesome to team him up with Ballard. Two guys from one organization would be awesome, as they'd have a similar philosophy and -- as cheesy this sounds -- some level of preexisting synergy.

The Shanahans are intriguing, but Mike is going to be 65 in August. Do we really want to bring in a 65-year-old general manager? I want a Ted Thompson, an Ozzie Newsome -- someone who will be here for 10-15+ years. That's clearly not going to happen with Mike Shanahan. (I know that Kyle Shanahan does not necessarily require Mike, but a lot of people are throwing the pair out there as something they covet.)

Anyway, Ballard/Toub would be a coup. Of course, this organization hired Jim ****ing Tomsula and showed Jim Harbaugh the door, so I have absolutely zero faith that they're going to do anything remotely reasonable. We can dream, but I'm not holding my breath.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
He's not a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination but the more details that I dig up on him, the more I begin to like him. I've been reading up on him for a couple of days now and Phoenix is right. He's highly respected for his craft. Special teams coordinators don't get the love or attention or even respect that offensive and defensive coordinators do but I'm sure Ravens fans where underwhelmed with a special teams coach until he brought them numerous playoff appearances and a super bowl win. Special teams players get the unique experience of working with both offensive and defensive players and a guy like Toub that has the respect of his peers can probably reel in a pretty good coaching staff. Which leads me to... One other thing Phoenix alluded to in another thread and he's right is a guy like Toub would be able to lure in a top notch offensive and defensive coordinator because they'd have a bit autonomy in their respective sides of the ball.

Like I said, I agree he's not the most attractive pick for a head coach but I highly suggest you just take a little time to read up on him, he just might grow on you.

Was Tomsula highly respected for his craft?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
He's not a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination but the more details that I dig up on him, the more I begin to like him. I've been reading up on him for a couple of days now and Phoenix is right. He's highly respected for his craft. Special teams coordinators don't get the love or attention or even respect that offensive and defensive coordinators do but I'm sure Ravens fans where underwhelmed with a special teams coach until he brought them numerous playoff appearances and a super bowl win. Special teams players get the unique experience of working with both offensive and defensive players and a guy like Toub that has the respect of his peers can probably reel in a pretty good coaching staff. Which leads me to... One other thing Phoenix alluded to in another thread and he's right is a guy like Toub would be able to lure in a top notch offensive and defensive coordinator because they'd have a bit autonomy in their respective sides of the ball.

This is a good point.

Besides the head coach, the special teams coach is the only guy on the staff entrusted with clock management and other in-game responsibilities. He also must adjust to losing more players than any other unit

And this too. So you get someone that is balanced and not prone to favoring defense necessarily(Nolan/Singletary) or offense(Kelly/Payton) to the detriment of the other side of the ball.

A special teams coach comes in with no inherent bias to either side of the ball, and thus no sentimental ties or desires of offense over defense (or vice versa) in terms of roster composition with the GM.
Kyle Shannahan! IMO the best offense. Finally got that Falcons O to click. Even when Julio and Sanu were out, that offense didnt miss a beat.

My second choice would be Bevell. He runs a very good offense that caters to the player's strength. We would also be snagging the Seahawks OC away from them. Bevell will also know the in and outs of the seahawks and will be able to build a team to take them down. It also would guarantee we land Gus Bradley as DC
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone