LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

49ers Week 13 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I think Chip should get at least another year and I think he is a good coach. But if he does not fire Jim O'Neil and find a respectable DC, he will have almost no change no matter who the GM is here.

BTW Marvin, if you had to guess, do you think Baalke will be fired?

Thanks again for your great posts.

Yes.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

1) Kap: Yes, he had a rough day. Yes, It was statistically the worst passing performance by a Niner in like 50 years.

I think peeps need to chill a bit on that tho. The dude ATTEMPTED 5 passes and at least 2 were dropped. He was sacked 5 times. Meanwhile they ran for 122 years in the FIRST HALF. It was pretty clear that the gameplan was to run the hell out of the ball. I kept hearing during the game that he had never played in snow and that he would have to learn how to play in the cold...but it ain't exactly balmy in Reno in the winter. He didn't have much trouble in one of the coldest games on record vs the Packers in a playoff game a few years ago.

I dunno what was up with that game, but honestly I think that was more a fluke than anything else. Now I'm not saying to write it off completely but he had just had his best 4 game stretch in years. Perspective is in order.

Good luck trying to get people to agree with this.

No need. Whomever is the QB is SF will always be a polarizing figure. Trying to convince anyone of anything about any player at that position is useless.

I was at a game about a month ago when the 49ers were on D. The D gave up an easy TD and the guy next to me started yelling "Kap, you SUCK!!" at the top of his lungs.

They had just been DEFENSE. Sigh.

A few years back I was at the Packers playoff game at the 'stick where Kap went off.

Midway through the first quarter a fan in front of me was yelling that they never throw the ball down the field and every pass was 5-10 yards downfield. I tried to calmly express the fact that Kap was averaging 8.3 yard per attempt and only completed 62% of his passes which would make his argument mathematically impossible. He basically told me where to shove it and kept drinking his beer.

I'm old enough to remember people hating Steve Young because he wasn't Joe Montana.

QB will always be polarizing regardless of the facts. I'm not even pretending that my opinion of this week is factual either. Its all opinion.

IE, no need to even try to convince anyone.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Disagree on their rushing offense. Take away QB runs and the OL does not seem to do a good job opening up holes and the YPC is not very good.

For the year I agree, the OL run blocking has been subpar, and the "4th in the NFL" rushing stat is misleading. For this CHI game though, I thought the OL did well in the run game. Hyde was getting good yardage.

I'm not trying to say they are fantastic...my point is that running the ball is one of the things they've actually been able to do with some success with some regularity. In a game where the QB completed one pass and was sacked 5 times it seemed odd to me to pick the running game is the thing to be critical of.

In this game they were fine, But overall they haven't been. The ranking is misleading. It's another problem point, along with many others on this team, hence the criticism .
  • thl408
Disagree on their rushing offense. Take away QB runs and the OL does not seem to do a good job opening up holes and the YPC is not very good.

For the year I agree, the OL run blocking has been subpar, and the "4th in the NFL" rushing stat is misleading. For this CHI game though, I thought the OL did well in the run game. Hyde was getting good yardage.

I'm not trying to say they are fantastic...my point is that running the ball is one of the things they've actually been able to do with some success with some regularity. In a game where the QB completed one pass and was sacked 5 times it seemed odd to me to pick the running game is the thing to be critical of.

Going back to what Middlekauf said about (paraphrased) "in this weather, run more power, not inside zone". My guess is that with power/gap blocking, the OL identifies their target and sticks their block - 1v1. In zone blocking, there's more double teaming, then peeling off blocks to find another block, which can be tricky in the wet snow (foot traction) because OL have more change of direction as they hunt down a LB after coming off double teams of DL. If that was his point I can see the validity of it, but like you said, the running game was doing pretty well for Hyde.
IMO, it always goes back to the penalties... ALL season.

We pass for good yardage to make a conversion easier... penalty.

we run the ball well on the first play...get in good position to try a few more play.... penalty.

I'm just going off memory, but in the Bears game... we ran the ball well...and it made sense to stick with the run. But nope penalties, which drove us back and make conversions harder.

This offense would look ALOT different without the penalties, and I think that is what Chip reassures the front office with... we always get them at the worse times. But that also goes back to coaching, so..... all we can do is just sit back and watch...and feel as if we are poked to death with safety pins.

...don't really get this to be honest.

"Take away the QB runs". Huh? You can't do that. The QB running is part of the design of the offense. They had ZERO ability to move the ball in the air and still picked up chunks of yards in the run game.

The misdirection of the QB possibly keeping the ball and running is a part of the design.

I'm not trying to make out that they are world beaters or something, but there are MUCH, MUCH bigger fish to fry than the run game.
1) Kap: Yes, he had a rough day. Yes, It was statistically the worst passing performance by a Niner in like 50 years.

I think peeps need to chill a bit on that tho. The dude ATTEMPTED 5 passes and at least 2 were dropped. He was sacked 5 times. Meanwhile they ran for 122 years in the FIRST HALF. It was pretty clear that the gameplan was to run the hell out of the ball. I kept hearing during the game that he had never played in snow and that he would have to learn how to play in the cold...but it ain't exactly balmy in Reno in the winter. He didn't have much trouble in one of the coldest games on record vs the Packers in a playoff game a few years ago.

I dunno what was up with that game, but honestly I think that was more a fluke than anything else. Now I'm not saying to write it off completely but he had just had his best 4 game stretch in years. Perspective is in order.

It would be considered a fluke if it didn't happen all the time.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

It would be considered a fluke if it didn't happen all the time.

um....

...please show me the last time Kap was 1 for 5 with 5 sacks.
Dude, Kaepernick is completing less then 38% of his passes (not including the Miami game) in the 2nd half
Including the Miami game, he is completing 43% in the 2nd half
Kaep has had terrible games all the time
Originally posted by sacniner:
Thanks, Marvin. You're a G for still creating this thread.

Sorry to hear about the job situation and good luck my man.

This so much

• Jasta
  • Veteran
To me it just looked like the team didn't want to be playing football in a Chicago blizzard... and the way this season is going I don't entirely blame them.

It's a bad attitude to have and a sign of some serious morale and mental problems that need to be addressed before we even think about going .500 but they're only human.
Dude, Kaepernick is completing less then 38% of his passes (not including the Miami game) in the 2nd half

Didn't say he's been great. I said 1 for 5 with 5 sacks was a fluke.

I'm with you Marvin.

And 2016 has absolutely sucked.

Well my silver-lining is finding out my wife and I will be having a boy.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:

I'm with you Marvin.

And 2016 has absolutely sucked.

Well my silver-lining is finding out my wife and I will be having a boy.

Gratz!!
Nice rundown. I've read the "Kap only threw 5 passes" argument a few times, but he dropped back to pass something like 15 times(?). He missed some reads to scramble, took some sacks (some justified), and left throws on the field. Regarding his performance in the cold, I think it was the wet snow that played a factor in him not throwing the ball well, not so much the cold. He had two missed throws that could have gone for big gains (underthrow Draughn, overthrow Vance). It was a bad game, but like you said, I think it was a fluke considering how he had looked the previous two weeks, and the bad weather. It was good to see Hyde running well. Too bad it didn't translate into plays where the 49ers could take advantage with playaction.

This.

I know it's not fun breaking down film when the 49ers lose like that, but I would love to see what you have. What has me scratching my mostly is why wasn't pulling the trigger more?

Also does Fangio have Chip'a number? I think back to the Philly game a few years ago where they didn't cross the 50 until late in the game. I imagine with pattern matching, it took away a lot of those crossing routes.
Share 49ersWebzone