LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Do you think Chip returns to Oregon?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think Chip returns to Oregon?

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
It would make us look even WORSE on top of how we already look.

Better?

You say it'll make us look bad but Saban did it in Miami. And even worse Petrino left ATL right after saying he wasn't. If he's smart he leaves and let us start over with someone young and hungry
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
He should return.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Yes, but only for a visit to his favorite buffet

China Sun on gateway?
Just don't me think so guys. Let him get some weapons, let's spend some effiing money and have a strong off season.. people second year,re-inforcements. I think there's an interesting chance.
Chip Kelly every offseason will have options if he wants to return to college. I don't think he leaves this time.

Chip Kelly seems like the type that wants to prove people wrong about him in the NFL and show that he can win in it consistently. Going back to Oregon will no doubt be a safe move for him but I don't see him going backwards in his career just yet.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 30, 2016 at 3:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Chip Kelly every offseason will have options if he wants to return to college. I don't think he leaves this time.

Chip Kelly seems like the type that wants to prove people wrong about him in the NFL and show that he can win in it consistently. Going back to Oregon will no doubt be a safe move for him but I don't see him going backwards in his career just yet.

Yeah, especially say if he gets what he feels he needs for the offense and agrees/input on defensive free agent/draft class.

Pretty much in a way he's getting his "recruited" class that he'd get if he was in college lol.
No
Let's say Baalke is gone and Tom Gamble steps into the GM role, Chip would have a major influence on the direction of the team. He would instantly become one of the most powerful NFL coaches in the NFL. One good draft, key free agent signings and the continued growth of Kap puts this team in a great position moving forward. Chip is in the process of turning this thing around, his offense works, and he can coach. Cutting ties with him now will only send us to new lows.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Let's say Baalke is gone and Tom Gamble steps into the GM role, Chip would have a major influence on the direction of the team. He would instantly become one of the most powerful NFL coaches in the NFL. One good draft, key free agent signings and the continued growth of Kap puts this team in a great position moving forward. Chip is in the process of turning this thing around, his offense works, and he can coach. Cutting ties with him now will only send us to new lows.

Agree with you one hunnit though I might still wanna keep a Baalke for defensive purposes unless it can't work with Chip. But Kelly and gamble are two hands to Baalkes one could so perhaps it could all workout in the end haha.

We can all put our thangs away for a second and release the kraken. We can make 5 free agent signings,and re-signing some dudes happen easily heading into a solid draft where we can make moves. I'm intrigued.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 30, 2016 at 4:02 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

You think any college will be willing to buy out his 9ers contract other than Oregon with Phil Knight's massive financial backing?

Also, this might not necessarily be up to him. Look, Tomsula had a 5-11 season and noone thought he would get fired and yet Jed York pulled the trigger. What makes you think Jed York wouldn't fire him with a much worse record say at 1-15? Jed York might not even have a choice when the fans' sentiments are this strong.

How is this even a debate? Chip has already put this to bed. End thread
Originally posted by Rascal:

You think any college will be willing to buy out his 9ers contract other than Oregon with Phil Knight's massive financial backing?

Also, this might not necessarily be up to him. Look, Tomsula had a 5-11 season and noone thought he would get fired and yet Jed York pulled the trigger. What makes you think Jed York wouldn't fire him with a much worse record say at 1-15? Jed York might not even have a choice when the fans' sentiments are this strong.

Not any college, but there's always going to be a couple big college jobs open every year that will be able to buy out Chip's contract, I'm confident in that. Chip will never have a problem going back to college, that much I'm sure. And though it does happen, it seems to be rare that a coach returns to a college team that he left for another school or NFL team ( Bobby Petrino does come to mind as an exception).

I don't think Jed will force him out. If he fired him, that will be the fourth coach in four years. That's an abysmal look for your organization. Three in three is already bad enough. If Chip leaves on his own accord, that's one thing, but no way do I think Jed fires him. I think Baalke will get axed before Chip if Jed fires anybody.

I wouldn't say no one thought Tomsula was getting fired. There were a good amount of posters, myself included, bloggers and media outlets that thought it might happen. I will say at the last minute though in the hours leading up, it seemed most media outlets were reporting he'd be back. I don't think Jed will embarrass himself again after his speech in January and his speech after Chip was hired and fire yet again another coach so soon .

Tbh, I'm not confident that Baalke is going to get fired either this year. York is likely to preach patience and assure everyone that the team has a plan. I think Baalke deserves to be fired, because somebody needs to answer for this downfall but the most likely situation is O'Neill will be fired before anyone, and be this season's scapegoat.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM ]
It's not happening, maybe knight forks over $10+ million and buys out his contract but chip seems like a stubborn guy and wants to make it work (no way this current personnel was gonna do anything).

I ask if he leaves who the hell is gonna want to come here? 3 coaches in three yrs lol?

We will see
No. It's a forward thinking program and while Chip had great success there, they would kind of be going backwards and to the past. I think they go after a P.J Fleck or Willie Taggert. A fresh, younh new face. Just my opinion
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
No. It's a forward thinking program and while Chip had great success there, they would kind of be going backwards and to the past. I think they go after a P.J Fleck or Willie Taggert. A fresh, younh new face. Just my opinion

My thought exactly. Like I had posted, I don't think Chip will go backwards in his career. I think he legitimately wants to make the NFL work and prove that he can win.
Share 49ersWebzone