LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Week 7 Tampa Bay Bucs Coaches Film Analysis Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
It's getting difficult to gather up the curiosity to re-watch these 49er losses. In the tradition of the film series, thought I'd follow through just to put something down on record. I don't have a comprehensive game summary that touches on each aspect of the team like jonnydel normally has - that would require watching each play - but I'll try to touch on some of the key plays that let the 14-0 lead build up then slip away. If there are any plays anyone is curious about we can look at those as well. There were a few plays mentioned in a different thread that I'll review.
  • thl408
The first drive looked great with the 49ers moving down the field in five plays to score a TD (with the help of a 15 yard penalty). This was the 49er's longest pass play of the game.

vs Cover1 robber

Kap takes the snap and looks to his right. Red playing soft on Torrey's deep curl - nope. Yellow playing tight on Patton's quick Out - nope. Deep safety defeats Kerley's vertical route - nope. By looking right throughout his drop, Kap moves the robber (blue) towards the trips side.

When Kap moves to his 4th read, the robber has moved far enough to give up a passing lane to Vance's Dig.

Watch the robber follow Kap's eyes, only to vacate the passing lane.

+24. A lot of things correct on this play. Moving through progressions quickly, moving a zone defender with eyes, accurate, on rhythm throw - dropback, one hitch, throw.
  • thl408
This is Davis' first career TD. Hope he gets many more. The color commentator said this was an "inside zone read" play but it really wasn't. This is a gap/man blocking concept as Beadles pulls to kickout, and Kilgore pulls to lead through the hole. 49ers line up two TE's side by side to create a 5v5 situation on the playside.

Everyone blocks down for the two OL to pull.

Celek with a very nice seal block.

Davis presses the edge then hits daylight.
  • thl408
Here's a creative rush and coverage to force an INT. 49er will rush 4, but the 4th rusher is the slot CB (Ward). Lynch the ROLB will drop back into coverage.
vs Tampa2

AA and DeFo get blocked by 4OL, which means Brooks and Ward each get a 1v1 on the right side of the OL. Brooks wins his matchup against the RT to apply pressure and a rushed throw.

The throw to the Curl is too far towards the outside and Brock is able to deflect the pass into the air for Hodges to INT.

how could it all do a 180 after that early start.

from what I remember, it was once again untimely penalties that pushed us back from converting easier down and distances. Dropped passes that could've made conversions easier. That damn 4th down call.

and of course special teams turnovers when the games were still close (Bills & Bucs game)

Kaepernick's late pass to Vance that got pic didn't help, and gave the Bucs life. After they already scored their TD I believe.

Kap needs to know with the current team he has, compared to years past, whatever momentum we have... HE can't be the one that messes it up. The whole team is too young and fragile.

also, I wish that Chip would've went for it on that 4th down call late in the game. It could've made it a 8 pt game (I believe?), if we converted and moved down and scored a TD. but we went for a field goal made it a 12 pt game was it? with like 7mins to go. Knowing our run defense has struggled. All Tampa had to do was convert a couple of first downs running the ball, and I'm sure our defense would've gave up ( and I think they did).

but if we showed some fight and went for the 4th down play, and got it... and got a TD in that drive...it would've been a one possession game..with us having an opportunity to go for 2 to tie it. All we would've had to do on defense was stop them one time. And I think that might have been just enough juice to motivate our defense alittle more.

but when we kicked the FG... the fans started leaving. Wonder if the players noticed.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:00 PM ]
  • thl408
left side: Sail vs some sort of man coverage, maybe Cover1

Kap dropsback and looks left. Vance is head faking towards the inside before breaking towards the Corner. Even though Sail is used to bust zone, the Corner rout can win against man coverage if it's ran well.

Vance's jab step to the inside gets the blue safety leaning. A decision to target Vance needs to be made now, but there is some pressure (given up by Beadles) and Kap will step up into the pocket.

Kap steps wayyy up into the pocket and throws late to the Corner route. The safety will recover an step in front of the throw.

INT'ed

There was a need to evade pressure, but Kap takes a couple too many steps, wastes precious time, and that allowed the safety to close the separation. One big step up and that's enough to get the throw off. Take minimal time/steps to evade pressure, then make the throw, or realize it's too late to make the throw. Corner routes to the short side of the field have a small window because of the near sideline.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Afrikan:
how could it all do a 180 after that early start.

from what I remember, it was once again untimely penalties that pushed us back from converting easier down and distances. Dropped passes that could've made conversions easier. That damn 4th down call.

and of course special teams turnovers when the games were still close (Bills & Bucs game)

Kaepernick's late pass to Vance that got pic didn't help, and gave the Bucs life. After they already scored their TD I believe.

Kap needs to know with the current team he has, compared to years past, whatever momentum we have... HE can't be the one that messes it up. The whole team is too young and fragile.

also, I wish that Chip would've went for it on that 4th down call late in the game. It could've made it a 8 pt game (I believe?), if we converted and moved down and scored a TD. but we went for a field goal made it a 12 pt game was it? with like 7mins to go. Knowing our run defense has struggled. All Tampa had to do was convert a couple of first downs running the ball, and I'm sure our defense would've gave up ( and I think they did).

but if we showed some fight and went for the 4th down play, and got it... and got a TD in that drive...it would've been a one possession game..with us having an opportunity to go for 2 to tie it. All we would've had to do on defense was stop them one time. And I think that might have been just enough juice to motivate our defense alittle more.

but when we kicked the FG... the fans started leaving. Wonder if the players noticed.
ST turnovers are becoming too common. There was also a fumbled KO return vs ARI. So that's three consecutive games with ST muff/fumbles lost.

The decision to kick a FG in the 4th quarter was a show of faith in the defense to hold and get the ball back. I kind of get it. It went from a 13 point game to a 10 point game so the two scores required became a TD + FG with 8 minutes left. The defense repaid that faith by giving up a 44 yard TD run to ice the game. Bellore is terrible. No instincts at all.
CK should've just ran on that 2nd play.
May God have mercy on your soul for re watching this train wreck.
Originally posted by thl408:
The decision to kick a FG in the 4th quarter was a show of faith in the defense to hold and get the ball back. I kind of get it. It went from a 13 point game to a 10 point game so the two scores required became a TD + FG with 8 minutes left. The defense repaid that faith by giving up a 44 yard TD run to ice the game. Bellore is terrible. No instincts at all.
Sarcasm?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
How could it all do a 180 after that early start.

I wonder if we run scripted plays? The offense seemed confident for about 15 plays and then...hit the wall.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Sarcasm?

Chips call or Marathes famed analytics?
  • Tman
  • Veteran

And look at Torrey blow past coverage to get behind the defense
  • thl408

This is why there have been times that the 49ers have stayed in base to match up against 3WRs. Here, the 49ers use their nickel to match up against 11 personnel (3WRs). 49ers won't be two gapping when in nickel because there are only 2 DL in the game. LBs aren't normally going to two gap. Below are what I think the gap assignments are.
Backside guard will pull.

Bellore starts to track the play and follows the backside guard, who is pulling. As outside contain, Lynch can't get too far upfield.

Lynch gets too far upfield and gets pushed past the play. Had he stayed just one yard back and not tried to go around the block, he would have compressed that gap enough to make the RB work harder to find daylight. Bellore over commits to the playside and gets caught up in the mess.

The defense, Brooks in particular, does a good job stuffing the playside. With no lane to the right side of the OL, Rodgers looks to cut towards the backside, which has a huge lane due to Lynch moving too far upfield.

Not sure what Bellore is taught to do, but his over pursuit, Lynch getting too far upfield, and Brock missing a tackle all contribute to a +45 yard run.
  • thl408
RRobinson gave up a number of catches this game. More than any this season. This was a TD catch that looked like it was on him, but could partially be attributed to Reid.
TB will keep in extra protection and only sends out 3 routes. 49ers are in Quarters, underneath defenders in orange. The safeties usually read the #2 WR to their side to determine what to do post snap.

There is a quick playaction by Winston. The #2 on Reid's side stays in to block. This should free Reid up to double cover the #1. Notice Reid's depth, much more shallow than Bethea.

By now, it's clearly a passing play and Reid has gained zero depth from when the play started. RRobinson and Reid is supposed to bracket the #1. Notice Bethea has his attention on the lone vertical WR to his side of the field.

The #1 stems outside on RRobinson, then will break back inside. Winston already mid windup before the WR starts to exit his break.

This put the Bucs up 17-14 and that's gg.
Share 49ersWebzone