LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Is it time to trade Joe Staley?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to trade Joe Staley?

Joe has been one of our only staples but it seems he's wasting his last few valuable years on a completely talent devoid team. It will be at least 3 years before we're competitive again, so should we move him now while he still has some trade value?
Trent Baalke shouldn't be making any trade moves right now considering he's walking the plank.
Sure - if we could get a high pick or 2.

This season is a wash.

Might as well get what we can while he can still play well.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Hell no!

He's on the wrong side of 30 so he might only garnish a 4th round pick. Not worth it for what's left of the heart of this team. He's also mentioned his desire to make the 10 year wall here...why trade him when he values being on one team his entire career.
Lol no...be different if there was a LT in the wings

How about we don't have to fill yet another position in the off season
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:18 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke just waste the picks anyways.
I GOT AN IDEA, LET'S TRADE EVERY GOOD PLAYER WE HAVE FOR MORE PICKS FOR TRENT BAALKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seems like something you'd see on here in the offseason
  • dj43
NO, NO, 1000x NO.

One of the biggest problems with this team, as I see it, is the lack of veteran leadership. Willis - gone, Cowboy - gone, Bow - gone, Gore - gone, Boldin - gone, etc.

When young players are struggling, they need vets who have been through the fire, to show them how to deal with it an improve.

Right now, the OL has some potential among the assembled group, but is not playing with much precision and chemistry. The recent move to Garnett from Tiller has not helped. Beadles is new. So is Brown. Kilgore is still learning how to deal with all these changes. To get rid of Staley now would be utter foolishness.

There. Did I make myself clear?
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Hell no!

He's on the wrong side of 30 so he might only garnish a 4th round pick. Not worth it for what's left of the heart of this team. He's also mentioned his desire to make the 10 year wall here...why trade him when he values being on one team his entire career.

If he's okay with being traded, I'm on board with trading him for a 3rd or 4th round pick. More important than the draft pick we receive back in the trade is a boost to our chances of landing the #1 or #2 overall pick in 2017. Staley is 32. He won't be a big contributor 3-4 years from now when we're a playoff team again. If trading Staley boosts us from #5 to #1 or #2 in the draft, it's worth it even if we get nothing back.

We already know we have no talent on offense outside of Hyde and maybe Torrey Smith (as a #2 WR, not a #1 WR). There's nothing left to evaluate. The only reason to keep him would be as a locker room presence if we think he'll help the younger players mature and develop. That may be enough reason to keep him, but I really hope it doesn't cost us in the draft.

Originally posted by frozen49er:

It already is the off-season...
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
Originally posted by frozen49er:

It already is the off-season...

NO
If he was traded...who's gonna play LT? The OL is the strongest group on the team...I don't see anything gained by trading it's most consistent player.
He deserves to be on a winning franchise.
Share 49ersWebzone