LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

What will end up being our biggest need at the end of this season??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will end up being our biggest need at the end of this season??

Originally posted by thl408:
Rushing defense. Just a gut feeling that AA and DeFo could struggle to hold the point against the rush. They've been used to manhandling their opposition using sheer power in college. That won't be enough in the NFL so it'll take time refining their technique. Whichever ILB playing next to Bow will struggle playing the run. If it's Wilhoite, it's because he isn't very good at it. If it's Hodges, it's because he is still learning 3-4 ILB. Add in Ian's leg surgery which will take time to recover from, then the time to build strength back up in that leg. JoN's defense has never done well against the run, even when his pass defense was doing well (2014).

We'll see how this plays out. With Cohn the younger spilling the beans that AA has lined up at OLB in base downs, I think we'd look plenty stout on obvious rushing downs with a front 5 of Brooks/DeFo/Purcell/Dial/AA
What does it matter? Whatever it is you can bet rent money that Baalke won't fill it, at least nowhere near the first round.
^^(to 1st post on the page, not the above) Just thinking: This could align with Chip and JoN seeking to get the best 11 on the field. With Dial playing well, OLB being a concern after the draft, and the additional strain of Lynch's suspension, they might see using AA occasionally at OLB as a way of increasing the overall talent of the unit on the field.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Jul 29, 2016 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
^^(to 1st post on the page, not the above) Just thinking: This could align with Chip and JoN seeking to get the best 11 on the field. With Dial playing well, OLB being a concern after the draft, and the additional strain of Lynch's suspension, they might see using AA occasionally at OLB as a way of increasing the overall talent of the unit on the field.

With all if that height and beef on the field, maybe the opposing QB won't even be able to see his WR's even if they are open somewhere.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
a competent front office
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

With all if that height and beef on the field, maybe the opposing QB won't even be able to see his WR's even if they are open somewhere.

Yeah, Dial's pretty tall, too...

6'4" or 6'5", iirc.
New professional whiners.
Originally posted by susweel:
a competent front office

Wow rush Defense?? I think thats going to be a strength of our team
I think we'll come up short in the WR category

Shade.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Shade.

Wimp.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think we'll come up short in the WR category

Run defense, maybe, if Williams/Dorsey can stay healthy. But the pass rushing defense will still be a major weakness.
The question of the thread at first glance seemed a bit silly. After a bit of thot, I like it...a lot. What is being asked is how do you rate what we do this yr, find our holes and then fix those next....without the advantage of knowing what we do this yr. Excellent question.

My guess is we find out that we have what many of us have thot all along. Decent talent, but all in need of experience, and GREAT COACHING. So we fixed the second part, coaching, altho that is not official yet. It will soon be.

By yrs end we will have been found to have :

3 excellent top flite TEs

A very good QB, with a pleasant surprise in Driskell. Question here is are either one THE QB Chip just "has to have"....and I think he rolls the dice with our starter, and Driskell as the guy to inherit the job down the line

3, maybe 4 top of the line RBs.

WRs....Torrey reverts to form, our CFL standout does just that, and we have a gaggle of guys who all can start so we are set at WR.

OL...proves to be as good as the most ardent fan could hope for...they are the strength of the team.

DL....DeFO and AA are standouts, primed for all pro. Williams plays well but has nagging injuries, Purcell plays well.. But we could really use a high value overpowering NT.

LBs....Bowman plays well, Hodges has a very good yr,, but it is obvious we need an all pro OLB and same at ILB.

DBs...with 9 guys to pick from, 4 step forward and play well. A CB who can stand alone on his island would be great pickup in FA, unless Ward turns out to be that guy.

In summary, our biggest needs are all pro NT, ILB, OLB, and we can afford all in FA. IF the best player in the draft is a QB, then we can add that also. But I think chip is very pleased with his starter and Driskell.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The question of the thread at first glance seemed a bit silly. After a bit of thot, I like it...a lot. What is being asked is how do you rate what we do this yr, find our holes and then fix those next....without the advantage of knowing what we do this yr. Excellent question.

My guess is we find out that we have what many of us have thot all along. Decent talent, but all in need of experience, and GREAT COACHING. So we fixed the second part, coaching, altho that is not official yet. It will soon be.

By yrs end we will have been found to have :

3 excellent top flite TEs

A very good QB, with a pleasant surprise in Driskell. Question here is are either one THE QB Chip just "has to have"....and I think he rolls the dice with our starter, and Driskell as the guy to inherit the job down the line

3, maybe 4 top of the line RBs.

WRs....Torrey reverts to form, our CFL standout does just that, and we have a gaggle of guys who all can start so we are set at WR.

OL...proves to be as good as the most ardent fan could hope for...they are the strength of the team.

DL....DeFO and AA are standouts, primed for all pro. Williams plays well but has nagging injuries, Purcell plays well.. But we could really use a high value overpowering NT.

LBs....Bowman plays well, Hodges has a very good yr,, but it is obvious we need an all pro OLB and same at ILB.

DBs...with 9 guys to pick from, 4 step forward and play well. A CB who can stand alone on his island would be great pickup in FA, unless Ward turns out to be that guy.

In summary, our biggest needs are all pro NT, ILB, OLB, and we can afford all in FA. IF the best player in the draft is a QB, then we can add that also. But I think chip is very pleased with his starter and Driskell.

Sounds awesome, but a little too optimistic I fear. Of we get half of what you are predicting we will be light-years ahead of where we are now when 2017 starts.
Share 49ersWebzone