Ronald Blair-DE-Appalachian State-142nd Overall Pick

Originally posted by WildBill:
I think what the niners are going to do is not what we think. Even though we run a base 3-4. It is not going to be the same because, the league on average passes 60% of the time according to one article (that of course is an average). So guys like Wilhoite will be out and Tart will be in and guys like Tank and Blair will be in as DE while AA and Buckner will kick inside. Only Lynch and Bow will stay in at LB. Blair will replace Tank if we can't resign him after a breakout year.

I think Lynch will stay on the field but not as a LB, he can impact more as DE(in the nickel). Tartt would be the LB next to Bowman and Ward or Redmond would be the NB.

Lynch - Armstead - Buckner - Tank/Blair

Bowman - Tartt

CB - Reid - Ward/Redmond - SS - CB
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
His selection seems a lot like the Tank experiment a few years back. Great pick but round peg in a square whole. Is there a reason why he will succeed in a 3-4 scheme where Tank couldn't at DE?

He is 284 lbs and built to play the DE spot in a 3-4. Tank was about 265 in college and they were hoping he would add about 20 lbs and turn into the new Ray Mac. Didn't happen so he dropped weight and is moving to OLB like he should've been from the get go. I doubt he ever drops in coverage so he is essentially going to be a DE in a 4-man front. Blair will kick inside in that front, most likely
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,218
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
I think Lynch will stay on the field but not as a LB, he can impact more as DE(in the nickel). Tartt would be the LB next to Bowman and Ward or Redmond would be the NB.

Lynch - Armstead - Buckner - Tank/Blair

Bowman - Tartt

CB - Reid - Ward/Redmond - SS - CB

Love it sounds like the 1994 defense
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
I feel like the plan is to use less base and more sub packages and four man fronts. Hence all CBs, the drafting of Blair, and the decision to forego taking an ILB.

The nickel defensive package I think would be terrifying for offenses. That is a ton of speed and power across the boar with a towering wall of height from right to left. Lynch 6-5, Armstead and Buckner both 6-7.

Lynch - Armstead - Buckner - Carradine/Blair
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,038
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
I feel like the plan is to use less base and more sub packages and four man fronts. Hence all CBs, the drafting of Blair, and the decision to forego taking an ILB.

The nickel defensive package I think would be terrifying for offenses. That is a ton of speed and power across the boar with a towering wall of height from right to left. Lynch 6-5, Armstead and Buckner both 6-7.

Lynch - Armstead - Buckner - Carradine/Blair

In the sub packages I can also see them going Buckner on the outside at times. Somethinglike :

Lynch, Amstead, Dial, Buckner

6-5,6-7,6-5,6-7
Love this pick. Kid is a player and high character. Kind of reminds me of a more versatile Ray McDonald but obviously much better character.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
His selection seems a lot like the Tank experiment a few years back. Great pick but round peg in a square whole. Is there a reason why he will succeed in a 3-4 scheme where Tank couldn't at DE?

He played in a 3-4 in college and is coming in at 285. He is already the size for a 3-4 DE.

I'd like to hear others take but he seems a much better fit all up and down the DL in nickel and dime sets. In fact, didn't Baalke say the very same thing yesterday?

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article74978317.html

I think they'll start him out in the DL rotation first. Don't think they'll have him play OLB. We'll probably let the transitional Carradine, UDFAs and other incumbents compete there.

Thanks. That was my take as well.

Thanks everyone for the info. I looked up Tank's combine as well. He was 6'4'' 276 at the combine. Blair being 2 inches shorter and 8 lbs heavier and from a 3-4 is very different than Tank. Should be a nice rotational player.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,038
Maybe put on 20 to 25 pounds and be a NT?
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
I feel like the plan is to use less base and more sub packages and four man fronts. Hence all CBs, the drafting of Blair, and the decision to forego taking an ILB.

The nickel defensive package I think would be terrifying for offenses. That is a ton of speed and power across the boar with a towering wall of height from right to left. Lynch 6-5, Armstead and Buckner both 6-7.

Lynch - Armstead - Buckner - Carradine/Blair

In the sub packages I can also see them going Buckner on the outside at times. Somethinglike :

Lynch, Amstead, Dial, Buckner

6-5,6-7,6-5,6-7

I could see that being done as well. The thing about all this is that all four of those guys would potentially command double teams. It'd be pretty dang difficult to block. We wouldn't have to blitz as much if the front four consistently applied pressure.
Originally posted by pd24:
Maybe put on 20 to 25 pounds and be a NT?

Yeah no

He's going to play DE. He might put on around 10lbs of muscle over a year or two...that's about it.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
A third down pass rush specialist?

No, he is very strong against the run. Just an all-around 3-4 DE prospect that should be able to rotate in and out, get a lot of snaps.

What player is he reminiscent to in NFL past/present?
Some spreadsheet scouting on him.
Keep in mind that he pulled his quad running the 5.15 40yard during the combine. NFL.com did not update his combine numbers with his impressive pro day measurables. Has tweener size, but DE athleticism. His pSPARQ is 6th best among interior DLmen (88th precentile).

Height: 6021
Weight: 284
Arms: 34"
Hands: 10 1/4"
Bench: 32 (79th percentile as DT/93th as DE, excellent for 34" arm length)
40 yard: 4.85 (95th percentile as DT, 45th as DE)
10 yard: 1.63 (95th/55th)
Broad jump: 9'11" (100th precentile as DT, 74th precentile as DE)
Shuttle: 4.53 (73rd/25th) (combine)
3-cone: 7.95 (15th as DT) (combine, did not run it on pro day)
VJ: 33.5" (90th/54th)

So his straight-line athleticism and explosivity is very good, shuttle is OK, while no reliable 3-cone data, his change of direction agility is suspect. Looks like a long-armed prototypical 5-tech, Played a lot in 3-man fronts. He will replace TJE on the roster, and I suspect he will rotational snaps at the start of the season. Ceiling is JSmith-lite production.

Off-the-field notes: Arrested for DUI as underage driver/driving without licence Sept 2013 (0.04 BAC, FWIW). Another underage consumption citation in 2012. Thumb surgery January 2014.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1840610/ronald-blair
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by pd24:
Maybe put on 20 to 25 pounds and be a NT?

Yeah no

He's going to play DE. He might put on around 10lbs of muscle over a year or two...that's about it.

As long as he takes TJE's spot I'm thrilled.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
A third down pass rush specialist?

No, he is very strong against the run. Just an all-around 3-4 DE prospect that should be able to rotate in and out, get a lot of snaps.

What player is he reminiscent to in NFL past/present?

To me, he's like a mix between Corey Liuget and Robert Ayers. Heavier than Ayers, lighter than Liuget, but possesses a lot of the same attributes in terms of a good, balanced game being able to both rush the passer and stop the run.
Share 49erswebzone