LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Ronald Blair-DE-Appalachian State-signs with Jets

Shop 49ers game tickets
he's gonna be a 3-4 DE, whether he wants to or not. so he better put that weight back on.
Both Mayock and Jerimiah gushed about Blair...one of the things that struck me was he seems like the kind of defensive player Seattle would draft. But, he's a Niner and the addition of him and Buckner really strengthens our DL. So will the return of Williams and Dorsey...things are definitely looking up for that group, and I couldn't be happier. The better and deeper they are, the better our entire defense will play.
Originally posted by strickac:
I was watching a few videos of him last weekend and in one he said after the Combine he dropped like 10-15lbs and was closer to 270lbs. He said he wanted teams to see him as an OLB during workouts leading up to the draft. Because of his lack of height he was showing off his versatility. On a podcast, there was talk that some scouts even thought he could play ILB. That seems unlikely, especially with how Trent values speed at the position, But having him stand up and rush the passers is a real possibility.

Because we didn't draft an OLB I would've be surprised to see him get a look as an outside pass rusher. Trent/Chip seem to love tall, long DEs. Blair is build more like an OLB than a DE.

ILB is more of a read and react position rather than a speed first position. Of course, speed helps, especially when guys like Bowman also have the read and react intangible.
If he can drop to 255, which is unlikely, but Levon Kirkland played ILB at 275 pounds. Dude was a force.

Man, can the Steelers produce/develop/use LB's. Gregg Lloyd weighed in at 225 and was a solid OLB.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
he's gonna be a 3-4 DE, whether he wants to or not. so he better put that weight back on.

He'll be what the coaching staff wants him to be...should be interesting either way.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I like his burst off the line of scrimmage ...he's a tough dude , TJE has a fight on his hands

TJE will lose
He's a nickel pass rusher hat will get a look at OLB and DE. We can speculate all day, but that's were we're at.

He was draft because he's an excellent player and productive. That's it
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Honestly, I see him as a potential Pernell McPhee. A bit heavy for an OLB right now, but he can slim down and be a husky DE or slim DT on passing downs in his rookie year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LeoWong:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Strong hands.

Highlights from a 38-0 blowout vs backups.

First half of those highlights it was like 17 nothing so I wouldn't say it was just backups he was going against .
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Strong hands.

First half of those highlights it was like 17 nothing so I wouldn't say it was just backups he was going against .

Then at 31-0 the Clemson backups were wearing the same numbers as the starters.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Strong hands.

Then at 31-0 the Clemson backups were wearing the same numbers as the starters.

Lol

Seriously stop they hate on this guy. He's pretty dominant
Originally posted by elguapo:
Seriously stop they hate on this guy. He's pretty dominant

people always gonna hate you know this!
Originally posted by strickac:
I was watching a few videos of him last weekend and in one he said after the Combine he dropped like 10-15lbs and was closer to 270lbs. He said he wanted teams to see him as an OLB during workouts leading up to the draft. Because of his lack of height he was showing off his versatility. On a podcast, there was talk that some scouts even thought he could play ILB. That seems unlikely, especially with how Trent values speed at the position, But having him stand up and rush the passers is a real possibility.

Because we didn't draft an OLB I would've be surprised to see him get a look as an outside pass rusher. Trent/Chip seem to love tall, long DEs. Blair is build more like an OLB than a DE.

Interesting take - you may be right.
Trent Baalke on @KNBR re: 5th-Rd pick DL Ronald Blair: "He was one of my personal favorite players as went through the process."

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/728248056638930944
ILB is more of a read and react position rather than a speed first position. Of course, speed helps, especially when guys like Bowman also have the read and react intangible.
If he can drop to 255, which is unlikely, but Levon Kirkland played ILB at 275 pounds. Dude was a force.

Man, can the Steelers produce/develop/use LB's. Gregg Lloyd weighed in at 225 and was a solid OLB.
Please, no more experiments. Blair seems to be a good d-liner, let's keep him there. If needed, we could turn him into a Brooks-OLB or whatever.
Share 49ersWebzone