There are 156 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So he just forgot how to do that once he left Stanford?? It has nothing to do with injuries gotcha

Its because hes playing against men, not little boys that the pac 12 has to offer. Hell, even in standord, his pass protection wasnt that great.
great point, sometimes the injury excuses are just a little to much of a nice built in excuse for just plain poor play
im still curious why he was drafted. He is talentless.

Seriously? The center is perhaps the most important position on the O line and you want Garnett to give it a try out there? He cannot even cut it as a G. I don't want him on the team at all. He is a massive liability. The sooner Lynch cut ties with him and Tomlinson, the better the interior of the o line will play.

Some people wanted Trent Brown gone but some of these people want to keep Garnett and give him more opportunities?

Man you hate Garnett eh? Talent isn't the issue...health has been the real issue

I wondered about the switch to center too. It's not uncommon in the NFL for guards to play center as backups. He may be more effective there since it wouldn't require as much lateral movement. I'm sure he's bright enough to play the position. Randy Cross and Jesse Sapolu each played both positions.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I wondered about the switch to center too. It's not uncommon in the NFL for guards to play center as backups. He may be more effective there since it wouldn't require as much lateral movement. I'm sure he's bright enough to play the position. Randy Cross and Jesse Sapolu each played both positions.

Eric Heitman played both positions well too.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Its because hes playing against men, not little boys that the pac 12 has to offer. Hell, even in standord, his pass protection wasnt that great.

lesson learned. We should never take a linemen from the pac-12 again. It hasn't worked out for us at all. In fact, its been extremely awful.

For every Armstead, Garnett and Thomas, there is a Buckner.
So he just forgot how to do that once he left Stanford?? It has nothing to do with injuries gotcha

tell that to 3 time pro bowl G Kyle Long
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

And how many probowls has he played as a 49er?
Originally posted by cciowa:

great point, sometimes the injury excuses are just a little to much of a nice built in excuse for just plain poor play

I'd agree. At this point, I see a backup guard at best. Can't count on someone that has been injured or played meh for the better part of 3 seasons. If you haven't shown it in 3 years.....it likely won't ever show.

With that said, the only reason why I'm not in favor of releasing him right now is because he still has a year left and we need 90 men on the roster. If he can't establish himself as the 3rd best guard (minimum) in TC or he is barely better than a rookie/2nd year player, then you let JG go.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'd agree. At this point, I see a backup guard at best. Can't count on someone that has been injured or played meh for the better part of 3 seasons. If you haven't shown it in 3 years.....it likely won't ever show.

With that said, the only reason why I'm not in favor of releasing him right now is because he still has a year left and we need 90 men on the roster. If he can't establish himself as the 3rd best guard (minimum) in TC or he is barely better than a rookie/2nd year player, then you let JG go.

Yup. Nothing wrong with letting him compete. Just don't go into the 90 counting on him.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

lesson learned. We should never take a linemen from the pac-12 again. It hasn't worked out for us at all. In fact, its been extremely awful.

For every Armstead, Garnett and Thomas, there is a Buckner.

Facts. Throw in DeCastro too. Good players are good players. Damn a conference.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Facts. Throw in DeCastro too. Good players are good players. Damn a conference.

Or damn a team that cant draft well.

And how many probowls has he played as a 49er?

you were saying Pac 12 doesn't produce good O-Line guys. Like we should avoid it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

In Kyle's system the center has to have good lateral movement, and be strong in doing it.

After Richburg's knee injury his ability to move hampered both the inside running game and pass protection.
you were saying Pac 12 doesn't produce good O-Line guys. Like we should avoid it.

About 90 percent of these college kids will not sniff the pros. Hence, playing against boys. And the pac 12 is considered by most, an inferior conference compared to the other major ones.

I know Buckner,Kenny Clark, Danny Shelton, Myles Jack, Shaq Thompson, Eric Kendricks ,McKinley etc weren't men

Being good in college does not always translate to being good in the NFL. Some guys get by on their physical abilities but in the NFL you have to be able to play the game and get better. Guys like Armstead and Garnett are examples of physically dominant players in college who can't really play the game well.
Share 49erswebzone