LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Words of advice. DO NOT RELY ON THIS GUY.

THIS X 1000

Learn from previous behaviors. Don't project unreliable players as key starters on offense (again). Tomlinson is not going to be ready by training camp if he has a torn ACL. Garnett isn't a starter. We need to invest in protecting our FQB.

even though you can not reply back as the powers to be decided you needed a time out ... it stuns me with this regime that they keep trash. obtain trash and then HOPE said trash will be better than it was. oh but we have 3 first round draft picks at guard.. it will be fine
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As much as I never was a fan of Garnett coming out of the draft, I admit he's played well in limited action. Also, unless we sign an elite guard in free agency, Garnett is definitely more valuable than probably anything less than a second round pick.

Simply put, he is younger and more powerful than Person. He had some injuries this year and last year. He has to stay healthy to help us.

We need to make sure we protect Jimmy.
I don't mind keeping him to compete for a starting spot again or for depth at the very least. He knows the system and still young on a cheaper contract. Now if we splurge on FA, sure he's depth until his contract is finished. How much is his option if we decide to pick it up?
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Dec 31, 2018 at 12:47 PM ]
I'm not ready to call it quits on Garnett yet. Especially since when he played well while healthy. He gets inured seriously again and misses most this season I think we move on.
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
I'm not ready to call it quits on Garnett yet. Especially since when he played well while healthy. He gets inured seriously again and misses most this season I think we move on.

This.
I remember the first play of the Nolan era he called a timeout after the opening kickoff. I thought right then this is a work in progress. Nolan, Singletary, Tomsula and Shanahan, what do they all have in common? When was the last time this organization had an experienced GM? Next years season tickets will be in the mail for 2019 make sure you're not shut out.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

This.

Did you see how fat he got? People complained about Trenton Brown?
I don't know how many Zoners remember this but Jesse Sapolo, who became one of the best OLman in the history of the 49ers, was injured his first 2 years in the league and barely played. He was an 11th round pick (the equivalent of an UFA) and was labeled "injury prone", yet he worked hard and became a great player.
Not to say that will happen with Garnett but the guy does have talent. He was better when he played this year so let's give the guy one more off-season to build on his play this year. He can always be cut in training camp if he doesn't continue his growth. Does this team have another choice?
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
I don't know how many Zoners remember this but Jesse Sapolo, who became one of the best OLman in the history of the 49ers, was injured his first 2 years in the league and barely played. He was an 11th round pick (the equivalent of an UFA) and was labeled "injury prone", yet he worked hard and became a great player.
Not to say that will happen with Garnett but the guy does have talent. He was better when he played this year so let's give the guy one more off-season to build on his play this year. He can always be cut in training camp if he doesn't continue his growth. Does this team have another choice?

The only thing this guy is working hard at is the local buffet and milking that first round $.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

The only thing this guy is working hard at is the local buffet and milking that first round $.
but we just keep wanting to give often injured underachieving players chance after chance, stunning
Originally posted by cciowa:

but we just keep wanting to give often injured underachieving players chance after chance, stunning

He gets a chance because there are bigger priorities than replacing a backup OL and he is cheap.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

He gets a chance because there are bigger priorities than replacing a backup OL and he is cheap.

Yea, it has nothing to do with his Stanford ties to the GM.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

then you get cheap play and with our o line not good in pass protection do you really want cheap play? the guards were a concern after last year and still continue to be

This.

How fat he got when?
He might be a better fit with another team that has a different style of blocking. It would be nice if we could trade him for a guard that is better suited to Kyles offense or even a draft pick.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

This.

How fat he got when?

When he came in last game. All that talk of how hard he worked to trim down for this offense, he gained right back.
Share 49ersWebzone