LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Unpopular and also not true.....if pass rushing talent didn't matter, than DL wouldn't keep getting drafted high every yr.

And Defo was voted second-team All Pro, so that's a nonsensical point to make, Mr. bigwad.
Defo is a pro bowler and an All Pro because the guy constantly takes pressure away from guys like Bosa and Ford because he is that good that he usually has 2 or 3 guys on him.He has also averaged 10 sacks the last 2 years. That in itself warrants keeping him and paying him accordingly.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Unpopular but true: we should move on slowly from Buckner and Armstead.

Great players but neither are probowlers or all pros but want to be paid like it.

It doesn't appear that either want to stay more than get paid, and our defense would better moving to more of a PFF suggested model of playing great coverage and manufacturing pressure.

Then we overload on offense. That is how the league is moving teams, so don't fight it.

49ers got to the Super Bowl because of great defense. They lost because KC played great defense in the 4th quarter. Defense wins championships.
Originally posted by philgardis49:
Defo is a pro bowler and an All Pro because the guy constantly takes pressure away from guys like Bosa and Ford because he is that good that he usually has 2 or 3 guys on him.He has also averaged 10 sacks the last 2 years. That in itself warrants keeping him and paying him accordingly.

For sure. Buckner deserves every penny. Guy has never missed a game (fingers crossed) played out of his mind in the Super Bowl. He is a game wrecker like bosa.
Great comments. Curious how often some folks argue against something I am not arguing. Obviously a great DL helps. We are argue about who contributed most to that. IMO that order would be Bosa, Buckner, Armstead, Ford (his availability is a serious issue). No question when the four are in our DL is the best in football...our #1 position group on the team. Ford's deal is made for us to exit after next season, his deal had minimal cap impact after 2020 season so he can be cut w/o a lot of damage. I really like Ford as a player, but he needs to play. We are spending way too much money for a player who plays 1/4 of the season.

Eventually, everyone has to come to the triage realization. That is the main issue here that I am referring to. I think we can keep the current team together without long contracts for a bit, but eventually, we need to turn over players with young talent at positions where players would rather get top dollar than try to stay here. That is just the truth of the matter. Some of you talked about how close we were and should keep it rolling for a bit-I totally agree, which is why I said slow play this.

I would put Armstead and Defo on the trading block and see what they trade value is. I think both have been offered very lucrative contracts by the FO, but have not accepted. One of my primary points is that we cannot jeopardize the integrity of the team for these two players. I think there are other players on the team that are staples for the organization going forward, but paying two interior DL (I know Armstead players DE sometimes, but I think we can find better and less expensive options if that is what we are doing with him).

*Did anyone notice that KC was chipping Ford like every damn play? We should have been blitzing a lot more.

*Side note-S. Thomas is killing our cap.

Our fanbase is going to have to realize that we can't keep everyone. We have to pick those that must have and then be judicious about the rest. If a player gets over their skiis they have to be moved and recoup draft capital to reload.

We must sign Kittle long term. That is #1. If Armstead and/or Buckner don't want to sign somewhat friendly team deals I would just look at franchising and trading Armstead and I have no problem just letting him play out next year on the tag. Then let him walk for a 3rd round comp after at least. Maybe he comes down to earth on his contract. Then tag Buckner if necessary.

We need to look at signing Warner and Greenlaw too. K. Alexander reduced his cap figure by ~$10 mill this year, and if he wants to stay that's what team players do. Armstead and Defo need to figure out if they want to get paid or play on a contender.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The Duck Weak Ducks (aka Bucko and Aweak) should be dealt if they don't wanna sign a cap friendly deal..

Bucko who's supposed to be a SUPERSTAR didn't even do crap this year... and to think that all his fans here said that an EZ 12 year sack season was coming because of BOSA.. instead, he SUCKED !!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
The Duck Weak Ducks (aka Bucko and Aweak) should be dealt if they don't wanna sign a cap friendly deal..

Bucko who's supposed to be a SUPERSTAR didn't even do crap this year... and to think that all his fans here said that an EZ 12 year sack season was coming because of BOSA.. instead, he SUCKED !!!

Sometimes I wonder what planet you are posting from.
Defo didnt have to do as much this year, and the main reason he isnt getting the numbers is because he's taking on 2 or 3 guys so Bosa and Ford can get to the QB.

I think we both watched two different versions of the 2019-20 season, Buck was dominate all year long, especially in the Super Bowl. AA had 10 sacks, led the team. No one is saying they don't wanna sign team friendly deals, not sure why people are saying that, it can contain $60M+ in GTD money and be team friendly, it won't all be fully GTD, but Buck and AA should be retained long term. Same for Kittle, who will get $40M+ GTD.

He was double teamed like the Superstar that he is.
Offensive Coordinators treated him like a Superstar and they are smarter than fans.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The shame of Buckner signing a $70M+ guaranteed deal is that it will ultimately shorten his stay with the Niners.

He will need to up his game even more. And the second he has a down year...for whatever reason...he's toast.

Happens every year.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
The shame of Buckner signing a $70M+ guaranteed deal is that it will ultimately shorten his stay with the Niners.

He will need to up his game even more. And the second he has a down year...for whatever reason...he's toast.

Happens every year.

Imo he's a guy we will constantly restructure and push cash down the road. He's consistent and never gets hurt.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 13, 2020 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:

Very interesting. Was it originally done as a DE?
Share 49ersWebzone