DeForest Buckner DE - 7th overall pick

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Can't believe we haven't paid him yet. They're gonna wait till he's top 10 in the top 100 list. And an all pro so we could make him the highest paid defensive player ever.

Why would he take a deal now? Better for him to wait. Takes two to tango.

Were there any reports that we tried to negotiate?

Buckner said just two days ago that they'd do it either mid season or after the season.

Really no incentive for Buckner to take a deal now.

Sounds like he had a sack and TFL
Can't believe we haven't paid him yet. They're gonna wait till he's top 10 in the top 100 list. And an all pro so we could make him the highest paid defensive player ever.

I'm guessing from the FO's perspective, 12 sacks and 4 wins doesn't compute well with their models. From a simplistic view, it means he overachieved and got "low-impact" sacks or the team was so bad his sacks meant nothing. Assuming this season goes better, maybe they think they'll have more stable numbers to assess Buckner's price. Either way, I think it's worth watching his performance this season. If he can (continue to) prove it with Kocurek and non-tanking games, then a big contract is a win-win for him and the org.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Sounds like he had a sack and TFL

Badass
We have seen time after time, the longer you wait, the more you get paid. Buckner will get a bigger deal after the season than he will now.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
We have seen time after time, the longer you wait, the more you get paid. Buckner will get a bigger deal after the season than he will now.

Each Bosa and Ford sack is gonna take away dollars from him

I think DeFo has a new deal by the end of the season, his agents may be waiting on Chris Jones, to see what he gets. DeFo should get $20M a year, it'd put him as the 2nd highest paid Interior DL, which I believe he is the 2nd best.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Each Bosa and Ford sack is gonna take away dollars from him

Never know, DeFo could have double digit sacks, same for Dee and Nick, having 3 legit guys who can get to the QB means offensive lines can't double team all 3. DeFo will still get the $20M a yr IMO
You guys see this, ESPN put out another top 100 list and DeFo was no where to be found. What does a guy have to do to get respect. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26881107/2019-nflrank-predicting-nfl-best-100-players-season
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
OUR SUPERSTAR MUST PLAY ALL 4 QUARTERS...

but who cares, I really don't even believe in that 100 best players.. ALL MARKETING IMO !!

Originally posted by 9moon:
OUR SUPERSTAR MUST PLAY ALL 4 QUARTERS...

but who cares, I really don't even believe in that 100 best players.. ALL MARKETING IMO !!

Umm, DeFo plays all 4 Quarters, and he is a Superstar.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I realize this is literally the worst place on earth to post anything negative about DeForest Buckner, but... yuck. Before I get called a "hater"... I like Buckner overall and I hope we extend him to a fair deal.

That said. There is a reason why actual NFL players don't think he is a top 100 player. It's games like yesterday. This dude gets called "great" and "elite" wayyyyyy too much for it to be in touch with reality. Yes, he flashes elite skills...occasionally. He does nothing "elite" consistently. Taking on double teams is not enough to warrant a $18M+/year contract. Words like "great" and "elite" have to mean something. Truly elite players don't go missing as consistently as DeForest Buckner.

This isn't just about one game yesterday. His inability (unwillingness?) to bring consistent great performances to the table has happened his entire career.

Our "star" defensive player's thread fell to the 3rd page the day after the team's standout defensive performance.

He is good, sometimes very good. Not great. Not elite. Good.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Is he? Really? Have we lost all meaning of the word "superstar"?

Nobody outside SF even knows he is alive.
  • Jiks
  • Veteran

Ok, who do you replace him with?
Originally posted by Jiks:

Ok, who do you replace him with?

Ahhh this old question again. Haha
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 9, 2019 at 8:34 AM ]
Share 49erswebzone