LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 175 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by English:
Signing a new contract is a 2 way thing. What if Buckner or his agent don't want to sign this early?

Yeah I think SF would love to pay him right now...I think Buck is waiting to see what Jones gets

Love? I doubt it. They have complete control over him for several years at predictable rates. That's particularly true for the next two years. It's an enviable position.

I'm sure they'd like to get something done. But I would imagine they'd push for something that doesn't kick in until after his 5th year option year has concluded. He's cheap labor relative to the production. No way they'd pass that up just because it's good PR for fans. They don't need the PR.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jul 22, 2019 at 11:26 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Signing a new contract is a 2 way thing. What if Buckner or his agent don't want to sign this early?

The only motive for Buckner to sign "early" is if the Niners are basically overwriting his 4th and 5th years with a new contact. I don't know why they would do that when they are entirely locked in and can still control him after the 5th year. But, assuming the Niners are not punting on the current structure of Buckner's 4th and 5th years.... yeah Buckner should wait and take advantage of the 2020 or 2021 price inflation.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by philgardis49:
I seriously think the team needs to sign DeFo to a deal thats worth $19-$19.5mil/season for either 4 or 5 years now before the season starts. Because if he balls out and gets another 15 or 16 sacks or more this season you know that number is only going to climb that much higher.

With Bosa and Ford in the wings this year and an improved Thomas and Armstead, it's unlikely he'll replicate last season statistically.

Disagree.

IMO, he'll see way more single coverage and less double teams w/those studs on the edges.
Look what Chris Jones did with Dee Ford and Justin Houston in Kansas City. If he can get that many sacks with those guys, Im pretty sure we could squeeze out another 12 sacks for DeFo with him now getting some help from Bosa and Ford. At least 1 of these guys should have a wide open lane to the QB at some point during all plays because we have 3 of them now. So if 2 of them get doubled the possibility of 2 of our defensive players either sacking the QB or causing a turnover. This is why I say pay him now, because who knows what happens if he does get 15 sacks like Chris Jones then what? The price tag my friend probably hit at least $21 or maybe $22 million/season depending on how free agency goes for others on the market. But if anything either way I cant wait for the season to start to see the guys get out there and play.

This

Yeah I think SF would love to pay him right now...I think Buck is waiting to see what Jones gets

Agree

That'd be the smart thing to do.

Once Jones is inked - Defo will not be far behind.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Love? I doubt it. They have complete control over him for several years at predictable rates. That's particularly true for the next two years. It's an enviable position.

I'm sure they'd like to get something done. But I would imagine they'd push for something that doesn't kick in until after his 5th year option year has concluded. He's cheap labor relative to the production. No way they'd pass that up just because it's good PR for fans. They don't need the PR.

So give him guaranteed cash (top 5) yr to yr for two more seasons OR sign him to a 4/5 yr extension with that same guaranteed cash NOW

Also after you've used up the 5th yr option and tag (and given him all that guaranteed cash with no real LT commitment from him) He's gonna get EVEN MORE guaranteed cash at a HIGHER rate then you could have had him on previously (because we all know how contracts keep going up.)

IMO 5th yr options and tags should be used if you're not sure about a player, I think most agree we KNOW what Buck is and he will get better (only 25) sign him sooner than later and SF will end up with a value LT.

I get why Buck probably doesn't want to sign now, IMO SF would more than likely like to get a deal done sooner than later.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM ]
On a completely separate note, I want him to work on his bull rush this year. He swims and rips well, that's how he gets the majority of his sacks. I think adding straight power to his game is the next step.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I seriously think the team needs to sign DeFo to a deal thats worth $19-$19.5mil/season for either 4 or 5 years now before the season starts. Because if he balls out and gets another 15 or 16 sacks or more this season you know that number is only going to climb that much higher.

With Bosa and Ford in the wings this year and an improved Thomas and Armstead, it's unlikely he'll replicate last season statistically.

I think it was Gil Brandt who said a successful defense should have a total of 40 something sacks. That's like 3-4 players in double digits. We now have the horses to do it.
So give him guaranteed cash (top 5) yr to yr for two more seasons OR sign him to a 4/5 yr extension with that same guaranteed cash NOW

Also after you've used up the 5th yr option and tag (and given him all that guaranteed cash with no real LT commitment from him) He's gonna get EVEN MORE guaranteed cash at a HIGHER rate then you could have had him on previously (because we all know how contracts keep going up.)

IMO 5th yr options and tags should be used if you're not sure about a player, I think most agree we KNOW what Buck is and he will get better (only 25) sign him sooner than later and SF will end up with a value LT.

I get why Buck probably doesn't want to sign now, IMO SF would more than likely like to get a deal done sooner than later.

Couldn't agree more

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Him costing more in the future is a non issue. Give us that problem. He needs to prove it.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Him costing more in the future is a non issue. Give us that problem. He needs to prove it.

What you don't think teams look at the cost of a player now vs 2/3 yrs from now? Philly is one of the best run organizations and do that all the time. They're always signing dudes early.

For sure it's an issue, especially when your team is full of young players.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 23, 2019 at 4:30 AM ]
Schrager predicting 20 sacks for Defo...

I predict half that — maybe even one or two under.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Schrager predicting 20 sacks for Defo...

I predict half that — maybe even one or two under.

I'm going with 10
If this dude gets left out of the top 100 I swear...
Share 49ersWebzone