Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by English:
Back on subject please.

I only answered the question English..

going back to the subject, NO ONE'S arguing how good of a STAR he is... but no, he is NOT a superstar..

last year was his "coming out" party, and this year, he needs to prove it if he's a SUPERSTAR.. ..

These are the kind of conversations that keep me off of the webzone until training camp. This is splitting hairs man. Star, superstar who gives a damn. Buckner gets the job done, he's a legit double digit sack guy from the interior. He does need to become more consistent, but his top end play stacks up against everyone, except DOnald.

.... totally agree, and this is why we have a STAR on Bucko !!!

GO NINERS !!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by English:
Back on subject please.

I only answered the question English..

going back to the subject, NO ONE'S arguing how good of a STAR he is... but no, he is NOT a superstar..

last year was his "coming out" party, and this year, he needs to prove it if he's a SUPERSTAR.. ..

I ran the numbers and he does qualify as a Superstar with 3 points to spare.
With 2 ER threats to deal with, IMO, Buck is going to light it up BIG time.

They'll still double team him but nowhere nearly as much as in the past.

Man. I hope they can get his deal signed, sealed and delivered by the start of the season.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jun 23, 2019 at 11:57 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
With 2 ER threats to deal with, IMO, Buck is going to light it up BIG time.

They'll still double team him but nowhere nearly as much as in the past.

Man. I hope they can get his deal signed, sealed and delivered by the start of the season.

YES.. AGREE !!

... and when he lights it up this year, then he can be call a SUPERSTAR.. ..

.. no other excuses for him this year, right??

well, unless both FORD and BOSA are bust.
This dude is a beast... now that we have Bosa and Ford? if Armstead or Solomon step up in development, holy s**t... Buckner one on one with guards? Good luck
Superstar⁉️⁉️⁉️ GTFOH‼️‼️‼️ WTF IS a "superstar"⁉️⁉️⁉️ Stop this crap trying to put any player in some superlative hole to try and make him better or just as good as someone else. The players success on the field speaks for itself. And, sometimes, the success of his team will be a further indication of his play. Now, for you fans who want to know what he is or where he fits, look at DeFo's get off and what he does when he's double teamed
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Superstar⁉️⁉️⁉️ GTFOH‼️‼️‼️ WTF IS a "superstar"⁉️⁉️⁉️ Stop this crap trying to put any player in some superlative hole to try and make him better or just as good as someone else. The players success on the field speaks for itself. And, sometimes, the success of his team will be a further indication of his play. Now, for you fans who want to know what he is or where he fits, look at DeFo's get off and what he does when he's double teamed

I agree completely. Buckner had a really good season but one good year doesn't make a superstar. Unfortunately, we live in an era where everything is awesome, stupendous, unbelievable, the greatest, etc. To be called a superstar a player needs to have several seasons where he is a standout that makes the pro bowl each year. He needs to be THE MAN. He has the potential to become one but he isn't there yet.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I agree completely. Buckner had a really good season but one good year doesn't make a superstar. Unfortunately, we live in an era where everything is awesome, stupendous, unbelievable, the greatest, etc. To be called a superstar a player needs to have several seasons where he is a standout that makes the pro bowl each year. He needs to be THE MAN. He has the potential to become one but he isn't there yet.

How many is 'several' to you? Is three enough to be called a superstar? Or do you mean like 5+ seasons?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

How many is 'several' to you? Is three enough to be called a superstar? Or do you mean like 5+ seasons?

JUST my personal opinion..

He's just now knockin on the door... he's emerging.. but not there yet..
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I agree that fans use their favorite players for a dopamine rush. People toss around words like "superstar" and "elite" for dramatic effect -- it makes them feel good about their team. But it happens with so much frequency -- Buckner being a prime example -- that they have little meaning anymore.

It's okay for Buckner to just be very good and not anything more than that. That's okay and I'll take it. He doesn't impact the game like Miller, Mack, prime A. Smith, Watt, etc. That's fine.

If you can use "superstar" and "elite" on more than 4-5 guys at any position group it takes away from the true upper echelon guys.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Bottom line is... LOVE Bucko or not.. the guy falls under the word...

NEXT !!!
Originally posted by thl408:

It may take a little longer for linemen since they are part of a group and don't standout like some other positions. Three might be enough if he made all pro each year and racked up sacks and pressures. Now with Bosa along side it may be harder for him since some people will say Bosa made him look better similar to the way they say Cowboy made Aldon Smith look better. They should compliment each other and if neither one is ever considered 'elite' by people around the country then so what. As long as they are making plays together I don't really care. Some will call them elite but I don't like to use those terms unless a player is in the top 10% of his player group. The numbers and opposing players will decide.
Originally posted by sacniner:
This dude is a beast... now that we have Bosa and Ford? if Armstead or Solomon step up in development, holy s**t... Buckner one on one with guards? Good luck

Originally posted by okdkid:
I agree that fans use their favorite players for a dopamine rush. People toss around words like "superstar" and "elite" for dramatic effect -- it makes them feel good about their team. But it happens with so much frequency -- Buckner being a prime example -- that they have little meaning anymore.

It's okay for Buckner to just be very good and not anything more than that. That's okay and I'll take it. He doesn't impact the game like Miller, Mack, prime A. Smith, Watt, etc. That's fine.

If you can use "superstar" and "elite" on more than 4-5 guys at any position group it takes away from the true upper echelon guys.

what about the term "generational" is that higher up than superstar lol? Can we call Donald "generational"?

How about all-star can we go with that? Is that moon approved haha?

I'm pretty sure it's okay if a guy is top 5 at his position to say he's elite... especially when there's like 200 players at the same position

whatevs it's mid June nothing to talk about.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
what about the term "generational" is that higher up than superstar lol? Can we call Donald "generational"?

How about all-star can we go with that? Is that moon approved haha?

I'm pretty sure it's okay if a guy is top 5 at his position to say he's elite... especially when there's like 200 players at the same position

whatevs it's mid June nothing to talk about.

Well... when somebody is actually an all-star, by all means call them an all-star. Again, it's okay for Buckner to just be very good and leave it there.
Share 49ersWebzone