LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Not worried in the slightest unless we're still hearing this a year from now. Seeing how he does with Bosa and Ford is something both sides want/need to see before finalizing a deal IMO.

Why? He's already done very well playing next to bench warmers. I don't think he needs to prove anything.

Ford/Bosa might make him look even better and I think that's what him and his agent are hoping for.
Not worried in the slightest unless we're still hearing this a year from now. Seeing how he does with Bosa and Ford is something both sides want/need to see before finalizing a deal IMO.

Why? He's already done very well playing next to bench warmers. I don't think he needs to prove anything.

Ford/Bosa might make him look even better and I think that's what him and his agent are hoping for.

That makes sense. On his side of things.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 6, 2019 at 2:02 PM ]

Yeah I think him and his agent want to see that. i don't think lynch and co want to see that before they get a deal done because his price tag is only gonna go up.
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

Yeah I think him and his agent want to see that. i don't think lynch and co want to see that before they get a deal done because his price tag is only gonna go up.
This if he posts double digit sacks again and makes the pro bowl. He can demand a top 3 salary at his position if not the highest paid overall.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tulliman:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by tulliman:
Could he pull a L. Bell though?

Not the same situation. Bell played a year through the tag. As a 2nd rounder, he also never had the 5th year option placed on him.

Could he hold out? Sure, anybody can. But he is so far away from ever seeing UFA that what possible end could it achieve?

Far away from ever seeing UFA - because of the 5th year option and franchise tag for how many years...?

He is under contract for 2019, 2020 (5th year option), a lock to get tagged in 2021, and highly likely to be tagged again in 2022.

I think it makes much more sense for both sides to do a deal AFTER 2020.
Our FO better not disrespect this man. He seems like a good dude...and eventually for some, down the road pride comes before money. Especially when you know you'll get paid fine, if not more, somewhere else.

I hope this leak is just his agent doing agent things...and not from our FO.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Our FO better not disrespect this man. He seems like a good dude...and eventually for some, down the road pride comes before money. Especially when you know you'll get paid fine, if not more, somewhere else.

Business is business, and the personal side of it is personal. If he's looking to get paid like Donald, that's not happening. He's not as good as Donald. If he's looking to get paid close to that in the 2nd tier of inside DL (donald is in a tier by himself) then our front office should step up and figure it out. Still, we have him for 3 more years so there needs to be a little give and take on both sides (and we don't know anything about the negotiation, if he's asking for too much, if we're low balling, or a combo of the two)
Paraag: "Buck...hey, you play 3T, 2i and even 1T for us. Top nose tackles make $9M. We good?"
Buckner/Agent:
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Just pay the damn man. No need to go down this road.

Both sides are playing it smart in my opinion and I don't think we should have a problem down the road. From Buckner's perspective, he just had 12 sacks on a D-line that had trouble generating real pressure, and he has been on a nice trajectory since his rookie year. Even though the sack numbers dropped from 2016 to 2017, I'd say as a pass rusher he was better. Then we added edge talent and he should have a better pass rush help from the interior, so he should be even more disruptive going forward, even if the sack numbers don't equal 2018 production. Simply put, Buckner is looking at a great opportunity to have a monster year. So a monster contract comes with that.

From the F.O. perspective, no we aren't in any kind of real cap trouble, but you still have to be sensible about this. Sure I'd like to give Buck top-3 money if that's what he wants. Heck, you'd love if he played well enough to warrant an Aaron Donald contract. But you don't want to actually pay for it because there are other guys to sign, it limits your ability to bring in other people, etc. So you want to keep Buck's number as low as possible, without offending him. Say Buck would sign for 15 million per year, as a FO you are taking that. No need to just go in saying here's 20 + million per year. Then there's guaranteed money, etc to figure out.

I think they will get this done and hopefully they will have this done by this time next year. The last thing they want is to go into a contract year with Buckner set to hit free agency. Even though they control his rights, I'd rather not take it that far. Set a precedent with this new regime on how we treat high priority free agents (coming off of their first contract).
Nothing to worry about, it's really early. They'll agree and I'm predicting an extension by this time next year.

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Nothing to worry about, it's really early. They'll agree and I'm predicting an extension by this time next year.

Agreed
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Business is business, and the personal side of it is personal. If he's looking to get paid like Donald, that's not happening. He's not as good as Donald. If he's looking to get paid close to that in the 2nd tier of inside DL (donald is in a tier by himself) then our front office should step up and figure it out. Still, we have him for 3 more years so there needs to be a little give and take on both sides (and we don't know anything about the negotiation, if he's asking for too much, if we're low balling, or a combo of the two)

You don't have to be the best player at your position to be the highest paid. Next guy up sets the market for the guys that follow. Just like Russell Wilson. He's not even a top 5 qb yet he the highest paid. And the next guy will pass him even if he's not better.
[ Edited by lamontb on May 6, 2019 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Agreed

That's assuming ShannyLynch are both still around. If not, next GM better not low ball offer, pay him top 5 $$.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Pay him

I am confident they will.
what happened to players that just loved to play the game for the game.... enuff of this i want money stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone