LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
I feel this way about Buckner (minus LEO).

Shots fired....Solly.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by okdkid:

You extend him now before he gets VERY expensive.

that way if he gets even better he can be bitter towards the team and his contract later
win-win

Then you can restructure him later. Paraag is the best contract guy in the NFL. Let him do his thing. He knows how to move the money around to maximize the cap health.

I don't see Buckner as the type of guy who will agree to a big money deal and then hold out when someone else gets a better one.

Lol
We constantly are a losing team that signs mid level free agents and are consistently one of the top teams with the most salary caps while other teams seem to win consistently and still have money to bring in FA's.
Seems to me other teams have just as good or better "contract guys"..

I'm not sure why this is stated all the time..

Paraag isnt a scout, hes a contract guy. His job is to manage the teams contracts and payroll. Whether or not the players we sign are worth the money isnt his responsibility. His job is to make sure we don't spend irresponsibly. We're consistently a top 3 cap health team.

We hoard our Cap.
Not hard to manage a cap when you don't spend it.

I really don't understand the praise he gets, but go ahead.

It has nothing to do with who we spend it on or how much we give out. It has to do with manipulating the numbers within the NFL rules to minimize risk.

Remember the "salary cap hell" years? We've never been in that position since Paraag started working our cap. He is constantly working outs into deals to protect the team from financial issues. The 49ers gave Kap a TON, and he worked it so we could basically cut Kap before every league year and have no dead money. He reworks veteran deals almost every year to maximize our short term without killing our long term.

Theres a ton that he brings to the table regardless of how much money we spend. Just because we didn't blow half our cap space on Allen Robinson or Kelechi Osemele doesn't mean hes had nothing to do.

"Salary Cap Hell"

Name the teams in salary cap hell now days please.

I'm 49 in May. been watching this team since I was 10.
Yes I remember salary cap hell.

All teams know how to manipulate the cap and if they don't, then they are 10 years behind the times.
There are so many ways to structure contracts now days it's juat not happening anymore.

Good try though.

The 49ers are only projected to have the 12th most cap space in 2019 at 46 mil. I don't get how you think were "hoarding" money. We back load and front load deals to fit our strategy. Garoppolo is going to make crazy money this year, but get cheaper as the deal goes, instead of being stuck with most his contract later when we're contending.

Plus like another poster just pointed out, our drafts sucked for most the Baalke era, so there was nobody to give extensions to. People who see the extra cap space and complain that we arent doing enough just don't understand the risk of free agency. Its very common for free agents to be busts. Its not a good way to build your team. Use it for adding the final piece to a SB contender, not improving a mediocre roster.

Paraag is known around the league as being one of the very best contract guys. If not the best. It was said that after he worked the Kaepernick deal, agents around football would tell teams "Dont try and Kaepernick us." during negotiations.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by okdkid:

You extend him now before he gets VERY expensive.

that way if he gets even better he can be bitter towards the team and his contract later
win-win

Then you can restructure him later. Paraag is the best contract guy in the NFL. Let him do his thing. He knows how to move the money around to maximize the cap health.

I don't see Buckner as the type of guy who will agree to a big money deal and then hold out when someone else gets a better one.

Lol
We constantly are a losing team that signs mid level free agents and are consistently one of the top teams with the most salary caps while other teams seem to win consistently and still have money to bring in FA's.
Seems to me other teams have just as good or better "contract guys"..

I'm not sure why this is stated all the time..

Paraag isnt a scout, hes a contract guy. His job is to manage the teams contracts and payroll. Whether or not the players we sign are worth the money isnt his responsibility. His job is to make sure we don't spend irresponsibly. We're consistently a top 3 cap health team.

We hoard our Cap.
Not hard to manage a cap when you don't spend it.

I really don't understand the praise he gets, but go ahead.

It has nothing to do with who we spend it on or how much we give out. It has to do with manipulating the numbers within the NFL rules to minimize risk.

Remember the "salary cap hell" years? We've never been in that position since Paraag started working our cap. He is constantly working outs into deals to protect the team from financial issues. The 49ers gave Kap a TON, and he worked it so we could basically cut Kap before every league year and have no dead money. He reworks veteran deals almost every year to maximize our short term without killing our long term.

Theres a ton that he brings to the table regardless of how much money we spend. Just because we didn't blow half our cap space on Allen Robinson or Kelechi Osemele doesn't mean hes had nothing to do.

"Salary Cap Hell"

Name the teams in salary cap hell now days please.

I'm 49 in May. been watching this team since I was 10.
Yes I remember salary cap hell.

All teams know how to manipulate the cap and if they don't, then they are 10 years behind the times.
There are so many ways to structure contracts now days it's juat not happening anymore.

Good try though.

The 49ers are only projected to have the 12th most cap space in 2019 at 46 mil. I don't get how you think were "hoarding" money. We back load and front load deals to fit our strategy. Garoppolo is going to make crazy money this year, but get cheaper as the deal goes, instead of being stuck with most his contract later when we're contending.

Plus like another poster just pointed out, our drafts sucked for most the Baalke era, so there was nobody to give extensions to. People who see the extra cap space and complain that we arent doing enough just don't understand the risk of free agency. Its very common for free agents to be busts. Its not a good way to build your team. Use it for adding the final piece to a SB contender, not improving a mediocre roster.

Paraag is known around the league as being one of the very best contract guys. If not the best. It was said that after he worked the Kaepernick deal, agents around football would tell teams "Dont try and Kaepernick us." during negotiations.

thats before we cut garcon, smith and maybe armstead. we will have around 60ish i think
Not sure if this happened but now would be the time to extend Mr. Buckners contract. The other 2 underachieving 1st rounders could be let go.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/deforest-buckner-18955/
Give this man his money.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Give this man his money.

better not be anywhere near Aaron Donald money.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Give this man his money.

Otherwise what?
Make it rain Shannylynch.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Give this man his money.

Otherwise what?

No second story Jed's cabana.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Shots fired....Solly.

Why is his Twitter handle the female form of the name Gerald?

Originally posted by ninerjok:

Shots fired....Solly.

The female form of Gerald is Geraldine, not Geraldini.
How did the great DeFo not make the NFL top 101 list. I thought the Zone said he was a top 3 tackle?
How did the great DeFo not make the NFL top 101 list. I thought the Zone said he was a top 3 tackle?

They had Carlos Hyde on there (amongst other questionable selections)...enough said
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Shots fired....Solly.

The female form of Gerald is Geraldine, not Geraldini.

Maybe its a houdini reference

Shots fired....Solly.

Nah. Hes a solid 3rd overall pick according to some
Share 49ersWebzone