There are 206 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Which NFL player does he compare to?

Mayock compared him to Calais Campbell. Just like Armstead last year. This could be a NASTY combo in a couple seasons.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well. good player but we have so much depth at DL

Seattle won a super bowl like that. It's not a bad thing at all.

Exactly. And now we have GOOD depth. Williams and Dorsey are always hurt, and TJE is a bubble guy. This makes Dial your top backup (eventually)
Originally posted by kazak13:
well. good player but we have so much depth at DL

Seattle won a super bowl like that. It's not a bad thing at all.
denvers front 7 single handedly won them the super bowl.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Which NFL player does he compare to?

Mayock compared him to Calais Campbell. Just like Armstead last year. This could be a NASTY combo in a couple seasons.

imo hes almost impossible to compare. dude is the biggest linemen in a long time. hes a special player in his own right.
  • Dingo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Armstead and Buckner!!!

Twin towers!!!

Petonus towers taller, and still standing.
I don't know anything about this guy....but watching his sack reel from college.....

I only count 1 coverage sack... almost all his sacks where from swim moves or collapsing the pocket. He looks pre-injury Bryant Young type disruptive.

So he is a workout warrior that actually had good production? This really feels like a safe pick, and versatile....the 49ers are not shoe horned in to any one defense with this guy.

From people who watched him, would yall agree this is a 3 down guy that can play inside or outside?
5 best picks from Day 1 of the NFL draft

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-best-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

1. DeForest Buckner, DE, San Francisco 49ers Our No. 2 player falling to No. 7 overall is a massive win for the 49ers as they reunite Buckner with his former Oregon teammate and last year's first-round pick, Arik Armstead. Buckner is a classic 3-4 defensive end, capable of disrupting against the run and creating pressure from the interior. He was our top-graded interior defensive lineman in the nation last year at +73.0 overall, including the top pass rushing grade (+43.8) and No. 8 mark against the run in the draft class (+29.1). His only weakness is dealing with power at the point of attack, but it doesn't negate his ability to shed blocks and use his wide tackle radius to make plays in the running game. The 49ers got one of the best value picks in the draft.

• Jiks
Not gonna lie, I haven't been this excited for a draft pick since Crabtree. Guys like Ward, Reid, Iupati, Davis, and Aldon were all decent picks, but at the time, being a couch gm and all, they were somewhat meh.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I don't know anything about this guy....but watching his sack reel from college.....

I only count 1 coverage sack... almost all his sacks where from swim moves or collapsing the pocket. He looks pre-injury Bryant Young type disruptive.

So he is a workout warrior that actually had good production? This really feels like a safe pick, and versatile....the 49ers are not shoe horned in to any one defense with this guy.

From people who watched him, would yall agree this is a 3 down guy that can play inside or outside?

Versatile DL that can be moved around, polished player that is a Day 1 starter and yeah that swim move is just disgusting at times for a guy that big to move like that....oh lawd.....anyone that says that all Buckner can do is bullrush is full of it.

I think he fits better as a 3-4 DE. We have better guys to plug up the center. Can you imagine how much he disrupts the passing game even if he doesn't get the sack..it's gonna be like we have two too tall jones at the same time.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
5 best picks from Day 1 of the NFL draft

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-best-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

1. DeForest Buckner, DE, San Francisco 49ers Our No. 2 player falling to No. 7 overall is a massive win for the 49ers as they reunite Buckner with his former Oregon teammate and last year's first-round pick, Arik Armstead. Buckner is a classic 3-4 defensive end, capable of disrupting against the run and creating pressure from the interior. He was our top-graded interior defensive lineman in the nation last year at +73.0 overall, including the top pass rushing grade (+43.8) and No. 8 mark against the run in the draft class (+29.1). His only weakness is dealing with power at the point of attack, but it doesn't negate his ability to shed blocks and use his wide tackle radius to make plays in the running game. The 49ers got one of the best value picks in the draft.

Buckner plays much like J Smith did, with a high motor and overall skills. Armstead is more of a bull plugger who can move the pocket back. Between the two I can see years of a formidable wall, with LBs and DBs blitzing for sacks. If Williams can stay healthy or Purcells develops they have sure solved the DL portion of the rebuild. Now, if they can find an ILB and OLB!
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I think he fits better as a 3-4 DE. We have better guys to plug up the center. Can you imagine how much he disrupts the passing game even if he doesn't get the sack..it's gonna be like we have two too tall jones at the same time.
Gee....and the QB we need to control the most is short......

lol...lets hope for basketball level hand-eye coordination and this guy can use his 11 foot ball batting skills with the 7 foot wide tackle radius to shut down passing lanes.

Side note.....the Refs cant call DEs for holding on every play. With DEs this size...i can see a TON of clean outside rush lanes. Saints use to do it to use with Pat Swilling, they had that 6-5 or 6-6 DE that was use for that ...hell Charles Hailey had Peirce Holt who was 6-5ish DT sized DE.

lol...lets hope for basketball level hand-eye coordination and this guy can use his 11 foot ball batting skills with the 7 foot wide tackle radius to shut down passing lanes.

Side note.....the Refs cant call DEs for holding on every play. With DEs this size...i can see a TON of clean outside rush lanes. Saints use to do it to use with Pat Swilling, they had that 6-5 or 6-6 DE that was use for that ...hell Charles Hailey had Peirce Holt who was 6-5ish DT sized DE.

Would like to see J Smith hired as a DL coach! Teach these guys how to grab the OG and push him into the OT to open a hole for the OLB on a stunt!
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. OLB provides most of the rushing. DE in a 3-4 is almost a DT. Besides, beast mode is gone..so the defense can focus a little bit.

Re sidenote: Cowboy was a stud at doing that for Aldon.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Apr 28, 2016 at 10:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone