There are 186 users in the forums

The key to fixing the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think this is the most honest assessment of the 49ers I have seen. I agree with handing over that executive power to someone else and the family can just sit back and rake in the cash. Considering the Parcells connection, Trent Baalke may even be ok with Parcells being that consultant. With that said, where do you stand on Trent Baalke? I think he's provided enough talent with his drafts in 2013 - 2015 that the team shouldn't look this bad. But he shot himself in the foot with the coaching hire and the way the O-line was addressed, even passing on Evan Mathis when he was available.

I think that Baalke should be evaluated and either let go or kept on the judgment of a new head of football operations that would possess the credibility and knowledge to replace him should they deem it necessary.

What I don't want to see is York firing Baalke to be his scapegoat and then walking three doors down and hiring Gamble the same way that Tomsula was hired.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think he's saying get to the root of the problem. Question is will egos be swallowed/put to the side and we actually do what's best for the team? All we can do is hope at this point.

This, because if people's worst fears are true and the Yorks really don't give a crap after having the stadium built, there's nothing that the fans can do other than quit following the team or being dragged along for the thoroughly miserable ride.

Its not enough for them to just fire and hire a coach or GM, they need to hire someone who will have substantial power to build up the organization and run it in a proper fashion the way the NFL's most successful teams are run. Without that, it will be just more of the same.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
If you look at current front office, there are three candates who were considered as NFL GM on their moment: Tom Gamble, Senior Personnel Executive; Mike Williams, Director of Pro Personnel; Matt Malaspina, Director College Scouting.

That doesn't make them the best candidate. Gamble has been a scout for a long time, has been interviewed for several GM jobs and has yet to land a gig. Firing Baalke and hiring Gamble would be the ultimate York move and its what I'd expect 100% if Baalke was fired. Its exactly the sort of lack of imagination and insulated behavior that is a York trademark now.

That would be like Tomsula all over again. People in the know widely expected that Tomsula would be made HC, even if fans didn't want to believe it. I have the same feeling about Gamble and I don't see him as any sort of exceptional candidate either, or else he'd have been a GM awhile ago.

The last thing that they need is to go in-house. They need someone completely removed from the organization, who hasn't been tainted by it who has an objective viewpoint and can hire the right GM and not the guy closest to Jed's office.

You're right. I just brought the names but personally a new player personnel executives are required. I would like guys as Nick Caserio, Eric deCosta, Ali Highsmith or Brian Gaine (in that order).

Unfortunately, you have to consider how repulsive would Niners turn to if Baalke & Tomsula go, it would be a true Hail Mary to pursue those guys unless they have a complete control of the football roster without any restrictions or conditions. With York and Marathe would be very tough.

I also want Marathe be gone as Team President but I doubt he would be in danger because his real function is managing the salary cap and bring sponsors for the franchise and money is coming to Yorks pockets so don't even try.
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
You're right. I just brought the names but personally a new player personnel executives are required. I would like guys as Nick Caserio, Eric deCosta, Ali Highsmith or Brian Gaine (in that order).

Unfortunately, you have to consider how repulsive would Niners turn to if Baalke & Tomsula go, it would be a true Hail Mary to pursue those guys unless they have a complete control of the football roster without any restrictions or conditions. With York and Marathe would be very tough.

I also want Marathe be gone as Team President but I doubt he would be in danger because his real function is managing the salary cap and bring sponsors for the franchise and money is coming to Yorks pockets so don't even try.

Exactly. Its quite a paradox, you have two guys in charge that don't have a clue how to evaluate a GM candidate and the obvious GM candidates likely want nothing to do with working under them. DeCosta has Newsome's job when Newsome is gone and is in a stable, winning organization. Caserio will have any number of offers from other teams and reportedly has turned down some offers. These guys will be very selective as to where they end up at.

So basically its like hoping for a Hail Mary throw to a blindfolded receiver. That is why I think they need a true football executive, someone stable, intelligent, with a good NFL track record that can properly evaluate a GM candidate, someone that would appeal to some of the higher tier GM candidates and coaching candidates too.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:
Baalke / Jeb need to make the call on Jeepsus... Tomsula got his hand wrapped around his weenie the way Harbaugh had his hand around Roman's!

F**k loyalty to incompetence.

I think there's only so much that you can blame Chryst for. Getting rid of him isn't going to make Kaepernick see the field any better or improve hi touch or accuracy. When you have a QB that has so many limitations, I'm thinking it reduces a lot of what you can do. This is no defense of Chryst, he's been terrible and has shown why he hasn't gotten another OC gig in so long but with Kaepernick at QB, I think any OC is going to spend as much time gameplanning around his weaknesses as they do against the opposing defense.

It goes back to the coaching hiring. Even the biggest Kap fans (I'm included in this) realized he was at a tipping point for him. He need a QB guy/guru. That's why I was so hard on the Mike Shanahan for HC. Dude has a track record of developing QBs. Failure under him really does signify a "needs to go situation" for kap. That's not to mention the staff Shanny would've assembled.

It just scares the s**t out of me that Jed knew the most important position needed help and the answer was a DL coach. Either they are utterly clueless or no one wanted to come here. Either sceniro scares the s**t out of me.
Originally posted by Niners816:
It goes back to the coaching hiring. Even the biggest Kap fans (I'm included in this) realized he was at a tipping point for him. He need a QB guy/guru. That's why I was so hard on the Mike Shanahan for HC. Dude has a track record of developing QBs. Failure under him really does signify a "needs to go situation" for kap. That's not to mention the staff Shanny would've assembled.

It just scares the s**t out of me that Jed knew the most important position needed help and the answer was a DL coach. Either they are utterly clueless or no one wanted to come here. Either sceniro scares the s**t out of me.

Like I mentioned, I think its that Silicon Valley deal. Jed was trying to be smarter than the average bear, he would forge a new path and come up with a new way for football success and it blew up in his face. It was pure hubris and ego, Jed drinking his own Kool-Aid, with him and Baalke seeing far more in Tomsula than what was actually there. I think Jed is eager to make his mark on the team in terms of being a reason for his success but Harbaugh completely overshadowed him. Now he has no Harbaugh and the team is losing games left and right.

The best that we can hope for is that this turns out to be a "lightbulb" moment for Jed where he realizes that he screwed up badly, that he doesn't have all the angles figured out and that it would be better to step back a bit and allow someone with a track record for success in running teams to take center stage. Jed seems to badly want to be Eddie Debartolo and have everyone love and praise him but his approach right now is bringing him closer to being Daniel Snyder.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM ]
49ers need to make me the coach
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
49ers need to make me the coach

Nonsense, a sandwich can't be a head coach.......but you can definitely be the offensive coordinator.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Letting Harbaugh go was unforgivable. We retained the loser (Baalke) and lost a winner (Harbs). York and his pear-shaped body needs to sell this team back to his uncle.
This thread is about how to fix the Niners and not another forty-whiners thread, thx and GTFO.
Nonsense, a sandwich can't be a head coach.......but you can definitely be the offensive coordinator.

lol

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Stopped reading at keeping baalke.
Phoenix...I'm probably one of the more optimistic posters in this forum. I felt Tomsula & his coaching staff deserved a reasonable period to prove their worth. With half the season in the can, I have to admit I'm really fed up with what I'm seeing. I think a clean sweep after the season is in order...I'm talking new GM, new HC & coaching staff and a lot of new/better players. The best thing for the future of the team is to lose their remaining games so they can compete for the #1 draft pick. Even if they get beat out for it, if they're picking in the top 5 they can land a lot of talent. One thing Baalke's very adept at is collecting picks...so they need to do whatever they can to stockpile as many of them as possible. Definitely make some trades...Vernon for starters, but there's no shortage of other candidates. Kap just doesn't have the skills to move this team forward...that said, it's not fair to put all the blame on him. The OL is absolutely horrible...so that has to be a point of emphasis during the entire off-season. With Hyde and Bush out, we don't have an impact RB. Our TE's stink. Our WR's haven't shown a consistent ability to get open and make plays. I know some of that's on Kap, but nobody has really stepped up to lead the way among our entire receiving corps.

Our once stout defense no longer is...they're giving up too many big plays. Teams didn't used to run on us they way they are now. We don't have a good pass rush...so our secondary is often hung out to dry and too many big plays happen. I think Tomsula needs to insert Hodges into the lineup...there's nothing to lose at this point and he's a young guy with considerable upside. Bowman's playing well, but he can't do it alone. Our DL's good at times, but again, they're letting too many big plays happen. I get the offense isn't helping whatsoever, but our defense is a shadow of what it was in recent years.

I don't have anyone in particular in mind to fill the GM and HC positions...what I'd like to see is Jed hire a better talent evaluator and a tough-minded HC with some experience at the position. Tomsula got dealt a crappy hand...and seems destined to fail. Too bad, for he's one of the best position coaches we've had in years. There again, it was Jed/Baalke's job to hire the best coach they could, but whoever it was would have a hard time succeeding with this year's team. Be that as it may, I think a clean sweep is the best solution once this putrid season's over.
I stopped reading sort of around the "GM Trent Baalke didn't do soooooo bad" mark.

How come people are still finding excuses for a FO that has installed by far the worst coaching staff in the history of the NFL??? This group would not even get a job in the lingerie football league, and quite rightly so.

It's actually rather simple. Jed promises to stay out of football operation's ways, he hires a GM that has actually a clue of what he's doing, the GM hires a respected and competent HC, the HC brings in competent coordinators/coaches, and the rebuilding begins through the draft. Three years from now, Niners will be contenders again, as they should be.

[/enddream.]

In reality, this team is doomed for years to come. They'll probably stick with Jed/Baalke/Tomsula for as long as the bucks keep rolling, no matter what the record. And as long as any of the three is still in charge, don't even begin discussing talent, as it plainly won't matter - or manifest, for what it's worth.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
2012 Draft Fail
2013 Draft FAIL
2014 Draft FAIL
and 2015 Does NOT LOOK PROMISING WHATSOEVER Yet Phoenix49er wants to Keep Baalke LOLLLLZ. Can I ask you a question? Are you on Baalke's Payroll??

You can't seriously judge the 2014-15 drafts yet. You gotta give drafts at least 2-3 years. Kinda funny in that fail of a 2014 draft, he found a starting HB, a LB that led our team in tackles in 9 games and pretty much a lone bright spot this year in the pass rushing of lynch. It's a contact sport and injuries happen. I also do not see how a gm can know that a 24 year old dude that played like a ROY is gonna hang it up.
It's ElephantHaley, a mentally retarded version of susweel.
Originally posted by rebel4life:

In reality, this team is doomed for years to come. They'll probably stick with Jed/Baalke/Tomsula for as long as the bucks keep rolling, no matter what the record. And as long as any of the three is still in charge, don't even begin discussing talent, as it plainly won't matter - or manifest, for what it's worth.

Well, even if that is true, hope is all we have, the alternative is basically being the Cleveland Browns and bouncing from HC and GM to HC and GM, with no consistent philosophy and rosters of mismatched toys that one guy drafted for one system but got fired, added on to by guys drafted and coached by some other guys who were also then fired too, its a very bleary, dark future.
Share 49ersWebzone