There are 177 users in the forums

week 5 NYG coaches film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Finished watching the game - there were, as always, positives and negatives to take away from the game.

One thing I'll address right off the bat: There were many of us(from the broadcast, I was one of them too) who assumed that the entire game should be laid at Mangini's feet for playing a straight zone coverage most of the game. After watching the film - I saw very little spot dropping zone coverage and mostly pattern matching and man-coverage throughout the game. In fact, on the last drive of the game, that won it for NY, it was all man-cover 2 or 1 with one cover 3 zone - pattern match. We didn't have a single play of spot dropping zone. It looked like Mangini was trying everything in his tool kit to stop Eli. Sometimes, we got beat conceptually, sometimes, we blew our assignements(more often than not). It looked like no matter what Mangini tried to do, either players didn't execute their assignments or we had ZERO pass rush. There were at least a dozen(hard to keep count because Eli threw it over 50 times) where Manning got to his 5th read on the play with little pressure on him.

When a QB can do that so often throughout a game, there's not much a coach can do. Harold started to get a little pressure near the end, but it wasn't enough. We got no interior pressure, none, zip, zero, natta. That put a lot of pressure on our guys when they were in man-coverage or in their pattern match. One thing with pattern match is, those short checkdowns over the middle are usually going to be open if your pass rush can't get there - and that happened a lot.

What's most worrisome, for me at least, is that we played to, what should be, our players' strength - and got shredded.

On offense - it was good to see us finally get into a rhythm. One thing that I think helped, was seeing more power run than in any previous game. I think that helped hit on a couple vertical plays and to be able to take a couple vertical shots. The ZBS is great, if effectively run. But, considering that our O-line really struggled in their space blocks, it was good to see some old-school power blocking with double-teams and down blocking. It really helped open up the game.

Offense:
Good - Kaep made some great, timing and rhythm throws in the game. There were several where he got the ball out right as he hit his back foot on a 3 step drop - that's encouraging. Also, why he can be so maddening as a player. It's like he'll tease us with greatness, then fall face down - hopefully, after this game, the arrow continues upward.

Our receivers really did a good job of winning a few 1-1's.

Bruce Miller - dude played very well when he was in the game. Made some great blocks, caught a couple passes and had some good, physical runs after the catch. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more Miller in the game in stead of multiple TE's.

Bad - Martin....seems like same story, next chapter, every week. Got pushed around still, whiffed on some blocks and overall, played a poor game.

TE's. Overall, in the game, the TE blocking was very sub-par. There was one play where McD made a great block to spring Hyde, but other than that, all 3 TE's blew blocks at some point, McD and Celek both blew blocks on multiple occasions. Celek's only saving grace was a great route run in the RZ that got a TD.

Defense:
Good - Lynch was solid the game. It's hard when he's the only one getting pass rush for most of the game.
I thought Bowman wasn't nearly as bad as the game looked. It looked like he got exposed more than he did. The last TD, I don't put on him, Bethea played too shallow and Bow was expecting more help over-the -top, so he was in good position. It was also a great throw and catch.

Bad - there was a LOT. Dorsey, Dial, Williams, Carradine, Armstead - all got tried at DT to rush the passer in passing situations and none of them generated anything of an interior rush. Eli had a clean pocket most of the night. On the times we did get pressure, those were the times when we nearly had some turnovers. It was really frustrating, if we'd been able to generate an interior rush, I think we'd have created another turnover at some point.

Tartt - played a very poor game. Got whooped in man-coverage multiple times(including on 1 key play on the final drive). We even tried to sub in reaser at his spot. Also, looked lost in the pattern-match. Which, I understand he's a young guy from a small school(Samford, which is only an hour and half away from me). I've seen their defensive stuff and it's not very complex at all, so I know there's a steep learning curve for someone like him.

Ward played a lot, but played OK. He's under the "bad" because the whole team gave up so much and he was at fault a couple times on key downs. He also struggled, at times, with the pattern match and knowing when and where to pass offf. He also gave up some plays in man-coverage.

As usual, breakdowns to follow.

Quick disclaimer: Some of the defensive breakdowns will probably be fairly long since there's a lot to discuss when talking about pattern matching, and more specifically, fails in pattern matching. Mainly, because it can be so complex that there's a lot of moving pieces to discuss. So, some of the posts on the defensive side might be coming out a little slower than normal.
My favorite plays on offense where the two TD passes. First one to Boldin looked like good ole sprint right option (as a WCO honk that's always warms my heart ) and the stick and nod play to celek was a thing of beauty.
  • thl408
I'd like to see your examples of pattern matching because I didn't see it. I saw a healthy mix of spot drop zone and man coverage (Cover2 Man). I thought Mangini was coming with a lot of zone when watching live, but I was wrong. He mixed it up, but I did not see pattern matching. Eli did a good job of finding mismatches in man coverage. The chunk plays came versus zone, the little 7-9 yard gains came versus man coverage, for the most part. Agree with what you said about no pressure on Eli from the inside. The TV broadcast mentioned it that whichever way Lynch came with his rush, Eli went the opposite direction. Lynch needs a running mate.

NYG played a lot of zone coverage versus Kap. After ARI and GB came with majority man coverage with success, I thought that was going to be the blueprint moving forward with how teams would defend the 49ers passing game. I liked Kap under center as the playaction from it seemed very effective and gave Kap time and he was crisp on some three step drop plays. Kap played a much better second half, but that was easy to see.
This is the first big play given up by the defense on the first drive of the game. 8:58 1st QTR.

This was a spot dropping zone coverage - but, because we run a slot blitz.

NY motions the TE across the formation, which reveals zone coverage.

We run a Nickel DB blitz off the slot and play a fire zone behind it. NY runs a play action fake first - which is huge in the play.

you see Eli is right after the run fake, Brock bites on the run fake. Notice how his outside foot is so wide, he was trying to sidestep a potential WR block. He's not in a place where he has to try and recover.

In trying to recover, Brock tries to reach out and grab Beckham, but doesn't pull it off. Wilhoite is in a good drop on the inside vertical. Notice how much deaper Acker is than Brock and they're both playing a vertical release.

Eli throws the pass and you see Reid take an angle at the inside vertical seam route(which would be the anticipated throws versus this coverage, had Brock not given up the vertical in his zone.

By the time Reid realizes that Eli isn't throwing to the seam, it's too late.

If Eli had thrown this ball out a little further, probably gonna be a TD.
I really didn't like the blitzes. I know they wanted to generate pressure, but Eli and others are too smart for those types of blitzes. It always seemed like they were one step ahead of us. :/

edit-oh I wrote this, just as that post above me was being created.

interesting though. Looking forward to seeing other plays where the players didn't stick with their assignment.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM ]
The Bruce Miller factor. Even under Harbaugh, we were a different offense with Miller in the game. Dude can do so many things.
Thanks jonny!

Excellent as always.

I agree, seeing more of Miller than 3 TE sets would help.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
This is the first big play given up by the defense on the first drive of the game. 8:58 1st QTR.

This was a spot dropping zone coverage - but, because we run a slot blitz.

NY motions the TE across the formation, which reveals zone coverage.

We run a Nickel DB blitz off the slot and play a fire zone behind it. NY runs a play action fake first - which is huge in the play.

you see Eli is right after the run fake, Brock bites on the run fake. Notice how his outside foot is so wide, he was trying to sidestep a potential WR block. He's not in a place where he has to try and recover.

In trying to recover, Brock tries to reach out and grab Beckham, but doesn't pull it off. Wilhoite is in a good drop on the inside vertical. Notice how much deaper Acker is than Brock and they're both playing a vertical release.

Eli throws the pass and you see Reid take an angle at the inside vertical seam route(which would be the anticipated throws versus this coverage, had Brock not given up the vertical in his zone.

By the time Reid realizes that Eli isn't throwing to the seam, it's too late.

If Eli had thrown this ball out a little further, probably gonna be a TD.

jonny, I think this is a busted Fire Zone blitz and Brock is the goat on the play. If you watch before the snap, Brock looks back at Reid and makes a few motions that, if I was a body language reader, I'd think he was saying "wtf do I do". After the play, he is talking to Reid as well.
I think this is what is supposed to happen. Blue are the deep zones, orange is the underneath zones.

Sorry jonny, I had this play also cut up last night so I don't want to duplicate your work. Not saying you are wrong, not saying I'm right, just that we see it different and want to open it up for everyone else to see.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'd like to see your examples of pattern matching

Here's an example of pattern-matching from the 1st qtr, 3nd drive of the game. 3:31.

Here, NY is going to run a hard play action fake and come back across. Notice how Both Acker and Brock turn their hips inside at the snap - that's tell-tale zone coverage. We're running a cover 3 pattern-match. NY is going to run a deep post(i drew it wrong, my bad) from the outside receiver at the bottom and then run a wheel route from the inside receiver. They'll then also bring the TE across into the flat.

A couple things to take not of to see the difference between zone, man and pattern-match zone. Notice how Brock is leaving his zone for an inside post route. Acker is also releasing inside because of the inside release of the outside receiver as well. Bethea doesn't trail the receiver, in pattern match, the outside, underneath, defender is to pass that more vertical receiver to middle defender on his side(Wilhoite) - the underneath inside release goes to the underneath defender on the other side of the field(Bow). You see Wilhoite take that receiver(he feels it really welll). also, you see Ward playing his man-through his zone.

Ward takes on the wheel route(pattern-match) now going vertical. Brock is also trailing the receiver through his zone as well. Wilhoite feels the rollout by Eli and is dropping into underneath coverage of the WR as well. Note how Acker is trailing the receiver, but he's obviously not in man-coverage. Bethea stays at home, checking the RB release. Bowman then attacks the flat route.

Note the key defenders to see the pattern-match. You see how they're all in zone and Ward has taken man-coverage on the vertical release, which then assigned Bowman any receiver on his side of the field.
  • thl408
Here's the 49ers first pass of the game. Something easy to get Kap going. This has been done in the previous games as well to help get Kap into a groove. He was not helping his own cause the past couple weeks so Geep goes super simple and calls a WR screen. Doesn't get easier than that.
The key block here is Staley (orange). His athleticism is really on display here. NYG is in their nickel package.

Staley release inside of the OLB to help sell the run action to the right and help with misdirection.

Staley then sprints out wide to lead the blocking.

Staley's block on the safety springs Ellington. +30 yards

Originally posted by thl408:

Sorry jonny, I had this play also cut up last night so I don't want to duplicate your work. Not saying you are wrong, not saying I'm right, just that we see it different and want to open it up for everyone else to see.

I guess I'm a little confused as to how we saw it differently - cause I definitely saw it as a busted first zone(mentioned that in the post). I guess the only thing we might disagree on is if Brock was biting on the play action or just confused as to the playcall?
We need some d lineman that can disengage and get after the qb. So on that play it's just a s**tty play from Brock
For what it's worth, my feeling was in line with thl as well (obviously) but MB backs your assertion up as well (not sure how qualified he is):

49ers film review: Defense had right calls, bad execution late in game

BY MATT BARROWS

[email protected]

The 49ers allowed 190 receiving yards to running backs and tight ends on Sunday. That mostly was attributed to problems in coverage by linebackers NaVorro Bowman and Michael Wilhoite. They certainly contributed to the issue, but on the Giants' fateful final drive, when running back Shane Vereen did so much damage as a receiver out of the backfield, the 49ers had safety Jaquiski Tartt on the field mostly acting as a spy on Vereen.

That theoretically was a smart alignment for San Francisco. The 49ers' second-round draft pick is seemingly built for playing close to the line of scrimmage and for covering backs and tight ends. Tartt, however, had trouble with Vereen and, as Pro Football Focus notes, allowed catches all six times he was targeted Sunday, giving up 96 yards total.

New York Giants tight end Larry Donnell (84) comes down with a catch for the game-winning touchdown against the San Francisco 49ers during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Giants won 30-27. Bill Kostroun The Associated Press

The bigger problem Sunday was that Aaron Lynch was the only 49er who consistently put pressure on Eli Manning. The 49ers missed Ahmad Brooks. Neither Corey Lemonier nor Eli Harold recorded a tackle or a quarterback hit. Looking at the stat sheet, it was as if neither played.

I counted one instance in which Harold, who played 33 snaps, got a hand on Manning. He was going against fellow rookie Ereck Flowers, a familiar opponent from the ACC (Flowers, a tackle, played at Miami; Harold at Virginia). Harold didn't do well against Flowers in college and was largely handled on Sunday. Harold's main issue -- he has no power move at this point. Adding strength and explosion has to be goal No. 1 for him during his rookie season.

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's an example of pattern-matching from the 1st qtr, 3nd drive of the game. 3:31.

Here, NY is going to run a hard play action fake and come back across. Notice how Both Acker and Brock turn their hips inside at the snap - that's tell-tale zone coverage. We're running a cover 3 pattern-match. NY is going to run a deep post(i drew it wrong, my bad) from the outside receiver at the bottom and then run a wheel route from the inside receiver. They'll then also bring the TE across into the flat.

A couple things to take not of to see the difference between zone, man and pattern-match zone. Notice how Brock is leaving his zone for an inside post route. Acker is also releasing inside because of the inside release of the outside receiver as well. Bethea doesn't trail the receiver, in pattern match, the outside, underneath, defender is to pass that more vertical receiver to middle defender on his side(Wilhoite) - the underneath inside release goes to the underneath defender on the other side of the field(Bow). You see Wilhoite take that receiver(he feels it really welll). also, you see Ward playing his man-through his zone.

Ward takes on the wheel route(pattern-match) now going vertical. Brock is also trailing the receiver through his zone as well. Wilhoite feels the rollout by Eli and is dropping into underneath coverage of the WR as well. Note how Acker is trailing the receiver, but he's obviously not in man-coverage. Bethea stays at home, checking the RB release. Bowman then attacks the flat route.

Note the key defenders to see the pattern-match. You see how they're all in zone and Ward has taken man-coverage on the vertical release, which then assigned Bowman any receiver on his side of the field.
Thanks. Just watched that play closely and I see what you pointed out. Ward matching the wheel route from his curl/flat zone is the giveaway of pattern matching from cover3 for me. Can you list another couple examples of what you are seeing? Only because I'm at work and can't really pour over the film. No need to cut the play up, just tell me the time of the play(s) and I can watch for myself. If you have other examples that are cut up, I'll wait for those.

I think the problem is I am so accustomed to the way Fangio did it that I am not quick to identify the way that Mangini does it. To me, it's much simpler the way Mangini is doing it. This is twice we've seen it from a cover 3 shell. There was a play cut up versus GB showing pattern matching where I wasn't sure if it was PMing and you confirmed it. Fangio was all about Quarters or Cover6, occasionally Cover7. Whenever I saw two offset safeties, I knew Fangio was running some sort of split coverage with pattern matching.
Here was another example, of what I think is, pattern matching. Again, I'm not an NFL coach, but, from what I see, it looks like a pattern match cover 3 "sky". One thing about pattern-matching, is that it's meant to disguise if it's actually zone or man-coverage. It's supposed to be difficult for NFL QB's to determine, so, it's tough for to determine sometimes. I'll point out why I think it's a pattern-match. 13:53 2nd QTR.

To me, I think this is a cover 3 "sky" zone. The "sky" is where you keep the receiver on the TE side in flat coverage. Your SS has deep 3rd on that side.

Both Acker and Brock open up their hips at the snap(Acker is trailing the receiver though, so it could go either way). As far as I've seen, when in "sky" if there is a vertical release from the TE, the outside corner has to pick up and trail the receiver across the field. Bow see's a vertical release from the slot, so he heads to the flat. In pattern matching, the outside defender(Ward) trails the vertical release, then passes him off and looks for either an underneath crosser or a DIG. NY runs a "dagger" concept on this play. With an inside streak and a DIG coming behind. This is a key play, it's 3rd and 9.

You see Wilhoite playing with inside technique on the TE, expecting that outside zone from the safety, also, you see Ward pass off the vertical release to Reid - that's the part that tells me it's pattern-match, along with the other guys looing like man-coverage.

We've trailed all receivers going through zones, except for Ward, who passed his off - based off the releases, that's how it should go, if it's cover 3 "sky" with a pattern match. For some reason though, as Eli steps up in the pocket, Ward then starts to drift back, which opens up the DIG for Beckham.

You see the DIG get open and Eli hits it for a key first down. Also, note how Brock covers Beckham, if he was playing a spot drop, he would've dropped back for a possible "corner" route. If he was playing man, he always takes inside leverage - another reason I think it's a pattern-match zone.
Share 49ersWebzone