There are 115 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.

Some people just can't resist being an (insert word here).

Akili has more passing yards, more TDs, less interceptions, better completion pct., better QB rating, thats a fact. He also played with worse talent and coaches in the NFL, also a fact.

You're talking about college??? College??? Lol!!!
LOL.....alright, I'll stop f**king around. It obvious Montana is one of the greatest, however I was a bigger Young fan because of my age(34)
Im 35 and remember the Greatest

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything about not being able to remember Montana, did I?
Brady is a great player, barnone, but I have had the joy to watch both play a lot of games, and the one thing for me that separates the two is the feeling I have when the game reaches late in the 4th quarter. No one has ever exuded the level of confidence and the feeling we were going to win like when Montana played. No game ever seemed out of reach for Montana to take over and get the win (unless against the Giants in a NFC championship game).
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.

Some people just can't resist being an (insert word here).

Akili has more passing yards, more TDs, less interceptions, better completion pct., better QB rating, thats a fact. He also played with worse talent and coaches in the NFL, also a fact.

You're talking about college??? College??? Lol!!!
LOL.....alright, I'll stop f**king around. It obvious Montana is one of the greatest, however I was a bigger Young fan because of my age(34)
Im 35 and remember the Greatest

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything about not being able to remember Montana, did I?
Well you did say your a fan of Young because you are 34......Why else would you bring up age?
Joe Montana played with the greatest wide receiver of all time. Besides Moss for 2 years, Brady has never played with any great receivers.

Brady has more Playoff WINS, more playoff TOUCHDOWNS, and as many Super Bowl victories. He has also been to TWO more Super Bowls than Montana. Making it to 2 more Super Bowls is a big deal.

And it doesn't matter if Brady lost 2 Super Bowls....Montana lost playoff games in the divisional rounds......Brady made it farther in the playoffs before losing.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 108,292
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Joe Montana played with the greatest wide receiver of all time. Besides Moss for 2 years, Brady has never played with any great receivers.

Brady has more Playoff WINS, more playoff TOUCHDOWNS, and as many Super Bowl victories. He has also been to TWO more Super Bowls than Montana. Making it to 2 more Super Bowls is a big deal.

And it doesn't matter if Brady lost 2 Super Bowls....Montana lost playoff games in the divisional rounds......Brady made it farther in the playoffs before losing.

meh. you should go help fund the Pats' $1M fine.
Originally posted by crake49:
No. It means Montana has a perfect record in Super Bowls and Brady doesn't. You can't beat perfection. Yes, Brady won more Conference championships. That's another issue. And if you want to go there, you need to consider Montana's conference. Do you really think Brady's American conference in the 2000's was as tough as Montana's National conference in the 80's?

No i dont
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Joe Montana played with the greatest wide receiver of all time. Besides Moss for 2 years, Brady has never played with any great receivers.

Brady has more Playoff WINS, more playoff TOUCHDOWNS, and as many Super Bowl victories. He has also been to TWO more Super Bowls than Montana. Making it to 2 more Super Bowls is a big deal.

And it doesn't matter if Brady lost 2 Super Bowls....Montana lost playoff games in the divisional rounds......Brady made it farther in the playoffs before losing.

Once more..... perfect is better than not perfect.

Brady is a great, great, Hall of Fame caliber quarterback. But nobody can beat perfect in the biggest game, especially perfect over 4 biggest games. If someone comes along and posts another perfect record over 4 Super Bowls with no interceptions and a QB rating higher than 127.8, I'll call that guy equal or better.

And BTW, only two of Montana's Super Bowl wins featured Rice at receiver. Who were his receivers in '84 when he out-performed the great Dan Marino? Furthermore, did any of Montana's competition in Super Bowls pull a face plant like the Seahawks did this year basically giving him the game? No.

How about a one game Super Bowl QB rating of 147? Has Brady or ANYONE in the history of the NFL ever done anything remotely similar to that? I don't think so.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

That and he never lost a SB, or threw a pick in a SB. Brady did that 9 years ago.

Montana has always been the greatest. Now the public opinion of this generation just realizes it.
Originally posted by crake49:
Simms played on the same team as Lawrence Taylor - that helped. But he still only played 9 games in '87, 4 in '91 and 4 in '92.

Everett wasn't a statue at all - when he first started, people were saying he would be the "next Joe Montana."

Kelly was one of the first to do consistent no-huddle - that system was bang, bang, get the ball out fast.

Marino had the quickest release in NFL history.

I don't even know why anyone around here would try to argue that the NFL wasn't harder physically on QB's in the 80's than it is today. Come on. Were you even watching? Even the mobile QB's took tremendous beatings. Does Joe Theisman ring a bell?

I never stated QBs didn't play a tougher game in the 80s...simply saying that not-so-mobile QBs did play and do well in the 80s, as is the case with the ones I mentioned, your "explanations" notwithstanding. And Jim Everett beind bandied as "the next Joe Montana"? Yeah, think I missed that one.
Joe won 4 in 10 years

Brady won 4 and lost 2 in 14.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I never stated QBs didn't play a tougher game in the 80s...simply saying that not-so-mobile QBs did play and do well in the 80s, as is the case with the ones I mentioned, your "explanations" notwithstanding. And Jim Everett beind bandied as "the next Joe Montana"? Yeah, think I missed that one.

LOL, yeah, that was really a product of Southern California media. Pretty much everyone up here was laughing. But I used to spend a lot of time down in LA at a corporate office filled with Rams fans and that was their story. I actually watched the '89 conference championship game in a LA sports bar with a bunch of Rams fans. The next morning, the headline on the LA Times was "The San Francisco Chainsaw Massacre." That was pretty much the end of the "next Joe Montana" talk when Everett basically sacked himself in that game.
There is no question joe is the greatest quartrrback of the salry cap era. You dont need stats to prove this just watch him play. He is so superior in petformamce running the first genetation walsh wco that its blasphemy to eben consoder another candidate. Forget the supet bowls. Watch the games.

Brady is so far removed from having joes ability to read the field and execute that any suggestion he is comparable is utterly without merit.

Tom brady is a good qb. Before the knee he was a very good qb. But not possesing joes mental skillset. No way.

Someone suggested that brady never played with great recievers. Is that a joke, before i start naming the long list of all pros who have caught balls for brady?
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Brady is a great player, barnone, but I have had the joy to watch both play a lot of games, and the one thing for me that separates the two is the feeling I have when the game reaches late in the 4th quarter. No one has ever exuded the level of confidence and the feeling we were going to win like when Montana played. No game ever seemed out of reach for Montana to take over and get the win (unless against the Giants in a NFC championship game).
A lot of this applies to Brady too...

SB XXXVI, WIN vs Rams:
  • 17-17 game with 1:21 remaining ... Pats start at their own 17
  • Brady leads 9-play, 53 yard drive to set up Vinatieri for GW 48-yard FG
  • Brady was 5-8 for 53 yards (81.8 passer rating) on the drive

SB XXXVIII, WIN vs Panthers:
  • 29-29 game with 1:08 remaining ... Pats start at their own 40
  • Brady leads 5-play, 37 yard drive to set up Vinatieri for GW 41-yard FG
  • Brady was 5-6, 67 yards (113.2 passer rating) on the drive

I know everyone likes to discredit Brady because of Vinatieri, but hey, Tom got them into field goal range to begin with...

SB XLII, LOSS vs Giants:
  • trailing 7-10 with 7:54 remaining ... Pats start at their own 20
  • Brady leads 12-play, 80 yard touchdown drive to put Pats up 14-10 with 2:45 remaining
  • Brady was 8-11, 71 yards (119.9 passer rating) on the drive
  • (Pats ultimately loss, thanks in large part to the legendary David Tyree catch... still, very impressive drive by Brady)

SB XLIX, WIN vs Seattle:
  • Seattle was up 24-10 heading into the 4th quarter of SB XLIX.
  • The last time Seattle lost a game while leading by 10+ points in the 4th quarter was in 2004.
  • 29 times a team had a 10+ point lead in the second half of a Super Bowl. Before this last Super Bowl, those teams were 29-0.
  • Brady gets the ball back with 6:52, trailing 21-24...
  • Leads a 10-play, 64-yard drive, culminating in a go-ahead touchdown pass.
  • On his last drive, Brady went 9-9 for 71 yards (136.6 passer rating)
  • Brady's overall 4th quarter: 13-15, 124 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 140.7 passer rating

Those are some pretty ridiculous season-on-the-line moments from Brady. Very "Joe Cool"-esque, if I do say so myself...
Originally posted by crake49:
Once more..... perfect is better than not perfect.

Brady is a great, great, Hall of Fame caliber quarterback. But nobody can beat perfect in the biggest game, especially perfect over 4 biggest games. If someone comes along and posts another perfect record over 4 Super Bowls with no interceptions and a QB rating higher than 127.8, I'll call that guy equal or better.

And BTW, only two of Montana's Super Bowl wins featured Rice at receiver. Who were his receivers in '84 when he out-performed the great Dan Marino? Furthermore, did any of Montana's competition in Super Bowls pull a face plant like the Seahawks did this year basically giving him the game? No.

How about a one game Super Bowl QB rating of 147? Has Brady or ANYONE in the history of the NFL ever done anything remotely similar to that? I don't think so.

Amazing that some Niner fans on here actually thinks Brady or Marino is better then Montana. What kind of Niner fans are you guys. What let me guess you mad cuz he didn't bring us like 15 tittles is that it? Jeez i would be ashamed to call myself a Niner fan if my thinking was Joe wasn't the GOAT. Some ppl are just never satisfied.

[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on May 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone