There are 211 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by LVJay:
#OneShot #OneKill #OneChance to win the big game... you go with the guy who doesn't choke #SuperBowlGoatMontana...Joe would never turn the ball over in the biggest game, he proved that to the world #FACT

Joe never went into the big game with inferior teams. You can't say Joe doesn't lose/doesn't turn the ball over in the big game when he has done so earlier in the playoffs where he can't get to the big game.

Yes the Superbowl is the biggest game of the year but if you don't win your playoff games earlier you don't get to play in the Superbowl!

If anything you can make the case that the NFC was much stronger so him getting to the SB allowed him to play against inferior teams.

And if you want to say Montana played better in Superbowls that's fine but don't say Brady choked because that's ridiculous.

Brady had 2:21 with 1 timeout to score a TD. Holding him responsible for that fumble and saying he choked when the Pats never punted and he led them to 4 straight TD drives before that drive is sheer stupidity.

How about when you're the far superior team, your record is 18-0 and you lose the biggest game. That's a big flaw to me.

Excellent point! He could have equaled the '72 dolphins, but failed.
At least until Jimmy G is well into his career. Don't be selfish Joe, puff puff pass.

Guys guys it's unanimous - Montana's the GOAT and nothing you can say (channelling my inner steve wallace helmet) will change my mind so deal with it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:
#OneShot #OneKill #OneChance to win the big game... you go with the guy who doesn't choke #SuperBowlGoatMontana...Joe would never turn the ball over in the biggest game, he proved that to the world #FACT

Joe never went into the big game with inferior teams. You can't say Joe doesn't lose/doesn't turn the ball over in the big game when he has done so earlier in the playoffs where he can't get to the big game.

Yes the Superbowl is the biggest game of the year but if you don't win your playoff games earlier you don't get to play in the Superbowl!

If anything you can make the case that the NFC was much stronger so him getting to the SB allowed him to play against inferior teams.

And if you want to say Montana played better in Superbowls that's fine but don't say Brady choked because that's ridiculous.

Brady had 2:21 with 1 timeout to score a TD. Holding him responsible for that fumble and saying he choked when the Pats never punted and he led them to 4 straight TD drives before that drive is sheer stupidity.

How about when you're the far superior team, your record is 18-0 and you lose the biggest game. That's a big flaw to me.

Technically Dolphins didn't go 18-0 or 19-0...

And while 14 points with that offense was very underwhelming Brady did get the lead late in that game and the defense allowed Eli to score the winning TD with that crazy David Tyree play where Eli really should've been sacked.

In the 89 Postseason Montana threw 11 Touchdowns and no Interceptions which Brady has never done.

And while 14 points with that offense was very underwhelming Brady did get the lead late in that game and the defense allowed Eli to score the winning TD with that crazy David Tyree play where Eli really should've been sacked.

None of that matters. Brady had one of the best rated offenses in NFL history and could only score 14 points. He should've been able to score enough so he didn't have to rely on the defense. Montana never scored less than 20 points in a Super Bowl.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Technically Joe went 18-1 *and* won the super bowl.
Originally posted by Arsenal2004:
None of that matters. Brady had one of the best rated offenses in NFL history and could only score 14 points. He should've been able to score enough so he didn't have to rely on the defense. Montana never scored less than 20 points in a Super Bowl.

I agree scoring 14 points with that offense was not good but at the end of the day you just need more points than the other team. He got his team the lead late in the game and the defense couldn't hold.

I find it difficult to take the whole Joe never did this thing seriously just because we're only looking at the Superbowl and ignoring everything else. He's had awful games against the Giants as well and didn't make the SB.

We never saw Joe come back down 28-3 in the 3rd quarter in the SB...should that count against Joe because he was never in that situation?

Not to mention Brady just had his team score 34 or whatever it was(including 2 kicks missed accounting for another 4 points) and still lost. Joe never had his team give up more than 21 points. Brady would love to see his D hold the Eagles to 21 the other day.

I just don't understand people holding the losses against Brady when you realize he also has 5 wins to go with the 3 losses. It's silly honestly.

And the fact is Tom Brady was one of us. He will probably still tell you he thinks Joe is the best ever. I don't understand why so many niner fans love to bash him to try to bring up Joe.
Lets see Brady get hit as many times as Joe did in his era where there wasn't the, "you tap the QB on the head with an index finger and there's a penalty" rules in place and continue to be able to play as long as he has and be proficient. Then we might be able to talk about this fairly.

The hard part is this debate of Joe vs Tom can never be settled. What Tom has done is impressive - as much as it pains me to say that because I can't stand him nor the Patriots. The only time I ever wanted them to win was against the Seahawks in a, "who do I hate least" game.

But, they played in different eras. Joe's time, the game was much, much different. Defenders mauled QB's. Hits to the head? Sure, that's fine. Low at the knees? Yep, go ahead.

Joe's SB window as a starting QB wasn't that long. 11 years. In 10 years he won 4 SB's and injury may have kept him from a 5th. We don't know how that 1990 NFCCG would have turned out if Joe wasn't on the sideline with cracked ribs, a broken hand, bruised sternum and bruised stomach. Steve made a big throw on the final drive and Roger coughed it up, but one has to wonder if Bill wouldn't have called a passing play there in the 4 minute drill if Joe was in the game.

Let's also not forget why Montana was pulled in the 1986 NFCCG where Young had his epic run that's shown on the highlights. Walsh pulled Montana after 2 picks because Joe had been dealing with elbow problems from all the wear and tear of the NFL at that time. He had surgery in the off-season and came back and won the SB the next year.

In 1991 people also forget that he tore a tendon in his throwing arm in training camp - it's why Steve started in 91. Steve won the passing title that year, but you still have to wonder if it wouldn't have gone all the way with Joe under center.

Joe also played in a time with much less medical knowledge and sports injury knowledge than we have today. I highly doubt Tom is going to have the long term health affects that Joe has had to deal with since playing even though he will have played a lot more games(Joe is headed for a 3rd neck fusion on top of bad arthritis in his legs and arms).

There's no denying that Tom is great. There's no denying Montana was great. But, if you look at the adversity and brutality of the game in Joe's era, to do what he did is incredible.

If healthy, I would pick a Joe Montana over Brady 10 times out of 10.

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Lets see Brady get hit as many times as Joe did in his era where there wasn't the, "you tap the QB on the head with an index finger and there's a penalty" rules in place and continue to be able to play as long as he has and be proficient. Then we might be able to talk about this fairly.

The hard part is this debate of Joe vs Tom can never be settled. What Tom has done is impressive - as much as it pains me to say that because I can't stand him nor the Patriots. The only time I ever wanted them to win was against the Seahawks in a, "who do I hate least" game.

But, they played in different eras. Joe's time, the game was much, much different. Defenders mauled QB's. Hits to the head? Sure, that's fine. Low at the knees? Yep, go ahead.

Joe's SB window as a starting QB wasn't that long. 11 years. In 10 years he won 4 SB's and injury may have kept him from a 5th. We don't know how that 1990 NFCCG would have turned out if Joe wasn't on the sideline with cracked ribs, a broken hand, bruised sternum and bruised stomach. Steve made a big throw on the final drive and Roger coughed it up, but one has to wonder if Bill wouldn't have called a passing play there in the 4 minute drill if Joe was in the game.

Let's also not forget why Montana was pulled in the 1986 NFCCG where Young had his epic run that's shown on the highlights. Walsh pulled Montana after 2 picks because Joe had been dealing with elbow problems from all the wear and tear of the NFL at that time. He had surgery in the off-season and came back and won the SB the next year.

In 1991 people also forget that he tore a tendon in his throwing arm in training camp - it's why Steve started in 91. Steve won the passing title that year, but you still have to wonder if it wouldn't have gone all the way with Joe under center.

Joe also played in a time with much less medical knowledge and sports injury knowledge than we have today. I highly doubt Tom is going to have the long term health affects that Joe has had to deal with since playing even though he will have played a lot more games(Joe is headed for a 3rd neck fusion on top of bad arthritis in his legs and arms).

There's no denying that Tom is great. There's no denying Montana was great. But, if you look at the adversity and brutality of the game in Joe's era, to do what he did is incredible.

If healthy, I would pick a Joe Montana over Brady 10 times out of 10.

Here's the thing. I agree playing offense in that era was a lot tougher and QBs took much more punishment.

However I don't think we can simply say that if they switch spots that Brady's career is ended quickly and Joe plays great into his 40s.

Tom Brady goes through a ridiculous regiment and a crazy extreme diet to keep his body in shape and he actually looks better moving around these days than he did in his 20s as crazy as that is.

Not to mention there are plenty of QBs getting injured today as well. Guys may not be able to hit the same way they did back in Joe's playing days but QBs still get hit and they get hit hard. The whole thing about comparing era's is hypotheticals. I think you have to compare guys among their peers.

With Joe you had Marino and Elway. Elway had what was it 3 trips to the SB before the salary cap era? 5 total when he was done?

With Brady what other QB comes close to his success since he took over as the Pats starter? Manning? 4 trips with 2 wins to Brady's 8 trips with 5 wins. We all know his SB numbers(pretty sure he has more picks than TDs)

Yes you can argue that the teams Brady had were better but we've watched Joe, we know there is such a thing as having "IT" and Brady, like Joe, has IT.

You don't come back down 28-3 in the 3rd unless you can make magic happen.

You don't go to 8 Superbowls with very different teams if you don't have IT.

I know people like to point out that Belichick is a mastermind who can win with everyone but I don't agree. The biggest thing everyone points to is Matt Cassel in 2008 but he took over a stacked team and his performance was a huge decline in play from Brady the year prior...including the Pats missing the playoffs for the first time since Brady's 2nd year in the league.

I mean forget just making the playoffs with Brady they've made it to the AFC Championship or further 12 times out of Brady's 16 years where he started most of the games.

Besides not like Joe didn't have good coaching either...coaching which was perfect for his play style too.

I don't have an issue with you or someone else taking Joe. I don't agree but I respect the opinion and can understand it but I just don't like the idea that Brady in the 80s is some kind of broken b***h who can't complete a pass when he's playing against more complex defenses, faster, stronger and bigger players.

Against the mediocre Giants who ranked 14th out of 32 in scoring and 17th out of 32 in points allowed.
Guys, a 6'5 230 LB QB is less durable than 6'2 205 LB QB...And those 280 LB DTs hit so much harder than today's faster and stronger and bigger DTs. Poor little Brady would've died on the field.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Against the mediocre Giants who ranked 14th out of 32 in scoring and 17th out of 32 in points allowed.

Where are you getting your numbers from first of all?

Second styles make fights and Giants did what few teams could do that year...get to Brady and they did it often.

Brady was only sacked 21 times during the regular season in 16 games. Giants took him down 5 times in that one game and hit him a lot more than that.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Where are you getting your numbers from first of all?

Second styles make fights and Giants did what few teams could do that year...get to Brady and they did it often.

Brady was only sacked 21 times during the regular season in 16 games. Giants took him down 5 times in that one game and hit him a lot more than that.

One of the best DLs is now considered medicore because some people want to cherry pick certain stats. SMH...
Share 49ersWebzone