LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Montana is #13 all time in regular season passing yards and #11 in passing touchdowns. How the eff could he be ranked #110 all time considering his playoff exploits as well???

Maybe he just mistakenly added a zero to that #11. At any rate, he doesn't seem like he wants to explain.
The fact that Tom Brady is even being compared to the great Joe Montana should already tell you that these two are equal. They'll both be HOF'ers, with a lot of rings.

Only people in 49er homers and Patriot homers would argue otherwise.

#harshreality

/thread
[ Edited by verb1der on May 13, 2015 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Montana is #13 all time in regular season passing yards and #11 in passing touchdowns. How the eff could he be ranked #110 all time considering his playoff exploits as well???

Maybe he just mistakenly added a zero to that #11. At any rate, he doesn't seem like he wants to explain.
But what about the other QB's mentioned? He has Bradshaw ranked 71 and Jim Kelly 84
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Wasn't it Dan Fouts 5000 yards season that Dan Marino broke in his 2nd year??

and Steve Young did throw for 4000 yards 2x.. Bill Kenney (KC) or Glenn Dickey (GB) also threw for some amazing yardage if my memory served me well..

the point thru this argument really is, lesser QBs threw for so that much yardage then because of the defenses where much more tough back then.. and I don't mean, better defender, but the league was less tough on defense back then..

QBs now a days can actually feel comfy standing tall in the pocket and deliver a good balls because each time they get touch rough, it's a penalty..

I remember when the QBs of the 80s and 90s were gettin hit by the crown of the helmets under the chin and it would not be a penalty... I don't care how tough and acurate you are, I played QB in high school, and got head slapped, hit on the chin, and trust me, it does affect your mentality in the pocket..

even WRs of todays are running around in the middle of the field so comfortably because they know the days of Ronnie Lott, Ken Easley, Deron Cherry, Chuck Cecil are long long longgg gone...
Originally posted by 9moon:
Yes and everybody and their mother surpassed that plateau (4,802 yds) Christ, even Matt Schaub got close to that poor Fouts
Originally posted by verb1der:
The fact that Tom Brady is even being compared to the great Joe Montana should already tell you that these two are equal. They'll both be HOF'ers, with a lot of rings.

#harshreality

/thread

Flawed logic. To compare does not make equal. You can compare your old Ford with a Ferrari and by your logic that would make them equal.

Brady is a excellent qb. But not the best ever.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by verb1der:

#harshreality

/thread

Flawed logic. To compare does not make equal. You can compare your old Ford with a Ferrari and by your logic that would make them equal.

Brady is a excellent qb. But not the best ever.

Flawed analogy, the majority are comparing these two and these two only.
I remember when the QBs of the 80s and 90s were gettin hit by the crown of the helmets under the chin and it would not be a penalty... I don't care how tough and acurate you are, I played QB in high school, and got head slapped, hit on the chin, and trust me, it does affect your mentality in the pocket..

Here's a vid of Leonard Marshall lowering his head and hitting Montana right in the back of the neck with the crown of his helmet. No penalty. A guy would be fined and probably miss a game or two for the exact same play today.

If Montana played today in his prime with Rice and Taylor in their prime they would put up video game numbers every week. Especially with today's tackling, their numbers would just be silly. Now you score by just tossing the ball deep. They would not only do that but nobody takes a slant 90 yards like they used to, at least not as regularly. They would be unguardable during games and Joe would not only pass for 350-400 yards a game he would probably add another 25-30 yards on the ground each game. He would also more than likely lead the league in completions and completion %. They made it look easy back then how easy do you think they would make look today? It's no secret the guys from the 60s and 70s thought the game in the 80s was not as tough but looking at today's game compared to the 80s there is really no comparison. They throw penalties on every big hit if it looks bad and you can't touch the QBs now they say you can't hit a WR if he's defenseless meaning when he's trying to catch the ball. Now last year they have started to move the protection to RBs. Just put skirts and flags on them. The numbers don't mean as much to me anymore. Jerry was a 40 year old man still catching 75 plus balls for 1,000 plus yards and a broken down Joe was leading a KC offense with average players and an over the hill RB to an AFC Title Game. Those two would kill it with today's rules no doubt.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Yes and everybody and their mother surpassed that plateau (4,802 yds) Christ, even Matt Schaub got close to that poor Fouts

Why so serious???

Back in the days, 4000 was out of this world.. and why u talkin bout their mama??

mother's day comin you know...

Originally posted by crake49:

Here's a vid of Leonard Marshall lowering his head and hitting Montana right in the back of the neck with the crown of his helmet. No penalty. A guy would be fined and probably miss a game or two for the exact same play today.

Yes the good Ol' days Goodell has done a marvelous job of implementing pee wee league rules in to a once proud game (for adults) of Football, that is now considered to be nearing closer to 2 hand touch
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

Why so serious???

Back in the days, 4000 was out of this world.. and why u talkin bout their mama??

mother's day comin you know...
LOL my bad
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on May 13, 2015 at 1:21 PM ]
You hit Aaron Rodgers the way Marshall hit Joe or the way Philly treated Joe on the turf in 89 and Rodgers would either be broken in half or there's no way he's even remotely effective. Same thing with Manning and Brees. Favre could probably handle it but he'd probably be forced into 3 to 4 pics. I doubt Brady could handle it either. Anytime you get a few early hits on a QB now they turn into Jim Everett.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
lol..

actually, mother's day was last weekend!! lol

but don't talk about their mama!! lol

Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
You hit Aaron Rodgers the way Marshall hit Joe or the way Philly treated Joe on the turf in 89 and Rodgers would either be broken in half or there's no way he's even remotely effective. Same thing with Manning and Brees. Favre could probably handle it but he'd probably be forced into 3 to 4 pics. I doubt Brady could handle it either. Anytime you get a few early hits on a QB now they turn into Jim Everett.

True, unless you're a player like Joe Montana. He was a hell of a lot tougher than most people seem to realize. He took a huge beating almost every year.
Share 49ersWebzone