LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Tampa Bay Punter Bradley Pinion

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
If they can find a punter who can also KO - get him!

If not, stay w/the Big P.

If only we had one guy who could do punting, Kick offs, and field goals. Save a roster spot

Truth!

Has there ever been a guy who could do all 3 at a high level??

A guy like that could really make some $$$.

I don't know man. I better get to Planet Fitness and start working on all 3!
The team needs to get a new punter. Pinion could never flip the field when the team needed it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by northoakland510:
The team needs to get a new punter. Pinion could never flip the field when the team needed it.

who would kick off then.. its a problem
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

If only we had one guy who could do punting, Kick offs, and field goals. Save a roster spot

Truth!

part of me wants to say ray guy did, but probably wrong. that is old school
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Wow, you took the time to break down each of my points on Pinion - good for you. I don't at all agree with you that he's a below average punter given the total package he offers.

I'm not going to comment on each of your assessments of my points - not worth the time IMO as we're talking about a punter who's done a good overall job in my eyes. But I'll respond with a few things. The directional punting comment I made was just alluding to the fact that he can do it - and do it well if needed with some distance (you never know when a new ST coordinator might come in and change things up and have this happen more frequently). Also, he can flip the field at times - yet he's not a booming punter each and every time (no one is). He's no Andy Lee in this area, I'll say that (and Andy was a tough act to follow). Yet he's not as bad as you're mentioning. I only pay so much attention to other teams' punters (I know Hekker's a great one, unfortunately)...I just know Pinion hasn't been a disappointment to me over the duration of his time here with his distance punting.

All in all, from what I've seen over the course of his time with the team (not just this year and not just from stats), I feel you're being over-the-top critical of him and I do hope the team re-signs him for the reasons I've mentioned. Again, the entire package he brings is the main reason. We'll agree to disagree - and although I don't agree with your overall assessment and I've given you some expanded feedback on why I hope the team re-signs Pinion, you won't find me calling your opinion "asinine".

Translation: Thanks for the facts/stats but I'd rather ignore them and keep believing what I want to believe.

Truth!

I don't know man. I better get to Planet Fitness and start working on all 3!
Keep us in the loop.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Truth!

He probably could.

I think we'd have to go wayyyyyyyyyy back.

Truth!

He probably could.

Yes you would.

The dual player is almost impossible to get with the Kicker using a swivel hip action and a Punter more of a straight up and down action.
Folks who know the mechanics of doing both at such a high level would likely say it is tough to do.

Drop kicks are really the best way to get dual status. But since 1934 the practice was rarely used due to the ball not being as round as a Rugby ball anymore.

During the Seahags post season game their Kicker went down with a hamstring issue leaving Michael Dickson (Rookie Punter) to do Kick Offs and Field Goals. He had already drop kicked (on side) earlier in the season and after they scored a TD at the end of the game I was waiting to see history by this kid drop kicking a one pointer. instead that gum chewer went for and got the two points conversion and still lost the game. He still had a kick off to try and get an onside drop kick going but failed badly.
He was picked for the pro bowl and I wished the Niners had got him because of how limited Pinion is. But I guess the team had bigger needs.

There are some college guys trained by Ray Guy that are making waves.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Truth!

He probably could.

Yes you would.

The dual player is almost impossible to get with the Kicker using a swivel hip action and a Punter more of a straight up and down action.
Folks who know the mechanics of doing both at such a high level would likely say it is tough to do.

Drop kicks are really the best way to get dual status. But since 1934 the practice was rarely used due to the ball not being as round as a Rugby ball anymore.

During the Seahags post season game their Kicker went down with a hamstring issue leaving Michael Dickson (Rookie Punter) to do Kick Offs and Field Goals. He had already drop kicked (on side) earlier in the season and after they scored a TD at the end of the game I was waiting to see history by this kid drop kicking a one pointer. instead that gum chewer went for and got the two points conversion and still lost the game. He still had a kick off to try and get an onside drop kick going but failed badly.
He was picked for the pro bowl and I wished the Niners had got him because of how limited Pinion is. But I guess the team had bigger needs.

Thanks and good post KRO.

Truth!

He probably could.

Yes you would.

Thanks and good post KRO.
Thanks.

Anybody have any thoughts on the commentary from last week on NBC that instead of the Punter doing the holding role that the back up QB should do it?
Anybody have any thoughts on the commentary from last week on NBC that instead of the Punter doing the holding role that the back up QB should do it?

I have been saying this what seems like decades. Its absolutely ridiculous to me that the backup QB doesnt do this.

Joe Montana used to be our freakin holder. Joe. Montana. Yet we wont let our #2 or #3 QB do it. So strange.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Wow, you took the time to break down each of my points on Pinion - good for you. I don't at all agree with you that he's a below average punter given the total package he offers.

I'm not going to comment on each of your assessments of my points - not worth the time IMO as we're talking about a punter who's done a good overall job in my eyes. But I'll respond with a few things. The directional punting comment I made was just alluding to the fact that he can do it - and do it well if needed with some distance (you never know when a new ST coordinator might come in and change things up and have this happen more frequently). Also, he can flip the field at times - yet he's not a booming punter each and every time (no one is). He's no Andy Lee in this area, I'll say that (and Andy was a tough act to follow). Yet he's not as bad as you're mentioning. I only pay so much attention to other teams' punters (I know Hekker's a great one, unfortunately)...I just know Pinion hasn't been a disappointment to me over the duration of his time here with his distance punting.

All in all, from what I've seen over the course of his time with the team (not just this year and not just from stats), I feel you're being over-the-top critical of him and I do hope the team re-signs him for the reasons I've mentioned. Again, the entire package he brings is the main reason. We'll agree to disagree - and although I don't agree with your overall assessment and I've given you some expanded feedback on why I hope the team re-signs Pinion, you won't find me calling your opinion "asinine".

Translation: Thanks for the facts/stats but I'd rather ignore them and keep believing what I want to believe.

LOL exactly.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I have been saying this what seems like decades. Its absolutely ridiculous to me that the backup QB doesnt do this.

Joe Montana used to be our freakin holder. Joe. Montana. Yet we wont let our #2 or #3 QB do it. So strange.

Right there with you. I've always wondered about that. Maybe the hesitation is that it would take practice reps away from the QB doing QB work? Seems like it would be the Special Teams equivalent of the Shanahan-esque philosophy of disguising formations by running basic looks with versatile players.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

LOL exactly.

Keep "translating" and "LOLing" all you want - I've given my opinion with detailed reasoning on why I'd like the team to re-sign Pinion. I pay attention to stats but I also trust my eyes from many years of watching football (my memory goes back to the Jim Miller years). For Pinion, I'm considering the entire package he brings as I've already detailed. Again, he's not at all the best punter I've seen or even for this team over the years (Andy Lee is tough to beat...Runager was pretty good) - I'm not saying that by any means. I've given detailed reasoning but regardless, I'm not going to change the opinion of some around here and it's not my intention. I'll ask you this if you think you have the answer: What do you want the team to do instead of re-signing Pinion? The FA market? If so, whom? Or, I hope you don't say, "draft a punter", with only 5 picks (maybe 6 w/ the comp pick).
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Jan 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone