LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

The Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt Gonna Rip Your Face Off Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
This is actually the kind of SS I have always wanted to see paired with Reid.

I wanted Deon Buchanan last year, and this guy is similar. Very much like Kam Chancellor (who I also wanted way back in that draft).

Given who they have currently, I would have waited and taken Geathers. But forgetting who the DIDN'T draft, I have no issue with Tartt being a 9er.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
WTF!!!!

Not really sure what the hell Baalke is thinking. We have Bethea signed for a couple more years and he is playing well. On top of that we already had two safties drafted in the 1st round with Reid and Ward. If there was an injury at safety Ward could step in so WTF? IF they really liked this guy and it seemed a bit of a reach then why not at least trade back 5-6 slots and pick up another draft pick and then take him. With a 1st round pick safety Ward already buried on the depth chart this is a luxury pick at best so you can easily afford to move back and get an extra pick and risk he gets drafted by someone else.

We could have had a CB. An ILB to fill in for the loss of Willis and Borland. We could have taken a pass rusher, We could have our pick of TE's since none had been taken. We could have gotten a Guard. Maybe a WR like Strong. A swing tackle like Fisher. We draft a safety to go along with the other 2 1st round pick safties we drafted the last 2 years? And we reach for the pick as well?

I once heard that to make yourself look good, surround yourself with knowledgeable people. Now that all those people are gone and the show is left for Jed York and Trent Baalke to run, it's sure looking like they're making questionable choices. Best players available? REALLY?

It's going to be an interesting 2015 season!
Comparisons to Kam Chancellor and Rodney Harrison? The more I read about the kid the more I like the pick.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It's not the player that pisses me off about this pick, because he was/is rated as the #3 Safety, it's the position that pisses me off!!!!

Last year everyone said we did not need an ILB when we took Borland...turns out we did and he was one of our best players on D. (que the corny jokes about Baalke knowing player X is next to retire ). Baalke has a plan and knows our needs that pertain to what our coordinators plan to do scheme wise better than any of us.

Also go ahead and rewatch the first Cards game from last year. Given they were so thin at ILB, Bowles schemed a heap of 4 safety looks to beat us. This kid could compete to play in nickle and dime as a rook and help on ST's in year one, and teams tend to play about 60% of their defensive snaps in nickle nowadays. Anxious to hear Baalke speak on this pick and what they have in mind exactly...might not be what Bowles did in week 3 but obviously they saw something they liked.

Also to those who claim reach or could have had later...those are assumptions. No one knows what other teams are thinking or what their boards look like.
...And on this day the entire niners fanbase rage quit and Trent Baalke got the last Trololololololol. But seriously can someone who has not hung them selves or jumped off the ledge provide analysis on this guy.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on May 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM ]
Originally posted by thatdudeRamon:
Comparisons to Kam Chancellor and Rodney Harrison? The more I read about the kid the more I like the pick.

Tartt should be an absolute stud on special teams—a guy who starts on all four core units and produces every Sunday. By the middle of the season, opposing teams should have to game-plan for him on kickoff coverage, and I expect Tartt to be near the top of the production chart in the special teams meeting room.

im down, he looks hella legit to me. they maybe thinking of him as a corner, who knows.
I can see this guy being played like Kam Chancellor or Rodney Harrison, very physical and rugged. I like it!

Ian Rapaport and some others are reporting that the Eagles and another team were trying to trade up for him.

Lmao if Eagles trade up for him and we take him

dudes a thumper. can never have enough of those on D.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Tartt should be an absolute stud on special teams—a guy who starts on all four core units and produces every Sunday. By the middle of the season, opposing teams should have to game-plan for him on kickoff coverage, and I expect Tartt to be near the top of the production chart in the special teams meeting room.

Lol at taking a special teamer in the 2nd round
lol i want get the fan reaction compilation of the WTF looks. But in all seriousness looks like we are trying to build depth on this team. I really see reid and bethea being our starting safeties for atleast 2 more years. Someone please make me feel better about this pick.
A reach by at least one round. Knew about him as a sleeper prospect, but not a 2nd rounder.

Baalke's 49er.com picture
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on May 1, 2015 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone