LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

The Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt Gonna Rip Your Face Off Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
He already plays some in the box, our Safeties are interchangeable in this scheme. Even played the slot still. And they already plan to bring him closer to the line of scrimmage this season, at least more often than last, to give him more playmaking opportunities instead of just taking away the deep ball. It's possible that they are doing this to transition him there if/when Tartt leaves

It's weird the only yr he actually plays a full season, he's used primarily as a FS. I know he can play every position in the secondary. He's best suited IMO to play FS though. I see no point using him as a box safety.

single-high is pretty damn important in this cover 3 scheme. There's opportunities for turnovers, he just didn't get them this yr. That's in part because of our DL.

I will disagree the plan is to move him to SS. He will break down again if that happens IMO.

I agree with this, FS is his best position to play. Just re-sign Tartt for a deal around Ward's deal, we'd be fine at Safety, Tartt is underrated by people, our defense suffered when he got hurt and Harris played, Harris looked lost out there. That's why I'm rooting for Jared Mayden to take his spot, he can play SS, FS, and CB, and lead Bama in INTs.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
He already plays some in the box, our Safeties are interchangeable in this scheme. Even played the slot still. And they already plan to bring him closer to the line of scrimmage this season, at least more often than last, to give him more playmaking opportunities instead of just taking away the deep ball. It's possible that they are doing this to transition him there if/when Tartt leaves

It's weird the only yr he actually plays a full season, he's used primarily as a FS. I know he can play every position in the secondary. He's best suited IMO to play FS though. I see no point using him as a box safety.

single-high is pretty damn important in this cover 3 scheme. There's opportunities for turnovers, he just didn't get them this yr. That's in part because of our DL.

I will disagree the plan is to move him to SS. He will break down again if that happens IMO.

I agree with this, FS is his best position to play. Just re-sign Tartt for a deal around Ward's deal, we'd be fine at Safety, Tartt is underrated by people, our defense suffered when he got hurt and Harris played, Harris looked lost out there. That's why I'm rooting for Jared Mayden to take his spot, he can play SS, FS, and CB, and lead Bama in INTs.

The discussion is about if/when Tartt leaves, not whether FS or SS is better for Ward. Of course FS is Wards best position
Some of his injuries were soft tissue injuries and had nothing to do with physical contact, if you're trying to insinuate that him playing FS and further away from the action was the reason he played the whole season. I don't know what the plan is, just was saying it could be an option if Tartt does leave, with Ward already signed and Moore waiting in the wings. Ward is by far the better tackler of those two and Moore may be able to cover more ground with his speed as the FS of the two. But to your point, he can just as easily break down again playing FS vice SS

I mean his main role is getting into passing lanes and being the last line of defense, if a CB get's burnt or a LBer missing a tackle Ward is there to clean it up. IMO he shouldn't be shooting into rushing lanes trying to tackle dudes that are 20lbs bigger than him on the reg. His body isn't built for that... If you think it is, well we will disagree on that.

I like Moore, they can use him in big nickel and dime personnel groups. Let's be honest we can't count on Ward to be healthy for a full yr, they should always have a decent FS hybrid guy waiting in the wings.

My pt is I'm not moving Ward to SS if they can't resign Tartt.

Yeah I'd like to see what Mayden can do. I'd like to see Tartt back in SF after this yr as well... I'm not down for moving Ward (again).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM ]
Some of his injuries were soft tissue injuries and had nothing to do with physical contact, if you're trying to insinuate that him playing FS and further away from the action was the reason he played the whole season. I don't know what the plan is, just was saying it could be an option if Tartt does leave, with Ward already signed and Moore waiting in the wings. Ward is by far the better tackler of those two and Moore may be able to cover more ground with his speed as the FS of the two. But to your point, he can just as easily break down again playing FS vice SS

I mean his main role is getting into passing lanes and being the last line of defense, if a CB get's burnt or a LBer missing a tackle Ward is there to clean it up. IMO he shouldn't be shooting into rushing lanes trying to tackle dudes that are 20lbs bigger than him on the reg. His body isn't built for that... If you think it is, well we will disagree on that.

I like Moore, they can use him in big nickel and dime personnel groups. Let's be honest we can't count on Ward to be healthy for a full yr, they should always have a decent FS hybrid guy waiting in the wings.

My pt is I'm not moving Ward to SS if they can't resign Tartt.

That's fair. I do agree that his body isn't built for that too. Still, I'd move Ward over to SS before putting Harris back in there and to give Moore his opportunity to start.
  • thl408
I thought Tartt had a good year last season and his solid play was missed when he was out of the lineup and Harris had to play. If Tartt has a season where he produces multiple splash plays, he may price himself out of the 49ers range since the 49ers have other FAs that I would prioritize over Tartt. If the 49ers defense looks like the 2019 defense, then the safeties are interchangable. We can't live in fear of putting Ward near the line of scrimmage. There are big collisions for a deep safety too.

We need TMoore to emerge as an effective safety. His rookie season (2018) was a throwaway having him learn CB. Fortunately the 49ers shifted last season to a scheme that resembles what Moore did in college where he was a Quarters safety. If Moore can become a contributor, it will help answer a huge question for the safety group in 2021.
Do you think Mayden will take Harris roster spot? I don't know who's better between the two.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Do you think Mayden will take Harris roster spot? I don't know who's better between the two.

No idea what Mayden can do but if he understands his assignments then he's off to a great start at replacing Harris.
The main problem is that Tartt is very good. Anyone behind him is a drop off. Moore I think would be a reasonable replacement. Harris' play was questionable and I don't see him as more than a backup. I doubt a developmental UDFA can make that jump in a year.

Yeah I'd like to see what Mayden can do. I'd like to see Tartt back in SF after this yr as well... I'm not down for moving Ward (again).

Yeah I want Tartt back, and I also want to see what Mayden can do, I'm also against moving Ward to SS.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49erF90:

No idea what Mayden can do but if he understands his assignments then he's off to a great start at replacing Harris.

This
Tartt's huge tackle for a loss on that double reverse was a thing of beauty.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Ehhh. Him and jimmie. Go long periods without making a difference
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bors:

This, most the time I don't even know if he is playing.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by bors:

This, most the time I don't even know if he is playing.

I don't know that we should care. I mean, there are difference making safeties and they're nice to have. Splash plays are nice. But considering they're essentially the last line of defense, if we know they're playing that may not necessarily be the greatest thing in the world either.

Do your job and make a play when you can. Tartt seems to do that about as well as we could probably ask for overall. Every year it's like QB's. There's a handful or less, and really likely less that are remotely difference makers on the field when it comes to safeties.
Share 49ersWebzone