LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
don't get so worked up over preseason. players are trying to get through without getting hurt.
Originally posted by natrone06:
The hate this man still gets is wild. Nice guy that does a ton for the community and is the third best player on the defense "f@cK hIm hE sUCkS". Lol y'all stay weird.

He could be the Mother Theresa for all I care, he sucks at football and doesn't worth anywhere near his salary.
Originally posted by DrGonzo49:
The hate this man still gets is wild. Nice guy that does a ton for the community and is the third best player on the defense "f@cK hIm hE sUCkS". Lol y'all stay weird.

He could be the Mother Theresa for all I care, he sucks at football and doesn't worth anywhere near his salary.

But he doesn't suck by any metric. You are just telling on yourself. And I care about the character of the players I root for. You don't have to. That's fine.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Arik Armstead is either really dumb or selfish. Yesterday, he did what he does about at least once a game, and that is chasing the QB's upfield shoulder and allowing the QB to spill out and get to the perimeter. If Greenlaw and Key weren't hustling to the ball, the QB would've taken off for a big gain.

they either are coaching him to do this are he's just totally clueless.
He's a loafer. He takes plays off, and that includes mentally.
Just hope they move him back to the inside where he can be at least decent, putting him on the edge is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Ok Arik

My account has been around since Arik was probably 11 years old lol

Arik's dad?

Yeah, I wonder about the coaching. He seemed to move too aggressively toward what he thought was a running back carrying the ball so it was way too easy for the QB to get by him. If it is coaching they sure as heck need to stop it because there's a lot of QBs that we'll be facing that can get around him if he keeps crashing down hard on option plays where the QB keeps the ball. If it isn't coaching, then, yeah, he's clueless and by this point in his career he should be way past such cluelessness.

I like Arik. I think he would be a starter on the d-line on a lot of NFL teams but his production since his contract has not matched his contract.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Yeah, I wonder about the coaching. He seemed to move too aggressively toward what he thought was a running back carrying the ball so it was way too easy for the QB to get by him. If it is coaching they sure as heck need to stop it because there's a lot of QBs that we'll be facing that can get around him if he keeps crashing down hard on option plays where the QB keeps the ball. If it isn't coaching, then, yeah, he's clueless and by this point in his career he should be way past such cluelessness.

I like Arik. I think he would be a starter on the d-line on a lot of NFL teams but his production since his contract has not matched his contract.

I like Arik too. Ofc he's a quality starter, but he's a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. He has no business playing DE for us. Its maddening how often he loses contain or gives up the edge. He can get away with that pressuring from the inside. When you are that last guy on the edge, giving that up has often led to disaster for our defense. I've watched him do it time and again, way too often, just as many others here have noted. Are our coaches not seeing the same thing? Put him in a position to succeed, he's proven he can be valuable at DT. He's also proven to be a liability at DE.

I mean, I love Warner and how great a coverage LB he is, but we'd all go crazy if we put him at LCB and then wonder why he got torched by DHop. Gotta put your players in a position to succeed. Its as much on the coaches as it is on him. Its obvious he's trying to play hero ball at DE and he cant do it.

He's very very good vs the run. Always has been close to elite. However, he's inconsistent as a pass rusher. From inside and outside. Kinda reminds me of Mike McGlinchey in that respect (elite run blocker but bad at pass pro).

He had a great year with Bosa and took over some games. I just don't think he is worth 17 mil APY. He's also not even the third best player on D.

Bosa, Ford, Warner and Verrett are all much better but if he has another great year like in 2019 I would put him at 5th.
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 24, 2021 at 12:11 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Arik Armstead is either really dumb or selfish. Yesterday, he did what he does about at least once a game, and that is chasing the QB's upfield shoulder and allowing the QB to spill out and get to the perimeter. If Greenlaw and Key weren't hustling to the ball, the QB would've taken off for a big gain.

someone said he is the third best player on our defense,. that is laughable in my opinion

Originally posted by cciowa:

someone said he is the third best player on our defense,. that is laughable in my opinion

It's not just laughable, it's plain stupid.

Verett
Bosa
Warner

all 3 who are absolutely better then Arik.

Then you got guys like Ward and Kwuan are arguable better.
I've always felt that Arik gets by on athletic ability instead of using that ability to dominate. I felt that way when he played here at Oregon and I still see it in the NFL. He's got the size and athleticism to be a dominant player but I don't know if he has the mental attitude like the Bosa brothers, Watt and Donald.
Originally posted by cciowa:

who said that.. i can see maybe 3rd best DL ?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've always felt that Arik gets by on athletic ability instead of using that ability to dominate. I felt that way when he played here at Oregon and I still see it in the NFL. He's got the size and athleticism to be a dominant player but I don't know if he has the mental attitude like the Bosa brothers, Watt and Donald.
That's it
I think Armstead is OK but expect him to be gone after his current contract expires.

Maybe even cut early.

Pay the elite stars (Bosa and Warner) restock others with younger and cheaper alternatives.
Share 49ersWebzone