LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Balmer 2.0
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
THIS DUDE FKN SUCKS!
If Philly was going to get Armstead, we would have just traded the pick to them. I'm a Duck fan that lives outside of Portland, and watch many games live in Eugene. Armstead to me never really dominated, and always had me wishing he'd do more. Hopefully he does that now for my Niners, but like most of you, I was hoping that we would steer clear of him. Nothing we can do now, but hope he puts it together, and proves us wrong.
Originally posted by slowriot:
Jimmy Durkin ‏@Jimmy_Durkin 19s20 seconds ago
Armstead: "I had a good visit (with #49ers). I felt comfortable with everybody."

It's really Armstead plus this year's 4th and next year's 5th. He was projected to go with us or right around where we picked...most predicted him to us.

But he's 6'7" 300+ and Dial is 6'6" 300+ and now you have 2 additional inside pass rushers in Dockett and Carradine. We have Williams and Dorsey healthy as well at NT. And for your HC, you want to appease him...collective effort on this pick would be my guess. Justin is set to retire any minute.

If Tomsula and staff can't get the most out of him nobody will! Truly. So even if you think he's young, soft, underdeveloped, isn't inspired, etc. and s/h gone around mid-40's, you still have the "value" in the 4th we picked up this year as well as the 5th next year.

And if his potential is reached it could be a steal WITH additional value.

In our defense we need tall, big-bodies who can set the edges and free up our pass rushers and help collapse the pocket. We need that arm length and height to bat down passes, contain and tackle RB's on the edge, etc. He will certainly be coached up here. No doubt.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2015 at 7:33 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Not worried about his sack numbers like others are. He's a 3-4 DE, not an edge rusher.

I just worry about his technique and consistency. Was hoping we'd get a more productive college player in the middle of the 1st rd. No doubt he has the talent.
Well he's who most experts expected us to pick. We did that and grabbed a 4 and 5 so Baalke gets props for that. His payoff is a year out but he should get a lot of good practice against A. Davis who similarly entered the league as a raw and 20 yo first round pick.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Good job Baalke lol
...and Marcus Peters picked next by KC. I'd rather have Peters.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
maybe he won't be elite, doesn't mean he has to be kentwan balmer, and not every wr is gonna be aj jenkins

Not saying he's going to bust, just thought we would grab a better player at 17. Armstead is very talented, that's why he went so high, but I felt his actual performance didn't warrant the pick.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Obviously a pick made for potential. Baalke and Co. need to realize that Tomsula is the HC now and doesnt have time to coach up mediocre dlinemen anymore. If he reaches his potential then awesome but this guy had mid to late round production.

"Talented and big as hell. He's the one guy I've had a hard time grading. You watch him and you see the talent of a first-round pick. But then he plays like a fourth-round pick," the scout told nj.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000487647/article/scout-critical-of-oregon-dl-arik-armstead
[ Edited by Toronto49er on Apr 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM ]
Dude will be out of the league in 3 years
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Not worried about his sack numbers like others are. He's a 3-4 DE, not an edge rusher.

I just worry about his technique and consistency. Was hoping we'd get a more productive college player in the middle of the 1st rd. No doubt he has the talent.

So his production dipped and he didn't looked inspired and tentative d/t an ankle injury? That could explain things...and if true, he played through it and did his job...sounds like he was asked to do exactly what we ask. So perhaps he's more developed for our system than some think?
Nobody thought we would take AJJ in the first in 2012 and he was a huge bust.

Many media types predicted Armstead to us in the first this year = championship
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

So his production dipped and he didn't looked inspired and tentative d/t an ankle injury? That could explain things...and if true, he played through it and did his job...sounds like he was asked to do exactly what we ask. So perhaps he's more developed for our system than some think?

Arikuses.
Share 49ersWebzone