LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm sure Heroism will give his thoughts on this as well but I've also pondered how they run this.

Paas rush is the primary skill set of the 3T and there's an extra reason you want Hargrave next to Bosa on nearly every down, base and rush. So does that move AA to 1T? Only 1 team ran more than 50% of the time on first down (Bears) last year. It's a pure passing league now. Even Kyle was only at 38.46% (8th).

AA was born and raised inside a 3-4 so do we need to really move him out to DE in base? Can he stay exclusively at 1T?

Watching him blow up the Raiders on the goal line suggests to me he can do it.

Exactly. He is a monster inside. He isn't Hargrave as a pass rusher but most guards get destroyed by AA. He can own on the outside as well but isn't athletic enough to seal the deal in space.

I'm not the expert but I do expect Ferrell-AA-Jackson-Bosa in base, the alternating responsibilities for Hargrave and AA. Hoping we also draft a run stuffer at DT that can give us 20 or more snaps in base. Then Jackson replaces Ferrell on passing downs and our guys go kill the QB. If we can get the space eater that bodes well because it allows more rest for AA and Hargrave.

It also shows to me we have more space than people realize- 2-3 rookies could make the team on D-line. Ideally I'd want a 4th (a second run stuffer) on the practice squad as insurance for injury (Kinlaw), plus he's most likely gone after this year anyway.

If Kinlaw is healthy this year and his knees aren't imploding - what do you guys think of:
Bosa - Gravedigger - Kinlaw - Armstead. ? Would be an incredible run stop lineup with strong pass rush.

i really liked how jackson looked in his limited play time this year - super athletic. Got quite a few tipped passes. Excited to see how he looks going into year 2.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'm sure Heroism will give his thoughts on this as well but I've also pondered how they run this.

Paas rush is the primary skill set of the 3T and there's an extra reason you want Hargrave next to Bosa on nearly every down, base and rush. So does that move AA to 1T? Only 1 team ran more than 50% of the time on first down (Bears) last year. It's a pure passing league now. Even Kyle was only at 38.46% (8th).

AA was born and raised inside a 3-4 so do we need to really move him out to DE in base? Can he stay exclusively at 1T?

Exactly. He is a monster inside. He isn't Hargrave as a pass rusher but most guards get destroyed by AA. He can own on the outside as well but isn't athletic enough to seal the deal in space.

I'm not the expert but I do expect Ferrell-AA-Jackson-Bosa in base, the alternating responsibilities for Hargrave and AA. Hoping we also draft a run stuffer at DT that can give us 20 or more snaps in base. Then Jackson replaces Ferrell on passing downs and our guys go kill the QB. If we can get the space eater that bodes well because it allows more rest for AA and Hargrave.

It also shows to me we have more space than people realize- 2-3 rookies could make the team on D-line. Ideally I'd want a 4th (a second run stuffer) on the practice squad as insurance for injury (Kinlaw), plus he's most likely gone after this year anyway.

If Kinlaw is healthy this year and his knees aren't imploding - what do you guys think of:
Bosa - Gravedigger - Kinlaw - Armstead. ? Would be an incredible run stop lineup with strong pass rush.

i really liked how jackson looked in his limited play time this year - super athletic. Got quite a few tipped passes. Excited to see how he looks going into year 2.

Not a fan. A 295 DE will get exploited by more mobile QB's and OZ teams (e.g. Superbowl). AA was OK outside but was born to play inside. It's also a passing league so "base" defenses that run out heavier packages to stop the run are only stopping themselves on first downs now. Bring the pressure and keep it coming in waves early and often. Kinlaw at best, is a part of that rotation but mostly in short yardage and goal line because he's not anything close to a pass rusher (yet, if at all).

Not a fan. A 295 DE will get exploited by more mobile QB's and OZ teams (e.g. Superbowl). AA was OK outside but was born to play inside. It's also a passing league so "base" defenses that run out heavier packages to stop the run are only stopping themselves on first downs now. Bring the pressure and keep it coming in waves early and often. Kinlaw at best, is a part of that rotation but mostly in short yardage and goal line because he's not anything close to a pass rusher (yet, if at all).

Couldn't have said it better myself. We can't count on Kinlaw.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We can't count on Kinlaw.

Nope. Not until he proves otherwise, that is. We can still hope.

Agree that AA needs to stay inside. He takes up two OL and his long hands and height is why. Even when he doesn't get much penetration sticking his hands up may cause either batted balls or cause the QB to hesitate, maybe long enough for others to do the damage. Not to mention allowing the LB to shoot the gap and make the plays. I just feel he will have the same year he had when Buckner was here now that JH is here..

Let the other youngsters like Jackson and Celine have their Shot.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Agree that AA needs to stay inside. He takes up two OL and his long hands and height is why. Even when he doesn't get much penetration sticking his hands up may cause either batted balls or cause the QB to hesitate, maybe long enough for others to do the damage. Not to mention allowing the LB to shoot the gap and make the plays. I just feel he will have the same year he had when Buckner was here now that JH is here..

Let the other youngsters like Jackson and Celine have their Shot.

Exactly. Ferrell on run downs (who is a good run defender) and a mix of Jackson, Bryant, and hopefully Diaby/Harrison or some other rookie DE.
Wonder if they gonna take a potential replacement of AA within a couple of years, in this draft. Serve as depth until then.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wonder if they gonna take a potential replacement of AA within a couple of years, in this draft. Serve as depth until then.

I doubt it, but I'd definitely look at a DT that could potentially challenge AA next year. I only say not this year because there are other priorities.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Apr 17, 2023 at 5:31 AM ]
This man is working so hard this offseason. Finally no injuries. Coming into year 9 in the best shape of his career. I'm calling defensive mvp.
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
This man is working so hard this offseason. Finally no injuries. Coming into year 9 in the best shape of his career. I'm calling defensive mvp.

IF Arik is top form Arik we will easily be the #1 D in the league.

Bosa, Warner, Greenlaw, Hargrave, and Ward are better individual players but he could really dominate with the talent around him. With that said, I think he should finally earn a Pro Bowl berth.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jun 26, 2023 at 4:01 AM ]
Originally posted by illinois9er:

we were already the #1 D in the league last year and thats with Arik missing some time too.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

we were already the #1 D in the league last year and thats with Arik missing some time too.

That's part of the reason I said "easily". The only thing derailing our defense is injury imo.

That's part of the reason I said "easily". The only thing derailing our defense is injury imo.

Good point. Best keep AA away from his teammates as he tends to fall on them while running the wrong way.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Good point. Best keep AA away from his teammates as he tends to fall on them while running the wrong way.

Yeah he sucks so bad and injures his teammates. Weak take.
Share 49ersWebzone