LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
OK, keep looking at pff grades.

He does all of the dirty work and he is a problem for o-linemen to block. IOL aren't going to rack up sack totals due to tacking on the double teams. Without AA this defense would be nearly as good.

You can be a fan i get that..bosa was taken out of games later in the season....armstead and kinlaw werent getting the job done..hence we got hargraves

You are blaming Kinlaws woes on AA?

Just a reminder; Armstead & Buckner, along with Ford and Bosa got us to a super bowl.
Originally posted by evil:
Wirfs has had his success playing RT not LT though.

And we traded a 3 and a 5 for an all world LT in Trent Williams a day or two later.

Not just that but the 4th they got for the Wirfs pick was what they used to move up for Aiyuk.

Getting Wirfs and Aiyuk was not likely.

If we are doing a redraft go Jefferson and Trevon Diggs.
  • dmax
  • Veteran

Just a reminder; Armstead & Buckner, along with Ford and Bosa got us to a super bowl.

right..armsteads 1 good year statwise

right..armsteads 1 good year statwise

He's got a Buckner type next to him once again.
  • dmax
  • Veteran

we'll see what he does this year

this.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

this.

With help he'll probably go from top 3 player on this D to number 1.
  • dj43
In the face of some NT negativity, the fact that many national writers are putting Bosa, Hargrove, and Armstead on the same level is worth noting. It appears those writers are giving him credit for all the dirty work he is doing that doesn't show up in the box scores.
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

this.

With help he'll probably go from top 3 player on this D to number 1.
Lol. K. LMK when he learns to get off the snap or block a pass.
Anyone else get the sense he is going back to being an early down DE?

I think it would be the best DL.
Bosa-DT(givens?)-Hargrave-AA
Then passing situations move AA in and put jackson at DE.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 14, 2023 at 6:09 PM ]

Originally posted by jdt84_2:

Absolutely not. Why on earth would a rotational guy start?

I wish they moved AA inside in 2020 next to Jones. Would've been no need for the Kinlaw pick.
Originally posted by dj43:
In the face of some NT negativity, the fact that many national writers are putting Bosa, Hargrove, and Armstead on the same level is worth noting. It appears those writers are giving him credit for all the dirty work he is doing that doesn't show up in the box scores.

THIS
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

I wish they moved AA inside in 2020 next to Jones. Would've been no need for the Kinlaw pick.

Starting doesn't matter on our D.

Yeah AA should never play on the outside again. It was obvious he was playing out of position. It was like when the Chiefs tried to move C Jones outside and that lasted like 5 games and they moved him back inside. You have to have a certain body type and speed to play the edge.
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Yeah AA should never play on the outside again. It was obvious he was playing out of position. It was like when the Chiefs tried to move C Jones outside and that lasted like 5 games and they moved him back inside. You have to have a certain body type and speed to play the edge.

I partially disagree. Defensive Tackle is a better full-time position for AA, but playing at defensive end in run downs is nice because he can set the edge well and still rush the passer if they choose to throw. If we still had D.J. Jones, and Kinlaw's development wasn't stunted by injuries... I would've loved to have AA on early downs, and then slide him inside in pass-rushing situations. But because we needed more run-stopping presence inside, it forced us to have AA play inside almost exclusively and our run defense stabilized once he made the change.

Another thing is that AA's versatility to play inside and out also helps Bosa, because it allows Bosa to move around the formation when he sees a pass-rushing matchup he likes.
Share 49ersWebzone