LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle said he sees LT and RT as the same and pointed to guys like Von Miller as an example of the type of edge rushing from the right side. Until I hear him say he plans to move McGlinchey to LT in the future, I'm not going to assume anything.

Not to mention I thought McGlinchey looked much better from the right side at Notre Dame than on the left. People really soured on him when he was at left tackle.

People for some reason forget that. Dude was a much better RT at ND.

Skule blows as a pass-protector, but is pretty solid in run-blocking. Kyle is gonna run the snot out of the ball. Play-action will help along with Kyle's play-calling and TE/juice helping on the left side.

Agreed.

we don't want to become to one dimensional .... there has to be a semi quality left tackle languishing on some teams bench..... come on j lynch ... get to work .... big v in philly, hell I'd throw a third for him. Skule is gonna get Skule drug by Garrett and maybe by Watt. we have to shore this position up.
[ Edited by swaccmac1 on Sep 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM ]
Still think they should throw a 5th for Big V in philly.

It can't hurt at all. Winning organization and coaching, young, cheap, with starting experience and playoff experience and in a similar system.
Hypothetical is what you make it. Just like with Wishnowsky, Pettis, Foster and a whole host of others. If they want it, they make it happen. And yes, he'd start at G and be the 4th T after Coleman while Person or

Tomlinson because excellent depth inside. There's a million combinations to get better...IF you make it a priority.

And you and Hero are right; a Shanahan has always tried to get by with average G's and really good T and C play so while we ALL hope they address it with real capital next year, that's not likely. And that will continue to be a failed philosophy in this era and esp. in this division.

No, it's hypothetical actually but whatever there.

You keep on dogging on LT and Person yet we have given up the least about of QB hits in the NFL after two weeks...they've played well against two damn good IDL groups.

It's pretty clear Kyle likes vets on the OL or guys that have played in pro-style offenses in college (like McG). Kyle's offense is based around the run game, that's where it all starts. See Brown gone and McG in, see them going after Skule who is a good run-blocker but lacks in PP.

Better QB play, better skilled positions, play-calling, using play-action, and getting the ball out fast improves PP. It's was all there for you to see last week. We will be okay dude.
Originally posted by swaccmac1:
we don't want to become to one dimensional .... there has to be a semi quality left tackle languishing on some teams bench..... come on j lynch ... get to work .... big v in philly, hell I'd throw a third for him. Skule is gonna get Skule drug by Garrett and maybe by Watt. we have to shore this position up.

It's not gonna be one dimensional, it's still gonna be how kyle likes to run his offense. He's run the ball everywhere he's called plays.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Hypothetical is what you make it. Just like with Wishnowsky, Pettis, Foster and a whole host of others. If they want it, they make it happen. And yes, he'd start at G and be the 4th T after Coleman while Person or

Tomlinson because excellent depth inside. There's a million combinations to get better...IF you make it a priority.

And you and Hero are right; a Shanahan has always tried to get by with average G's and really good T and C play so while we ALL hope they address it with real capital next year, that's not likely. And that will continue to be a failed philosophy in this era and esp. in this division.

Philosophy seemed fine in 2016, SB trip and one of the leagues Goat offenses.
Originally posted by swaccmac1:

It's not gonna be one dimensional, it's still gonna be how kyle likes to run his offense. He's run the ball everywhere he's called plays.

hope you're right ny .... I just have nightmares about what I saw last night.... any way, I think they'll look around the league and see what the options are ... if not we'll just hope for the best
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by genus49:
I don't see that from what Kyle has said.

I think there is a big difference in moving guys around mid season, especially when these days there are plenty of high end pass rushers going on the right side as well.

We'll see what happens but I think the plan for the left side post Joe is still McGlinchey but that will happen with plenty of time for Mike to get ready for the switch and building his chemistry with whoever is playing LG at that point.

Kyle said he sees LT and RT as the same and pointed to guys like Von Miller as an example of the type of edge rushing from the right side. Until I hear him say he plans to move McGlinchey to LT in the future, I'm not going to assume anything.

Not to mention I thought McGlinchey looked much better from the right side at Notre Dame than on the left. People really soured on him when he was at left tackle.

Wasn't saying he's definitely moving, just saying because we're not moving him now doesn't mean it's never going to happen.

End of the day you still want to protect your QBs blind side despite the pass rushers playing on the right so if they feel once Joe is gone that Mike is the best OT on the team he'll move to the left side. Perfect world we find someone who can replace Joe so we don't have to move Mike to the left but hard to pay two top OTs elite money.
No, it's hypothetical actually but whatever there.

You keep on dogging on LT and Person yet we have given up the least about of QB hits in the NFL after two weeks...they've played well against two damn good IDL groups.

It's pretty clear Kyle likes vets on the OL or guys that have played in pro-style offenses in college (like McG). Kyle's offense is based around the run game, that's where it all starts. See Brown gone and McG in, see them going after Skule who is a good run-blocker but lacks in PP.

Better QB play, better skilled positions, play-calling, using play-action, and getting the ball out fast improves PP. It's was all there for you to see last week. We will be okay dude.

LOL. I guess so.

Let's calm down a tad. It's been 2 games to start the season and they played exceptional last game. Very good in pass protection, nothing in the run game in week 1. Now Kyle has to once again, work around the OL. He's the man and if anyone can do it, he can but it doesn't dismiss the fact that after 3 years, he shouldn't have too. You guys ask for solutions, we give them. Then you shoot down the hypotheticals and move on to supporting the inactivity.

We forewarn you this was inevitable. It happens, you move on to the theme there was nothing they could do.

At this point, what WOULD have to happen for you to say, "Ya know, maybe the FO didn't quite do enough here over the last 3 years."

My guess is that there is no combination of circumstances that would ever lead you and the same 3 or so others to that conclusion...at least not openly in here.

If it hasn't happened yet with only 3 backups to start the year and those 3 are Garland, Brunskill and Skule, it'll never happen.

PS: Looks like Risner is moving out to T now.

https://mavensports.io/broncos/news/fangio-on-broncos-switching-dalton-risner-to-offensive-tackle-that-could-be-a-possible-move-hnSQCN---U-pOOXlZQBjVA/
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by evil:
Philosophy seemed fine in 2016, SB trip and one of the leagues Goat offenses.

That line was terrific that year and the real reason they lost is because their C played on a busted leg of which Bellicheat exploited in the second half.

Look how much better our offense was with Richburg playing great this week compared to the previous week. Night and day. This is why you need to keep stocking the OL like the defense. McGlinchey and Richburg-type moves (year 2). Like ER, draft the best (Bosa), buy the best (Ford).
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'd feel better having a veteran like YOUNG instead of Skule starting.

I actually think I'd like to see if our 6th round pick is worth anything. If not, toss him and get someone else. The only way to find that out is to play him in a regular season game. The faster we find out if he sucks or not, the better you can make future decisions - such as drafting another OLine in the 2020 draft or standing pat and moving the draft capital to other areas of the team.

Skule struggled big time during the pre-season, and as much as I like the idea of we finding another gem in him, I would not JUST start him.. ESPECIALLY at the left tackle position.. I'd rather see the guy get some playing time here and there.. or even have him in the FG/PUNT team to get some bruises, but LT is THE most important position on the line especially this early of the season.

Jimmy's injury is not back 100% yet and the last thing we need is having him worry about the RUSHERS our ROOKIE is trying to handle.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
We wasted a 2nd on Pettis lol

I'm still hopeful he pans out. He has some shifty moves and I think the medical staff had some input as to keeping Pettis out of practice. The current medical staff seems ultra conservative.

As for the injury to Staley, the fact that he's 35 and that he got a fractured tibia (non-weight bearing bone) is a little bit of an indication that it's nearing the time for Staley to hang them up. I bet if he was younger, that bone would not have fractured. Usually players near the end of their careers start suffering assorted minor injuries, (this one is major). I think ShanaLynch will take advantage of the draft nerds predictions that next year's OLine draft class is one of the strongest. I'm hoping ShanaLynch takes advantage of that.
^^^you meant fibula.

As for being older and more likely to get a fx, Ncommand slowed down the film and found the frame where the injury occurred. Basically, anybody problably gets a fx there under that circumstance. It was about mid fibula and due to the contact involved, a hairline fx is a blessing. Coulda been a lot worse.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'd feel better having a veteran like YOUNG instead of Skule starting.

I actually think I'd like to see if our 6th round pick is worth anything. If not, toss him and get someone else. The only way to find that out is to play him in a regular season game. The faster we find out if he sucks or not, the better you can make future decisions - such as drafting another OLine in the 2020 draft or standing pat and moving the draft capital to other areas of the team.

Skule struggled big time during the pre-season, and as much as I like the idea of we finding another gem in him, I would not JUST start him.. ESPECIALLY at the left tackle position.. I'd rather see the guy get some playing time here and there.. or even have him in the FG/PUNT team to get some bruises, but LT is THE most important position on the line especially this early of the season.

Jimmy's injury is not back 100% yet and the last thing we need is having him worry about the RUSHERS our ROOKIE is trying to handle.

Disagree that Skule sucked in pre-season. But lets assume you are correct. When are you going to play him? He's the best of the reserve OLinemen that we have (so says Kyle). If you *don't* play him - you play somebody worse than him that's on the squad. If you trade for a all pro Left Tackle now, it would still be a couple of games to get that all-pro up to speed in Kyles system, even if he did play in Kyle's system previously, because Kyle probably has changed a bunch of things on his offense even from a year ago. I think you play Skule, give him some help, let the chips fall where they may - and assess on Monday what they need to do regarding the LT position. If the Steelers stunt or blitz against Skule, believe me, Kyle will make them pay by taking advantage of those defensive schemes.
Now would be a good time to trade one of our D-Lineman for a quality backup LT.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Now would be a good time to trade one of our D-Lineman for a quality backup LT.

I'd hate to do it, but it might be necessary.
Share 49ersWebzone