There are 218 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Risner, hands down. AND Deebo. The WR run hadn't even started so moving up like we did for Pettis was a strong likelihood and if not, it was a very deep draft for Kyle-type WR's in the 3rd. Risner also gives you 1,100 snaps a year compared to Deebo (600+) and he can play T...forward thinking. And this is just one example in 3 years and not including FA or later round developmental picks from year 1 or 2 who should be ready by now.

So Risner plays guard for us and we have no LT still? That was the issue with Risner during the draft...can he play tackle at the next level.

Also that's a straight up hypothetical with being able to get Risner and Deebo.
Instead of wasting a 3rd to get Pettis in 2018 we could have used that 3rd to get a capable swing tackle to develop. I forgot who was out there in the 3rd, but i know there was some tackles still on the board smh. They would have had a year of nfl experience in this offense under their belt. Lets hope skule pulls through hopefully we dont have hella penalties. Dont hold skule!

We wasted a 2nd on Pettis lol
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
90% of the Zone use to always say "just a matter of time till Trent Brown moves to the left side" too lol

lol, people guaranteed me "Trent Brown is going nowhere!!!".
Originally posted by Waterbear:
MM would be LT Risner would be RT. It would surely be a better situation than we have now. Considering Pettis is getting nearly no looks at all and my boy Hurd has yet to take a snap.

And yes... from everything I saw and I know you saw... he would do just fine at tackle in the NFL.

McG isn't moving from RT.

Sure hindsight we're down to our 4th tackle. I liked Risner he's currently not playing tackle either...and I like me some Deebo
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
We wasted a 2nd on Pettis lol

He's referring to the trade up.
Instead of wasting a 3rd to get Pettis in 2018 we could have used that 3rd to get a capable swing tackle to develop. I forgot who was out there in the 3rd, but i know there was some tackles still on the board smh. They would have had a year of nfl experience in this offense under their belt. Lets hope skule pulls through hopefully we dont have hella penalties. Dont hold skule!

Is what it is with Pettis. s**t happens to every team. Woulda shoulda.

They did have a good young swing tackle they were developing in Coleman.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle said he sees LT and RT as the same and pointed to guys like Von Miller as an example of the type of edge rushing from the right side. Until I hear him say he plans to move McGlinchey to LT in the future, I'm not going to assume anything.

Not to mention I thought McGlinchey looked much better from the right side at Notre Dame than on the left. People really soured on him when he was at left tackle.

People for some reason forget that. Dude was a much better RT at ND.

Skule blows as a pass-protector, but is pretty solid in run-blocking. Kyle is gonna run the snot out of the ball. Play-action will help along with Kyle's play-calling and TE/juice helping on the left side.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
They did. We were the 3rd worst run defense in NFL history........

How many of us, after last year, thought we should invest in OT before ER????? I mean, really....

The big imbalance in investment is only from this last off-season when we added Ford and Bosa. Because edge rusher is by far our weakest link.

This is my problem, we're talking in hindsight of losing your 1st and 2nd string tackles.

Unless you're Dorsey, you can't fix all the weakest spots each off-season.(note a bit of sarcasm there because the Browns didn't look real great last night outside OBJ and Garrett).

When they came in our defensive front was, and this isn't even close, the weakest link. We gave up like 14, 100 yard rushers on the year. That's insane. It was the worst yards per game in decades. They invested 2, 1st round picks in the defensive front because it was awful. Like, not even close, it was awful.

The next year they invested a 1st in an OT. Last year we had zero edge rush. zero. nothing. nada. zip. zilch.

There was no guarantee that Bosa was gonna be there at 2 and they had a chance to go get Ford, so they did. Bosa was there, you don't pass that kind of guy up for a tackle in a weak tackle class when you have 2 starters already. Really, it was a tackle or Deebo. Which do you guys want?

This is directed to you, NC, who would you have taken that you would've wanted instead of Deebo?

Jonny, what you didn't mention is that when the selected McGlinchey, they also traded Trent Brown. Also, Shanahan selected Kentavious Street who won't play in either year since he was selected. Right now the Niners' DL has eight or so good to great players. The OL has no more than five.

That's not really much of an argument. Kyle obviously didn't see Brown as a long term answer, and there comes a point in the draft where whoever is left, isn't much better than those that will go undrafted. Kyle is an offensive genius that can score points on scheme alone. I'm more worried about talent on defense than on offense.

Offensive linemen aren't rotated during a game like defensive linemen. That's why you have more dline
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Is what it is with Pettis. s**t happens to every team. Woulda shoulda.

They did have a good young swing tackle they were developing in Coleman.

yes. in looking back and seeing how pettis is dropping off the depth chart. that may have seemed the wise thing to do. i to was not totally thrilled with getting pettis and am not even less thrilled with the way he is turning out.. but 85 has a good point. at the time the team had coleman whom they thought highly of. i recall AFTER the draft in april of 1979, the st louis cardinals thought they were set at tight end with jv cain who just dropped dead two days after the draft, this was pre free agency , sadly. . i remember how the cards got ripped during the regular season cuz they had no decent tight ends. well. who could have predicted jv was going to die. poor example i guess and i am no fan of pettis or the pick. but 85 brings up a good point. that was my point
Still think they should throw a 5th for Big V in philly.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
MM would be LT Risner would be RT. It would surely be a better situation than we have now. Considering Pettis is getting nearly no looks at all and my boy Hurd has yet to take a snap.

And yes... from everything I saw and I know you saw... he would do just fine at tackle in the NFL.

McG isn't moving from RT.

Sure hindsight we're down to our 4th tackle. I liked Risner he's currently not playing tackle either...and I like me some Deebo

Yeah but like... Hindsight is my middle name

WIll never happen, the way Philly gets banged up on the line, V plays about half the year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Risner, hands down. AND Deebo. The WR run hadn't even started so moving up like we did for Pettis was a strong likelihood and if not, it was a very deep draft for Kyle-type WR's in the 3rd. Risner also gives you 1,100 snaps a year compared to Deebo (600+) and he can play T...forward thinking. And this is just one example in 3 years and not including FA or later round developmental picks from year 1 or 2 who should be ready by now.

So Risner plays guard for us and we have no LT still? That was the issue with Risner during the draft...can he play tackle at the next level.

Also that's a straight up hypothetical with being able to get Risner and Deebo.

Hypothetical is what you make it. Just like with Wishnowsky, Pettis, Foster and a whole host of others. If they want it, they make it happen. And yes, he'd start at G and be the 4th T after Coleman while Person or

Tomlinson because excellent depth inside. There's a million combinations to get better...IF you make it a priority.

And you and Hero are right; a Shanahan has always tried to get by with average G's and really good T and C play so while we ALL hope they address it with real capital next year, that's not likely. And that will continue to be a failed philosophy in this era and esp. in this division.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Usually, develop the OL first. An OL contains the largest squad on the field so they take the longest to gel. Their ability to work together is probably the most critical of the position groups. Once in place, OL play for more years than other players in other positions. Start with the OL.

Russel Wison?
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle said he sees LT and RT as the same and pointed to guys like Von Miller as an example of the type of edge rushing from the right side. Until I hear him say he plans to move McGlinchey to LT in the future, I'm not going to assume anything.

Not to mention I thought McGlinchey looked much better from the right side at Notre Dame than on the left. People really soured on him when he was at left tackle.

People for some reason forget that. Dude was a much better RT at ND.

Skule blows as a pass-protector, but is pretty solid in run-blocking. Kyle is gonna run the snot out of the ball. Play-action will help along with Kyle's play-calling and TE/juice helping on the left side.

Agreed.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

WIll never happen, the way Philly gets banged up on the line, V plays about half the year.

He's a FA end of the yr...Howie loves him some draft capital. Dillard can play tackle and is the future there. I don't see them resigning Big V and if he actually doesn't play much this yr they don't get much if anything in regards to a comp pick.

They got Pryor who can play all over that OL and Jordan Mailata is very intriguing as well.

I'd throw them a 5th and possibly a DL, they have nothing on the DL right now.
Share 49ersWebzone