There are 149 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Much will be up to how the new coaches evaluate the current players. They released J Martin and picked up Pears, a veteran who can backup most spots on the line. Boone is a very good backup at either tackle and they have four guys who can play center adequately. So if either Thomas or M Martin can replace Iupati and the other is a backup, they may be set. That would allow them to take a later round, developmental lineman.

But if they take someone like Scherff early it will lock down the interior spots for years to come. Then next year they could go after a replacement at backup tackle to replace Boone if they let him leave.

Maybe I am mistaken but I don't think the 49ers have any say if Boone wants to leave. Didn't they made an agreement that they could not tag him during his hold out last year?

I'd like to see the 49ers fortify the Oline depth with a mid round rookie. I also don't want them to rule out OT in the 1st, even though the rookie could ride pine. If there's a good prospect that slips to #15, I wouldn't be upset.

The loser of the interior Oline battle will be a solid backup. I have Kilgore penciled in as C. So between BThomas, Martin, and Boone, someone is a backup. This puts Looney in a bad position since he is purely an interior guy. I'm not as high on Looney as others here, but he's young so I'll keep an open mind coming into this season. Pears will be the swing tackle. This leaves room for a development Tackle prospect, or if it's a high round pick that was good value, this rookie can push Pears for first sub at OT.

The whole reason I am open to a high pick for tackle is that I am scared Staley's down year was not an anomaly. I hope he rebounds, but if last season was a sign of things to come, then it's best to be prepared with a good prospect waiting in the wings. A down year for Staley is still good, but let's strive for excellence at the LT spot and be ready in case Staley declines upon his 2014 performance. I know it's very boring to pick OL in the first, but I do not want to relive the days when JMart was the first OT off the bench, or when Snyder was the first OG off the bench.

So I'm happy with a good value pick at #15 for OT. But I'd really prefer for an OL pick in the middle rounds if the situation on draft day presents itself.
I wouldn't be mad either if the best LT slips to #15 and we draft him. It's always better to have a contingency plan in place.

It's like Walsh said, "it's better to cut someone a year early, rather than a year late"
Much will be up to how the new coaches evaluate the current players. They released J Martin and picked up Pears, a veteran who can backup most spots on the line. Boone is a very good backup at either tackle and they have four guys who can play center adequately. So if either Thomas or M Martin can replace Iupati and the other is a backup, they may be set. That would allow them to take a later round, developmental lineman.

But if they take someone like Scherff early it will lock down the interior spots for years to come. Then next year they could go after a replacement at backup tackle to replace Boone if they let him leave.

Maybe I am mistaken but I don't think the 49ers have any say if Boone wants to leave. Didn't they made an agreement that they could not tag him during his hold out last year?

I'd like to see the 49ers fortify the Oline depth with a mid round rookie. I also don't want them to rule out OT in the 1st, even though the rookie could ride pine. If there's a good prospect that slips to #15, I wouldn't be upset.

The loser of the interior Oline battle will be a solid backup. I have Kilgore penciled in as C. So between BThomas, Martin, and Boone, someone is a backup. This puts Looney in a bad position since he is purely an interior guy. I'm not as high on Looney as others here, but he's young so I'll keep an open mind coming into this season. Pears will be the swing tackle. This leaves room for a development Tackle prospect, or if it's a high round pick that was good value, this rookie can push Pears for first sub at OT.

The whole reason I am open to a high pick for tackle is that I am scared Staley's down year was not an anomaly. I hope he rebounds, but if last season was a sign of things to come, then it's best to be prepared with a good prospect waiting in the wings. A down year for Staley is still good, but let's strive for excellence at the LT spot and be ready in case Staley declines upon his 2014 performance. I know it's very boring to pick OL in the first, but I do not want to relive the days when JMart was the first OT off the bench, or when Snyder was the first OG off the bench.

So I'm happy with a good value pick at #15 for OT. But I'd really prefer for an OL pick in the middle rounds if the situation on draft day presents itself.

Kezar--they can always extend Boone with mutual agreement and I hope they let him go after next year.

THL--agree it would be fine if they take a tackle in the first or second. If they plan to move on from Boone then Davis is their only young, longterm, quality tackle. Pears can evidently play anywhere on the line so he may win a spot over Looney...but, as you mention, Looney is young and if he comes to camp in shape and ready to learn he may surprise us all...could be ready to compete with Thomas and Martin for LG.

But I think they could find a good zone blocking tackle in the midrounds...meaning 3rd-5th...especially as they have a year or two to develop a guy. Guys like Cedric Ogbuehi and Donovan Smith might be a good fit...good feet, tenacious. The writeups on both seem to peg the negatives on hand placement and handchecking skills...which should be coachable...foot speed can't be coached.

I honestly think Staley struggled, at least in part, because he was trying to help Iupati too much. Big Mike was never great at pass pro, but he was a gong show last year.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I honestly think Staley struggled, at least in part, because he was trying to help Iupati too much. Big Mike was never great at pass pro, but he was a gong show last year.

Agree!
  • thl408

Very possible. It could be just general wear and tear after multiple seasons of playing at a high level, through extended playoff runs. Looking for a bounce back year from Staley to get back to All-Pro form. He's 30 and I consider that an age, for OL, where experience starts to really play a role. Where veteran savvy more than makes up for any slight decline in physical ability. How to hold without holding. Familiarity with all the RDEs in the league.

If there's a blue chipper that slips to #15, get him. Otherwise get a mid-round, raw developmental prospect to consider as a 2-3 year project. I admit, I may be a year early with my desire to get this developmental prospect onto the team. If Staley ages well, he'll be good for another 3-4 years. Anyway, I hope Baalke doesn't rule out OL just because he took two good prospects last draft.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I hope Baalke doesn't rule out OL just because he took two good prospects last draft.

+ 1

Agree!

Same here.

Yes the Niners did, he plays well on both pass and run

Very possible. It could be just general wear and tear after multiple seasons of playing at a high level, through extended playoff runs. Looking for a bounce back year from Staley to get back to All-Pro form. He's 30 and I consider that an age, for OL, where experience starts to really play a role. Where veteran savvy more than makes up for any slight decline in physical ability. How to hold without holding. Familiarity with all the RDEs in the league.

If there's a blue chipper that slips to #15, get him. Otherwise get a mid-round, raw developmental prospect to consider as a 2-3 year project. I admit, I may be a year early with my desire to get this developmental prospect onto the team. If Staley ages well, he'll be good for another 3-4 years. Anyway, I hope Baalke doesn't rule out OL just because he took two good prospects last draft.

Yes, agreed. I want to see both lines nailed down, with good depth.
Wouldn't think too highly of looney. Wasn't he the player that one of our coaches straight out said did very poorly? I think so. When iupati was out he filled in and did horrible. I'd say m Martin may be a better guard but looney can be our 4th (or 5th is pears performs better than him and is already the swing tackle) on the guard depth chart assuming Boone and Thomas start and m Martin is the top backup at both center and both guard spots. Thomas may also be a good swing tackle with pears.

We have good depth at guard and tackle and center so I think we won't need or want to draft more than 1 OL in the draft probably after the third round.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This x 1000

AND as of right now there isn't anyone on the team that can come in and play at a high level in both tackle positions if the need arises.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Boone started out the season as a poor guard and the last part of the season I believe he was a top 3 guard per PFF. He kicks ass as a guard and is a very good tackle

This x 1000

AND as of right now there isn't anyone on the team that can come in and play at a high level in both tackle positions if the need arises.

Boone was a pretty decent tackle and an ok guard before he lost his desire to excel after the b***h fest. He wants out of here and we won't pay him what others will. Better get something for him now or we get a comp pick down the line.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does want out of here, but has he actually said that? elguapo says PFF had him as a a top 3 OG, so he clearly got better over the course of the season . Yes, it sucks that he showed up in poor condition after his holdout.

The window of opportunity to make money in the NFL is pretty short.

I trust the FO to know Boone's outlook at this point and will take the appropriate course of action. If Boone firmly believes he's a starting OT in the NFL, he wants bigger $$$. If the FO doesn't think so, they're not going to do that and I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade - maybe during the Draft to make a move?

I happen to like Boone and hope something can be worked out to make everybody happy.
[ Edited by socal9er42 on Apr 18, 2015 at 5:24 AM ]
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I wouldn't be surprised if he does want out of here, but has he actually said that? elguapo says PFF had him as a a top 3 OG, so he clearly got better over the course of the season . Yes, it sucks that he showed up in poor condition after his holdout.

The window of opportunity to make money in the NFL is pretty short.

I trust the FO to know Boone's outlook at this point and will take the appropriate course of action. If Boone firmly believes he's a starting OT in the NFL, he wants bigger $$$. If the FO doesn't think so, they're not going to do that and I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade - maybe during the Draft to make a move?

I happen to like Boone and hope something can be worked out to make everybody happy.

Boones agents are sharks! There is absolutely no way we get anything reasonable done with him. Let his a$$ walk! Trade him now or collect on comp once he walks. This is his farewell tour IMO!
Originally posted by elguapo:
Wouldn't think too highly of looney. Wasn't he the player that one of our coaches straight out said did very poorly? I think so. When iupati was out he filled in and did horrible. I'd say m Martin may be a better guard but looney can be our 4th (or 5th is pears performs better than him and is already the swing tackle) on the guard depth chart assuming Boone and Thomas start and m Martin is the top backup at both center and both guard spots. Thomas may also be a good swing tackle with pears.

We have good depth at guard and tackle and center so I think we won't need or want to draft more than 1 OL in the draft probably after the third round.

He hasn't come close to winning a starting spot but OL often develop slowly...I always hope this is the case until they are cut!
Man, i look at this OL, and have no idea what or who i going to show up. But I do know this: it will be much better coached than last yr, and will be a way better O.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Man, i look at this OL, and have no idea what or who i going to show up. But I do know this: it will be much better coached than last yr, and will be a way better O.

I think Farrel will surprise some people, I think he makes the team again.
Share 49ersWebzone