There are 162 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The draft next year? LOL

What agenda is that?

Right? that's a weird statement for him to make lol...if there was one guy in here that wanted to blow all the cap space on OL it's been you for yrs haha.

SF has had a dog s**t roster top to bottom for yrs, they had to spread that cash around to help fill the roster with some talent. Also when you get failed top end picks like Foster (had to pay Kwon) those are problems they don't necessarily allow you to throw cash at a position like IOL.

LOL. Next year man, next year.

Man, great point about Foster. I don't know if anyone's broken that down in picks and cap but Foster probably cost us far more than people realize esp. on cap space.
Originally posted by Samerson449:
Yup we're making playoffs this year. Jimmy g is gonna ball. We finally have a good defense. Coleman and Brieda are gonna tear it up. Kittle is gonna have another monster year. Too bad in your eyes the season is over because of our "terrible" o line with 2 stud tackles and a good center

While I don't think our starters are as bad as some keep saying, there's room for improvement at guard. Paying big money for an OG isn't gonna magically make everything better though.

They should have spent some sort of quality pick on IOL to develop and haven't
Is everyone here really talking about salary cap issues? WE HAVE THE BEST SALARY CAP GUY IN THE NFL AND HIS NAME IS PARAAGE MARATHE!!! DONT WORRY ABOUT CAP. WE HAVE NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH SALARY CAP SINCE MARATHE HAS BEEN HERE. the offensive line is fine. Too many negative people here trying to fit their agenda. This is a good team that will take the next step and be in playoff contention this season.

We have never had salary cap issues BECAUSE we've never had top end talent to PAY and WE NEVER have gone after big FAs until recently....HENCE why we don't have jack s**t for cap space in 2020. They've finally spent some of that cash.

This is totally ridiculous. We will have plenty of cap room to roll over next year and I even if we didn't we have marathe who will figure out ways to stay under the cap and keep our players. Making a huge deal over nothing. But I guess that's what fits your agenda
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Is everyone here really talking about salary cap issues? WE HAVE THE BEST SALARY CAP GUY IN THE NFL AND HIS NAME IS PARAAGE MARATHE!!! DONT WORRY ABOUT CAP. WE HAVE NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH SALARY CAP SINCE MARATHE HAS BEEN HERE. the offensive line is fine. Too many negative people here trying to fit their agenda. This is a good team that will take the next step and be in playoff contention this season.

We have never had salary cap issues BECAUSE we've never had top end talent to PAY and WE NEVER have gone after big FAs until recently....HENCE why we don't have jack s**t for cap space in 2020. They've finally spent some of that cash.

This is totally ridiculous. We will have plenty of cap room to roll over next year and I even if we didn't we have marathe who will figure out ways to stay under the cap and keep our players. Making a huge deal over nothing. But I guess that's what fits your agenda

with all that being said.. the real question really is..

DO YOU RATHER HAVE ALL THE CAP SPACE AND CONTINUE TO BE WISE BUT NEVER REACH THE SUPER BOWL??

or

WOULD YOU RATHER USE ALL THE $$$ AND NOT HAVE LOTS OF SPACE ON SALARY BUT GET TO THE SUPER BOWL??
Yup we're making playoffs this year. Jimmy g is gonna ball. We finally have a good defense. Coleman and Brieda are gonna tear it up. Kittle is gonna have another monster year. Too bad in your eyes the season is over because of our "terrible" o line with 2 stud tackles and a good center

Like Staley said right before the Denver game, let's go boys...it all starts up front! When the front can't hold, we saw what happened to Jimmy. It's a legit concern esp. regarding the number of body blows our QB's have taken to date and coupled with Kyle's 5-7 step intermediate range and play action offense.

I love your positivity and energy.

Maybe the 5 will stay healthy and totally ball out and the depth will all be moot. We make the playoffs.

But right now, from major media to fans, they ALL agree our OL, IOL in particular, is a major weakness and exasperated by the fact that our FQB is coming back from an ACL and clearly didn't look comfortable in his first outing facing the starters at game speed.

What exactly is my agenda lol? You can't just say that and not explain what it is I'm trying to do...stop being silly.

What is ridiculous is you apparently not understanding how the cap works...currently ALL we have for cap space in 2020 is whatever we roll over. They have f**king nothing as far as cap space goes in 2020 right now. They're in the red.

Please explain to me what they will realistically do to create this massive amount of cap space next yr??? Who's getting cut? Who's gonna restructure? Pretty sure we all want Buck and Kittle to get extensions, guess what buzzy that cost money.

Now, I never said they won't have money to work with BUT people proclaiming they're gonna have top 5 cap space like in he past aren't looking at the numbers logically right now. Paraag is good, but to get all that space that means some of our good talent f**ked up this upcoming yr. I don't want that and I'm sure you don't either.

SF actually has players and they're being paid, they actually have guys that we all want extended...Two of them might be close to or the highest paid player at their position. That's a positive.

Going after top tier FAs next yr might not be in the cards and fans need to realize that.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM ]

What exactly is my agenda lol? You can't just say that and not explain what it is I'm trying to do...stop being silly.

What is ridiculous is you apparently not understanding how the cap works...currently ALL we have for cap space in 2020 is whatever we roll over. They have f**king nothing as far as cap space goes in 2020 right now. They're in the red.

Please explain to me what they will realistically do to create this massive amount of cap space next yr??? Who's getting cut? Who's gonna restructure? Pretty sure we all want Buck and Kittle to get extensions, guess what buzzy that cost money.

Now, I never said they won't have money to work with BUT people proclaiming they're gonna have top 5 cap space like in he past aren't looking at the numbers logically right now. Paraag is good, but to get all that space that means some of our good talent f**ked up this upcoming yr. I don't want that and I'm sure you don't either.

SF actually has players and they're being paid, they actually have guys that we all want extended...Two of them might be close to or the highest paid player at their position. That's a positive.

Going after top tier FAs next yr might not be in the cards and fans need to realize that.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/6/16/18680790/49ers-salary-cap-2020-examination-john-lynch-kyle-shanahan
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Man, it is sad when we have to talk about contracts / numbers instead of the actual play of these dudes. It's only preseason

Backups >>> starters
Sure hope this offensive line gels quickly & gives Jimmy G time to throw & Coleman & the other backs room to run
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/6/16/18680790/49ers-salary-cap-2020-examination-john-lynch-kyle-shanahan

Dude, I already brought up that article and I respect AB...that literally doesn't show how their gonna get an extra $25-$30M in salary cap relief though. Jimmy G would have to blow this upcoming yr to get that kind of cash AND they'd be out a starting QB, at that point who cares if they have a bunch of cap space? Great they suck BUT we have a bunch of money...again.

I'll ask again what is my agenda? I'm being realistic, if they play well this yr they're not gonna have a mountain of cash to burn... That's what happens when you have good players. I know is hard for 49er fans to understand this given how the team has been for 5 yrs.

Originally posted by LVJay:
Man, it is sad when we have to talk about contracts / numbers instead of the actual play of these dudes. It's only preseason

Backups >>> starters

People are throwing themselves over the edge because of a couple poor PP plays this preseason with backups all over the place.

When this happens fans talk about FA and bringing in top end talent at the IOL position. My whole pt is unlike the past couple yrs, we actually have money committed to players and don't have this absurd amount of cash to burn like in the past.

Sure we can make some moves like any other team to get a little more cap relief, but unless some of our top paid guy forget how to play football SF isn't gonna have top 5 cap space...which is fine.

Dude, I already brought up that article and I respect AB...that literally doesn't show how their gonna get an extra $25-$30M in salary cap relief though. Jimmy G would have to blow this upcoming yr to get that kind of cash AND they'd be out a starting QB, at that point who cares if they have a bunch of cap space? Great they suck BUT we have a bunch of money...again.

I'll ask again what is my agenda? I'm being realistic, if they play well this yr they're not gonna have a mountain of cash to burn... That's what happens when you have good players. I know is hard for 49er fans to understand this given how the team has been for 5 yrs.

This article says we can get nearly 40-50 million in cap space if we restructure some contracts.

This article says we can get nearly 40-50 million in cap space if we restructure some contracts.

I think the team is looking for competitive sustainability, not trying to sacrifice the future for the present.

But I will say this. It would be great if get can trade Armstead before the season starts. We have enough guys at the DL to play at a solid level. ST, Blair, Jones, Street, Taylor, Day. That would $9M to rollover for next season. However, I don't see why teams would want to trade for him at that salary at this point.
[ Edited by littleken on Aug 22, 2019 at 6:14 PM ]

Technically he wouldn't have to suck this season. If he does well they can extend him 2 years and save 18mil. This is from AB. I'm not smart enough to figure that out

No not really...it explains ways we can create some space not an extra $25-$30M. If you're cutting guys like Coleman/jet you gotta sign another RB that's not changing anything. You cut Tarrt you gotta sign another SS that's not changing anything either, plus those are relatively low cap hits for starters at those positions (minus Jet).

You might be able to add a couple more yrs/throw money into a signing bonus for JG BUT that's not gonna make an extra $20M in cap space, it's just not. IF they cut JG sure, but that means we have bigger issues and who gives a s**t if we have $50M in cap space with no QB.

As of today we have around $25M in cap space in 2020, that doesn't include if SF signs someone after cuts in a couple week and doesn't account for the rookie pool for 2020.

Everything else that article stats is just speculation and ideas.
Share 49ersWebzone