• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by littleken:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Samerson449:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't understand this fetish that our oline sucks by a lot of people here. Mcglinchey is a stud. Staley is a hall of famer. Tomlinson is decent. Richburg is good when healthy. So that's 4 positions where we are good at.

It's the Chicken Little crowd that's crying about it.

Of course, it is. Week 1 can't get here soon enough.

And then they use pff to prove their point when its a negative stat. But when it's a positive stat they say pff isn't an indicator of the player

I go by how many times my qb gets pounded on, which we lead the league in again, so to me it's pretty straight Fwd.

Can you please show me the stats that back this statement?

We actually finished 31st in QB hits allowed, Texans finished 32nd and led the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?conference=null&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=2&role=TM
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I thought the OL played decent on mnf. We averaged about 6 ypc. The starting OL had 1 missed assignment but beyond that I thought they held up

A side from Staley's whiff - the line played pretty good as the game went on.

That was mainly do to miscommunication between the LT and LG on a stunt as well.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Yeah, I may have misread his site, but it looks like a cap space of 25 in 2020 and a 2019 rollover of just about 25. With the other 2 sites, makes no sense to me how they could be in the red in 2020 with current cap space, rollover, cap increase and de-escalating contracts. Maybe no projections factored in, but even then I don't see how they could be in the red next year as is. Either way they wont be up against the cap. That said I also don't know s**t about this lol. Generally go by AB who's always been accurate.

Same. You're a wise man.

$50M would be my guesstimate too. I'm sure he'll let us know within 24 hours.

Per my man, AB. So for perspective, $24.7M is 6th most cap space today.

I have them at $24.71M in 2020 with carryover, they're over the cap next year, even with increase of $10M to around a $200M cap.

Also I expect the usual $25M to $30M in carryover.

So 50 pre cut, right? I expect 60+ after cuts. But why does he reference carryover twice? This is where it's fuzzy
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 22, 2019 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by evil:
I don't understand this fetish that our oline sucks by a lot of people here. Mcglinchey is a stud. Staley is a hall of famer. Tomlinson is decent. Richburg is good when healthy. So that's 4 positions where we are good at.

And then they use pff to prove their point when its a negative stat. But when it's a positive stat they say pff isn't an indicator of the player

I go by how many times my qb gets pounded on, which we lead the league in again, so to me it's pretty straight Fwd.

We actually finished 31st in QB hits allowed, Texans finished 32nd and led the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?conference=null&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=2&role=TM

While I don't think our OL is great in pass-pro, there's got to be context beyond "our QB getting pound on" in regards to PP.

Do we have mobile QBs? Do they have pocket awareness?
Did our WRs do a good job in separating last yr?
Did our QBs hold onto the ball too long?
How was the play calling?

I mean look at that list you provided. We can all agree Dallas/KC/Philly/GB has some of the top OLs in football (and quality QB play overall)

They allowed the 7th, 9th, 11th, 10th MOST QB hits in football last yr. Dak was the 2nd highest sacked QB last yr, so I guess the Dallas OL is junk?
Any news on Weston Richburg returning to practice soon? I read somewhere that are hoping he can start practicing in the next few days and even possibly play vs the Chargers in the last PS game
Per my man, AB. So for perspective, $24.7M is 6th most cap space today.

correct so all we will have next yr cap wise is around $25 million (you can only roll over what you have the yr prior).
That's without Buck/Kittle contracts (bucks won't affect the cap too much he's on the books with the 5th yr option already).

Unless they make some huge cuts and restructures, they won't have the usual top 5 cap space, more like 20th in the league.
Damn we need the interior to step up but I think Denver was probably some of the hardest pass rush in the league. Chubb and Miller are what we want Bosa and Ford to be.
So 50 pre cut, right? I expect 60+ after cuts. But why does he reference carryover twice? This is where it's fuzzy

Originally posted by NYniner85:
correct so all we will have next yr cap wise is around $25 million (you can only roll over what you have the yr prior).
That's without Buck/Kittle contracts (bucks won't affect the cap too much he's on the books with the 5th yr option already).

Unless they make some huge cuts and restructures, they won't have the usual top 5 cap space, more like 20th in the league.

That's where I'm confused. Usually his current space does not include the rollover or expected $10M increase. So I'm asking him.

The important take away is that we already have the 6th most cap space today. That's unlikely to change unless we have $0 rollover and everyone else has a ton. These do vary. Colts had some insane amount last year...like $50M alone with like $110M total cap space (guessing on those figures).

NY, you may be right as well. I'll try to get clarity soon.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM ]

Where is everyone getting $50+ million? Am I missing something here

They're in the red next yr (and that's with the supposed cap going to $200M) They have $200M+ on the books for 2020. They can carryover this yrs cap space of $26M, as far as I know that's all we have.

There will be some cuts that can help raise it a little, but unless we restructure or cut Jimmy G I'm not sure where everyone is getting all this cash lol.

IMO I'm guessing more in the 30s with cap space and that all depends on Buck/Kittle (more Kittle then Buck because he's already on the books for $14.3M).

I don't see SF bringing in a high priced lineman next yr, more likely is the draft.
That's where I'm confused. Usually his current space does not include the rollover or expected $10M increase. So I'm asking him.

The important take away is that we already have the 6th most cap space today. That's unlikely to change unless we have $0 rollover and everyone else has a ton. These do vary. Colts had some insane amount last year...like $50M alone with like $110M total cap space (guessing on those figures).

the expected cap raise is suppose to be $200M AB (in a past article) said we currently have over $200M on the books for 2020. I'm assuming we roll over everything (we usually do).

That leaves SF with around $25M (without cuts/restructures/extensions). I can't see any possible way SF is getting to the $50M+ cap space some of ya'll are talking about...unless we cut Jimmy G and Ford or something.

Gonna be a ton of teams with a butt load of cash to burn next yr, SF won't be one of the top ones...still have some cash to do something though.

There are a couple quality OGs that will be available..

Brandon Scherff
Andrus Peat
Cody Whitehair
Kyle Long
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 22, 2019 at 7:40 AM ]

Where is everyone getting $50+ million? Am I missing something here

They're in the red next yr (and that's with the supposed cap going to $200M) They have $200M+ on the books for 2020. They can carryover this yrs cap space of $26M, as far as I know that's all we have.

There will be some cuts that can help raise it a little, but unless we restructure or cut Jimmy G I'm not sure where everyone is getting all this cash lol.

IMO I'm guessing more in the 30s with cap space and that all depends on Buck/Kittle (more Kittle then Buck because he's already on the books for $14.3M).

I don't see SF bringing in a high priced lineman next yr, more likely is the draft.

I certainly agree we won't be going after any quality FA. It's going to be the draft for sure.

But yeah, even if $30M, that would still be top 5 for sure. But like you said, once they pay Buckner and Kittle plus the rookie pool of $12M, now you're getting down to the bottom 10 for sure before cuts and FA.
  • evil
  • Veteran

While I don't think our OL is great in pass-pro, there's got to be context beyond "our QB getting pound on" in regards to PP.

I mean look at that list you provided. We can all agree Dallas/KC/Philly/GB has some of the top OLs in football (and quality QB play overall)

They allowed the 7th, 9th, 11th, 10th MOST QB hits in football last yr. Dak was the 2nd highest sacked QB last yr, so I guess the Dallas OL is junk?

Texans gave up one hit more and 14 more sacks and had a much more mobile QB.

Seahawks would have given up way more hits and sacks if their QB was more conventional, Backyard Russ makes that line look a lot better than they are.

Context matters. Our OL is not otherworldly, it is going to need addressed, but OL talent or the lack thereof is a league wide problem as you amongst many of us here keep pointing out.

the expected cap raise is suppose to be $200M AB (in a past article) said we currently have over $200M on the books for 2020. I'm assuming we roll over everything (we usually do).

That leaves SF with around $25M (without cuts/restructures/extensions). I can't see any possible way SF is getting to the $50M+ cap space some of ya'll are talking about...unless we cut Jimmy G and Ford or something.

The snap shots on those figures are a bit deceiving which is why I go by his current projected cap space + rollover. Only the 51 count towards the cap.

Either way, $50M would be #1 in cap space and $30, #4.

Seahawks would have given up way more hits and sacks if their QB was more conventional, Backyard Russ makes that line look a lot better than they are.

Context matters. Our OL is not otherworldly, it is going to need addressed, but OL talent or the lack thereof is a league wide problem as you amongst many of us here keep pointing out.

We're definitely 3rd worst at PP . And we've got 3 different QB's all getting hammered at the exact same rate to prove it. It's the OL people. It's not that hard to admit, is it?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

It's not just NFL. College linemen have been sucking for years. I don't know why but unless you're a fan of one of maybe five teams... you're complaining about the o-line. Look at how many first round Oline disappointments littering the NFL right now...
Share 49ersWebzone