There are 295 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
For sure...it is a process. Only so many things can be a priority before nothing is. Hopefully we take a big step up this year and CB and interior O-line are just the finishing touches next offseason.

Sam Young seems like a plodder not at all the type of OL Shanahan uses in his system I agree he is training camp fodder until they find someone else or Skule shows he can be the swing tackle

I'm just going to let Bret speak for me on this issue from now on. LOL.

That's not enough to stop Aaron Donald or Bobby Wagner. Band-Aids, gauze, and surgical glue are no way to build a roster, especially the five men who control the fate of the skill positions.

None of these men give me any confidence if Joe Staley or Mike McGlinchey should succumb to a season-long injury.

Further complicating things is guard Joshua Garnett's dislocated finger and center Weston Richburg still listed on the physically unable to perform list.

I have noted time and again Shanahan's aversion to making real investments in the offensive line. Yes, the team drafted tackle Mike McGlinchey last year – but only because it had to.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2019 at 3:48 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well, the good news is Wesley Johnson did play really well at C and he's backing up Garland. I zeroed in on Ross Reynolds too. They have him at LG for some reason but he certainly has some tools for zone blocking and looked good too. Willie Beavers looks about 340 pounds but as a veteran, slid over to T from G in the pinch and did admirably. Everybody else looked...like 3rd string players.

Sounds reassuring

Didn't beavers look horrendous? Maybe he is a decent guard as a back up

Odd, i thot for awhile hat Wes Johnson did fairly well at C. And thot for a bit that Ross Reynolds looked decent also. Willie Beavers is out of shape but he also did well...if you can forget his 3 holding penalties(where he was beat from the gitgo). There was a time, maybe 5, maybe 10 minutes where those guys
(Minus the holds) did decently. Like GM and NC , i have been worried about this since FA, draft and especially post draft.

Maybe between these 3 guys there is some hope there...if just one (and it probably won't be Beavers) worked out i would be somewhere between thankful and relieved. Won't be a starter, but just to get a guy who could fill in for a short spell. Right now i'll Take anything that works....and face it....we are beggars....not choosers.

LOL Shanny turned us all into beggars by thinking the oline we walked into camp with was good enough

Well I guess the youngsters did ok against other back ups, our offense scored more than theirs...

We need at least one of them to step up and find help after team cuts. If we go into the regular season w/out solid depth, we won't go far.

If possibly needing a few backups makes us beggars...there are some teams out there straight up living in boxes.

Oh yes...at least we have a shelter to go home to.

Others are like sharing a crowded in a tent (Guadalupe Pkwy in San Jose), taking a dump on sidewalks in front of people walking by
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I looked at the projections for o line in next years draft and it looks good. They had about 6 guys in the top 32 players which is much better than 2019. I could see some combination of guard, corner, tackle with our first 3 picks. I would probably pick the tackle 3rd and groom him to replace Staley or McGlinchy if he moves over to replace Staley. Maybe a couple of late rounders for depth if they think there is value there.

49ers still have a 3rd round pick in the 2020 draft. I'm not adverse to dropping the 3rd round pick in the 2020 draft (if the draft nerds are correct that it's a great crop of OLinemen in 2020) and getting an extra one or two rounds in the later rounds to get some OLine draft picks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Not neglected. Just not prioritized with talent.

I don't quite agree with the *not prioritized* part. I think there is about 15 or so Linemen on the squad right now, with Richburg potentially coming off IR soon will make that 16, or so. In addition to drafting Skule with their 6th rounder in this years draft. (People have already mentioned McGlinchy as a number 1 pick last year).

I saw the holding penalties that everybody saw in the dallas game, but I didin't really see any OLinemen getting overpowered. Then again, I was watching the QB more than the dallas DLinemen.

Point I'm trying to make is that the strength of this draft class was DE and WR's and that's what they went for in the draft. I think there is some youth and promise on the OLine squad, as compared to 2017 and '18. Garnett's pinky isn't Garnett's knee or acl, and so between Garnett injuring his pinky vs his knee or ACL, I'll take pinky anyday. I think the OLine does have some challenges, specially with the loss of Shon Coleman, but it's not the disaster that 2017 was, or in 2018 where everybody was new to each other and have never played a game with each other before.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't quite agree with the *not prioritized* part. I think there is about 15 or so Linemen on the squad right now, with Richburg potentially coming off IR soon will make that 16, or so. In addition to drafting Skule with their 6th rounder in this years draft. (People have already mentioned McGlinchy as a number 1 pick last year).

I saw the holding penalties that everybody saw in the dallas game, but I didin't really see any OLinemen getting overpowered. Then again, I was watching the QB more than the dallas DLinemen.

Point I'm trying to make is that the strength of this draft class was DE and WR's and that's what they went for in the draft. I think there is some youth and promise on the OLine squad, as compared to 2017 and '18. Garnett's pinky isn't Garnett's knee or acl, and so between Garnett injuring his pinky vs his knee or ACL, I'll take pinky anyday. I think the OLine does have some challenges, specially with the loss of Shon Coleman, but it's not the disaster that 2017 was, or in 2018 where everybody was new to each other and have never played a game with each other before.

"...with talent."
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

"...with talent."

...and you don't know that yet, it's been one pre-season game. Talent can be developed. Keep that in mind.
I think right now theres no way we can cut Garnett we're too thin. Skule doesnt seem that good. Richburg is starting to look like wasted money. Tomlinson is average, Person might not be better than a healthy Garnett. I think we should have gotten that Carolina Guard instead of Richburg and just kept our other center we traded to the dolphins. I hope Garnett can be good.

"...with talent."

...and you don't know that yet, it's been one pre-season game. Talent can be developed. Keep that in mind.
I think it's fair to say the approach so far has been mostly quantity and not quality in our search. Which to a certain extent makes sense, we're hoping for diamonds in the rough especially up the middle because we had a lot of needs and higher value options were available at other positions. Hopefully the bargain bin works out ok for one more year. We are at a place now where the roster is much better and can afford to buy from the top shelf next year.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
I think right now theres no way we can cut Garnett we're too thin. Skule doesnt seem that good. Richburg is starting to look like wasted money. Tomlinson is average, Person might not be better than a healthy Garnett. I think we should have gotten that Carolina Guard instead of Richburg and just kept our other center we traded to the dolphins. I hope Garnett can be good.

You may be right, but keep in mind, the QB's that were playing were Mullens and CJ against the Dallas first team defense. CJ tends to hold it, and on the first play BeatHard calls, he's sacked. I mean the guy could have audibled out of a bad Kyle Shanahan call, but he didn't. In my opinion, it's not all the Olines fault. The QB has to recognize a defensive run blitz and basically call another play.

Compare Mullens and CJ to Jimmy who's arm flick can go 20 yards easy. I think I've seen him falling backwards and still hit Goodwin on a 25+ yard out. Jimmy can make defenses pay on blitz calls because he has such a strong and accurate arm, whereas CJ can't recognized the blitz and that's why he's probably hurt again, and Nick's just going to take the loss and not push a bad position or play call.
Originally posted by 24karat49er:

Didn't he break his arm or something and was out for the season ?

"...with talent."

When this is the group you get to choose from for "talent" it's a pretty safe bet. Haha

LT: Sam Young & Christian DiLauro
LG: Ross Reynolds & Najee Toran
C: Ben Garland, Wesley Johnson & Dillon Day
RG: Joshua Garnett & Willie Beavers
RT: Justin Skule & Daniel Brunskill 

If you find even one quality depth player from this group (for more than a year), you'd be feeling good about it. And that's not even counting the "talent" of the starters in Tomlinson, Richburg and Person.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 14, 2019 at 4:23 AM ]

"...with talent."

When this is the group you get to choose from for "talent" it's a pretty safe bet. Haha

LT: Sam Young & Christian DiLauro
LG: Ross Reynolds & Najee Toran
C: Ben Garland, Wesley Johnson & Dillon Day
RG: Joshua Garnett & Willie Beavers
RT: Justin Skule & Daniel Brunskill 

If you find even one quality depth player from this group (for more than a year), you'd be feeling good about it. And that's not even counting the "talent" of the starters in Tomlinson, Richburg and Person.

Small correction - Brunskill actually played both LG and LT in the 1st pre-season game.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Small correction - Brunskill actually played both LG and LT in the 1st pre-season game.

Thank you...good eye.
Share 49ersWebzone