LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How did Ross Reynolds and Skule play last night? Any hope for them?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Well, the good news is Wesley Johnson did play really well at C and he's backing up Garland. I zeroed in on Ross Reynolds too. They have him at LG for some reason but he certainly has some tools for zone blocking and looked good too. Willie Beavers looks about 340 pounds but as a veteran, slid over to T from G in the pinch and did admirably. Everybody else looked...like 3rd string players.

Sounds reassuring

Didn't beavers look horrendous? Maybe he is a decent guard as a back up

He was not good. But because of his size, held up well in PP. His weight looks sloppy too.

#BeaverMeat
Just read a quote on Shanahan saying Gilliam was one of a few options. Uh I'd rather seem them dress up a blocking dummy. About as effective. Give someone else a try Lynch not that ham and egger. There are reasons why that guy is still a FA and we all know why. I will take some other trash heap with the chance we get lucky. I'm sure he's a great dude and could probably play in Vince's league. Or we could flip a pick. Anything just not Gilligan.
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Aug 11, 2019 at 4:44 PM ]
Well, the good news is Wesley Johnson did play really well at C and he's backing up Garland. I zeroed in on Ross Reynolds too. They have him at LG for some reason but he certainly has some tools for zone blocking and looked good too. Willie Beavers looks about 340 pounds but as a veteran, slid over to T from G in the pinch and did admirably. Everybody else looked...like 3rd string players.

Sounds reassuring

Didn't beavers look horrendous? Maybe he is a decent guard as a back up

He was not good. But because of his size, held up well in PP. His weight looks sloppy too.

#BeaverMeat

Horrendous is being generous and kind.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Probably Giliam

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

This OBVIOUSLY means we're trading for Trent Williams you can see the proof it's right there!

We don't want good OL...just cheap serviceable bodies.

If we were to trade for him would MM play G???
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
If we were to trade for him would MM play G???

No. McGlinchey is a T.

If he held up in pass protection that's pretty much all I care about. Who had the 3 holding penalties? Run blocking is very important but seems to be less important as the years go by so I'm good with it

I miss kwame Harris

I feel this. I miss Anal Beadles.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM ]
Anyone know which teams have extra OTs that are in jeopardy of making their respective rosters? Where do we look? A trade or the street?
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Anyone know which teams have extra OTs that are in jeopardy of making their respective rosters? Where do we look? A trade or the street?

Extra ot's?

🤣

Originally posted by FaTaL:

Extra ot's?

🤣

Why is this hilarious?
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Why is this hilarious?

Most teams struggle to find one decent tackle, a team with 3?

Come on
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Why is this hilarious?

Most teams struggle to find one decent tackle, a team with 3?

Come on

I'm not saying a starter quality guy, but someone to compete with Shule
  • dj43
I'm not saying a starter quality guy, but someone to compete with Shule

We have the #2 call on the waiver line. Lynch will bring in someone, hopefully it does not cost a draft pick but a 6th or 7th may be the reality. That is what Coleman cost.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I love Kyle. I think he's the best coach for this team. However, this reads interesting to me:

Coleman's injury left a backup offensive line with Willie Beavers on the left and Justin Skule on the right. Beavers committed three holding penalties (two of which were back-to-back) and Skule committed one. Another four penalties were committed by the offensive line on Saturday night (two by Christian DiLauro – a hold and false start, a hold by Ross Reynolds, and an illegal shift). As Shanahan admitted, it was a poor performance.

"You've got to play better," Shanahan said. "Guys sometimes hold when they get beat, and when you get beat, you can't hold. You have to let it go so you don't lose 10 yards. Sometimes, you have to get into better position where you aren't beat so you don't have to hold. I thought there were a few times where they were a little picky with the calls, but we got way too many of them, and there were a bunch of reoccurring guys who had it, and they have to make sure they do better, because it wasn't good enough and when you don't move your feet well, they're going to beat you, and holding the guy is not an option."

http://www.knbr.com/2019/08/11/49ers-notebook-injury-updates-incoming-tackle-signing-and-offensive-line-wasnt-good-enough/

So is KS really expecting Beavers, Skule and Reynolds not to get destroyed by Dallas' 1s and 2s? I guess they were even having problem with Dallas' 3s. Whatever the case, the bandaid has been ripped off and either the coaching or the talent that KS was okay with seems to have been exposed.

I think Kyle is missing Alex Gibbs. As much as there has been a coaching renewal on the defensive side, I'm wondering if we need one on the offensive side -- specifically the offensive line coach. John Benton strikes me as an average OLine coach.

It's interesting that once Kocurek came into the picture - it seems the D Line is doing better. I'm wondering if we need a better OLine coach. Kyle is a WR coach and I don't know if Kyle is a good enough OC to get average offensive line players to play above average the way Alex Gibbs could. If I was John Lynch, I'd be doing a lot of college OLine coaching scouting to see if there's an OLine coach out there that might give Benton a challenge.

On the Colman injury, that may have played a part in all the offensive line holding calls. Basically the backups had to play against the Cowboy's number 1 DLinemen, in other words, they were faced with much tougher competition than usual because of the Colman injury.
Share 49ersWebzone