There are 362 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I hear you LV, but again this is a "hope" strategy and hope has been their strategy all offseason with the OL.

We hope Richburg will be back.
We hope Tomlinson and Person will play better.
We hope Person won't have any injuries.
We hope Garnett will be durable.
We hope Garland can play OC despite not ever starting an NFL game at the position.

I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but you just have to ask yourself and the FO, just how much hope is too much and when will there will be some solid personnel moves/choices?
we hope jimmys quick release will be a key. we hope since they went to hockey games and have continuity
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Williams COULD play guard but I doubt that he would want to, not when you see just how many teams have issues at left tackle. Its not like he is washed up or anything, just pissed at the Washington medical staff and front office.

Also plenty of teams who will give up more compensation. Texans come to mind.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Butter:
Trade for Trent Williams...that is all

we will actively pursue people we feel that can help us. that being said. we are announcing gary is coming back on a multi year deal while williams goes to the pats for a 6th round pick

Bruh no matter how bad YOU want Gilligan to come back, no one else cares

Hopefully Benton can play a big role (soon) on getting the depth we have now up to par
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

Hopefully Benton can play a big role (soon) on getting the depth we have now up to par

and ross reynolds
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
This is exactly might point. We have a highly paid QB coming off a significant injury.

We should have came into camp looking good (not average)...center not ready, questionable guard play and mediocre depth

Oline is not a quick fix. I hope (I believe they can) we get it right by kickoff, but it should have never come to this point.

I hear you LV, but again this is a "hope" strategy and hope has been their strategy all offseason with the OL.

We hope Garland can play OC despite not ever starting an NFL game at the position.

I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but you just have to ask yourself and the FO, just how much hope is too much and when will there will be some solid personnel moves/choices?

Ladies and Gents....THIS! Goodnight Now!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

and ross reynolds

We might as well convert Ross Dwelley and Levine Toilolo to tackles
This is exactly might point. We have a highly paid QB coming off a significant injury.

We should have came into camp looking good (not average)...center not ready, questionable guard play and mediocre depth

Oline is not a quick fix. I hope (I believe they can) we get it right by kickoff, but it should have never come to this point.

Tell me - where were those readily available OL upgrades? Can't draft at every position of need because there aren't enough picks. Nobody is trading great OL. Free agents are few and far between.
Originally posted by captveg:
Tell me - where were those readily available OL upgrades? Can't draft at every position of need because there aren't enough picks. Nobody is trading great OL. Free agents are few and far between.

The Fa guard list was awful

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/

Tackle had Chaz Green and Donald Penn. Not hugely awe inspiring.

I would've gone Conner McGovern myself in the 3rd but clearly Hurd showed he has promise so I also understand going another way.

Wesley Jonathan should get more play going forward.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
And don't get baited into the "who do we draft?" argument. The "doing all we can do" is predestined outcome so it literally will never be answered.

Yeah I hear you.

I trust Shanny / scouts and staff know who is who and what's available. I don't believe they put everything into it (going after better depth / starters)... that's my opinion and no one really knows but Shanny / scouts and staff.

For all we know, they trusted in what they have, figured to develop some guys and believed it would work (with a lot of faith)
ok fine,, this is the new norm. we just have to accept the fact our o line will suck because.. well that is the way it is now. turnovers are over rated to so we will just have to get used to the fact that last year when we set a nfl record for futility in turnovers.. well thats just the new norm.

I don't believe this for one second.

Folks say there aren't enough OL coming into draft, yet the 49ers clearly aren't building their interior line with draft picks. That's a philosophy, not necessarily a reflection of the state of talent in the NFL. So if building your OL through FA is preferred because it takes more time to develop OL coming out of college into the league, then all the questions around FA linemen and what choices me did or did not make are also reasonable to ask. I find it amazing that despite being nearly shouted down and told I was being too negative or "we can't fix everything" etc., we're going to do out of stark necessity which was exactly what many of us recommended we do earlier when there were potentially more choices and time.

Again, you can't live on hope when it comes to the LOS. The same approach we've taken IMHO to OL is hoping that Cassius Marsh would become a 10 sack guy.

Can't argue with the lack of draft capital spent on OL BUT about 99% of us that wanted Oline wanted a guard. Tackle would've been nice, but was a luxury pick. There's little that could've been done to avoid this, save for paying starter money to a swing tackle (were there any available in FA I honestly wouldn't have minded and it would've been a better use of cap space than the contracts given to some. But outside of that, there wasn't much to be done about this particular Oline issue.

And don't get baited into the "who do we draft?" argument. The "doing all we can do" is predestined outcome so it literally will never be answered.

The hope strategy sounds like investing with a negative interest rate. Guaranteed to get a flash out of them. Not guaranteed to ever get anything close to the original investment back.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Is Benton a damn good oline coach? I hope Garland can learn that position quick and be good at it. He's a tough dude and pretty smart, but never played a real game at center

We got a bunch of unknown names on the depth chart. All these guys can't really suck, can they?
  • evil
  • Veteran
coleman was better than gary dillhole. no one ever said either was joe staley. again we are setting on a pile of cash and ross reynolds is the best they can do.

Maybe we should have dished out 66 million for Andrew Norwell last off-season like yourself and so many others had hoped. He missed 5 games and did not play up to that contract at all.

Then you could rail Lynch for overpaying for him and "hope" he would play better in year 2 after going to a hockey game.

When Lynch invests in the OL, top 10 pick + top FA interior OL + traded for a starting OG and a backup swing tackle, he gets s**t on. When he does not spend a 4th round pick on an OG to be named never, he gets s**t on. He can do no right no matter what.
Originally posted by evil:
coleman was better than gary dillhole. no one ever said either was joe staley. again we are setting on a pile of cash and ross reynolds is the best they can do.

Maybe we should have dished out 66 million for Andrew Norwell last off-season like yourself and so many others had hoped. He missed 5 games and did not play up to that contract at all.

Then you could rail Lynch for overpaying for him and "hope" he would play better in year 2 after going to a hockey game.

When Lynch invests in the OL, top 10 pick + top FA interior OL + traded for a starting OG and a backup swing tackle, he gets s**t on. When he does not spend a 4th round pick on an OG to be named never, he gets s**t on. He can do no right no matter what.
I won't get into specific players or coulda shoulda, but I was surprised they didn't address the line more.
I said we were thin at tackle. It's a bit a bad situation to have little depth
have you noticed. that when one brings up a concern. so many are so quick to try to point to other teams and tear down other teams in order to build up or defend kyle and lynch. so sick of the word context. and sick of peopling blathering about other teams. who gives a s**t. maybe for once we need to look in the mirror and look at our own issues instead of saying.. oh. the dolphins have issues to so that is the new norm

have you noticed. that when one brings up a positive. so many are so quick to try to piss on it and prop up other teams in order to bash kyle and lynch. so sick of whiners. and sick of people bashing the 49ers. who cares. maybe for once we need to understand that rebuilds take time.
Share 49ersWebzone