LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
First time all year that the Cowboy's bad ass DL+LB group has had their soul's taken from them. Mcvay's window dressing had LVE's head spinning. Dude was lost lol.

That was a pretty healthy mix of IZ and OZ.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Awesome. But...did they "wear down" running sideways or just confused on where to run. LOL j/k

Both and it's the exact same thing Shanny does here. It's the basis of offense that makes it very difficult to stop.

Power works, zone works. Everything has its place. Good teams use everything. There's no right or wrong here.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yes, sir, and it was beautiful to watch.

yo thl, what do you make of both McVay and Shanny using a bigger guard at the left spot? You think this could be some kind of tenet of the offense? Rodger Saffold, like Tomlinson, is another player who typically wouldn't be viewed as a zone guard.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM ]
Awesome. But...did they "wear down" running sideways or just confused on where to run. LOL j/k

Both and it's the exact same thing Shanny does here. It's the basis of offense that makes it very difficult to stop.

Power works, zone works. Everything has its place. Good teams use everything. There's no right or wrong here.

I could not agree more!

yo thl, what do you make of both McVay and Shanny using a bigger guard at the left spot? You think this could be some kind of tenet of the offense? Rodger Saffold, like Tomlinson, is another player who typically wouldn't be viewed as a zone guard.

I was kind of hoping Brown could have stayed somehow and moved to LT and then have more of a power element on the left side with Brown + Tomlinson...more athletic side on the right (after Staley retired).

Has anyone done something like that? It seems like that on the Pat's OL right now but not sure.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 22, 2019 at 1:56 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Why not? Coaches adjust. And Kyle did that last year with more inside zone with Hyde. The threat of IZ or OZ is the same for PA at the end of the day. Fusco, big Tomlinson, Kilgore to Richburg, rookie RT, Kyle adjusts better than anyone.

This
OZ provides the most elongated set of motions and that results in stalling the pass rush the most in terms of duration. It also gets the DL moving sideways which removes forward momentum.

On IZ, the OL steps forward, for the most part - it's straight ahead blocking. For OZ, the OL's first steps are sideways, which is counter productive to a DL that wants to pass rush. OZ, from a QB under center (not shotgun/pistol), is the best form of playaction because: the OL is moving sideways just as they would on an OZ run, and the actions of the QB turning his back to the play, holding the ball out for the RB is a prolonged action.

I love the OZ esp. for the reasons you mentioned and how it helps set up PA and how everything looks the same so it gives the defenders pause.

That said, I can't speak to the last time I saw a defense actually wear down because of an OZ scheme. I can to power though (see Pats/Chiefs).

With OZ, if a defense is one gapping-attack, we saw the downside...124 QB hits (splitting the moving gaps) and IIRC, a high number of negative rushing yards (STF/TLOSS). And of course, poor short yardage and an inability to run inside the RZ.

Those are my big concerns. TBF, I'd have as many concerns about straight power lines too.

Like Hero noted, the Pat's are multi-dimensional and that's most ideal today. Some power, gap, IZ, OZ, etc.

OZ combined with high tempo can get a DL winded on a particular drive. But my response was to address the notion that playaction is the same for IZ and OZ. They do achieve the same purpose but I think OZ does it more effectively.
Tomlinson provides some straight ahead power, Person does not. Hopefully Richburg can provide a bit more with a healthy knee.
OZ combined with high tempo can get a DL winded on a particular drive. But my response was to address the notion that playaction is the same for IZ and OZ. They do achieve the same purpose but I think OZ does it more effectively.
Tomlinson provides some straight ahead power, Person does not. Hopefully Richburg can provide a bit more with a healthy knee.

Ohhh, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks.
I was kind of hoping Brown could have stayed somehow and moved to LT and then have more of a power element on the left side with Brown + Tomlinson...more athletic side on the right (after Staley retired).

Has anyone done something like that? It seems like that on the Pat's OL right now but not sure.

The Patriots have a very interesting OL. Their tackles are big(both over 330), but their entire interior OL is relatively undersized at barely over 300 lbs(small, not weak). They have a balance of both zone and power guys. They also drafted Isaiah Wynn, who is a small tackle.

That said, they have the best OL coach in the game(one of the best of all time), so they're a unique situation.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 22, 2019 at 2:01 PM ]
  • thl408

Power Right.
Perhaps that's why they are okay with those two guys? That LG is pulling and leading to move that LB out of the hole - seems like a good ace up the sleeve. I remember Geep Chryst moving Boone from RG to LG and we were talking about how Geep may have done that to keep the Power element in the playbook.

The Patriots have a very interesting OL. Their tackles are big(both over 330), but their entire interior OL is relatively undersized at barely over 300 lbs(small, not weak).

BB is just an effing genius. I kind of noticed it more this last game. The two last rushing TD's, Brown would strike ahead clearing a hole, seal followed by a FB/RB...TD. But outside the RZ, more IZ/OZ to the right. I could be way off...I know you noted the OZ near the goal line is their go-to.

BB is just an effing genius. I kind of noticed it more this last game. The two last rushing TD's, Brown would strike ahead clearing a hole, seal followed by a FB/RB...TD. But outside the RZ, more IZ/OZ to the right. I could be way off...I know you noted the OZ near the goal line is their go-to.

Yeah, OZ is their bread and butter goal line play for the last decade lol.

you can read about it here: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/5/22/17376788/nfl-offense-goal-line-package-patriots-run-the-ball

Yeah, OZ is their bread and butter goal line play for the last decade lol.

you can read about it here: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/5/22/17376788/nfl-offense-goal-line-package-patriots-run-the-ball

Thanks!
Hero/P/NY/OTC...

Any thoughts on a scheme-fit RG and LT we could target? FA isn't looking too hot. Both could develop for a year behind Staley and Person (resign).
Hero/P/NY/OTC...

Any thoughts on a scheme-fit RG and LT we could target? FA isn't looking too hot. Both could develop for a year behind Staley and Person (resign).

2 guys that the 49ers could possibly trade for are Forrest Lamp from LAC and Christian Westerman from Cinci. Not sure what is up with Lamp, but he's been a healthy scratch for the Chargers. Dude was a very talented player coming out.
Im down foe the lamp.
Share 49ersWebzone