LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
With Kilgore's release, what is the plan? Right now it's Staley-Tomlinson-Richburg-Garret-Brown? Is another FA guard targeted? Pugh? Who else is left that is average or above average in FA? Are the Niners depending on the draft? Does Kilgore's trade (for nothing) suggest the first selection will be a guard (and not pass rusher even after Dumervil's release)? Do the Niners trade down and select Wynn and (with the extra pick) follow that with Daniels, Price or Ragnow? Or trade down, select Landry or Davenport (whichever is available) and select two guards from the 2nd or 3rd rounds. And start two rookies on the OL in front of Jimmy G?

For now, we have Erik Magnuson backing up Richburg. That's a good thing. And we added back $5.375M to the cap.

Only two decent veterans left in Justin Pugh and Jack Mewhort.

Ouch! That answers the age old question...who plays guard! Oh, no it doesn't...LOL!

So trading Kilgore for an exchange of 7th round picks, gaining four spots...what did Shanahan and Lynch think of Kilgore? So I was totally off and now wonder if they really like Garnett and Tomlinson...or Beadles? They let Fusco leave. Do they have a plan we haven't thought of?

Available?
Joe Looney
Mike Person
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone

So much talent!
  • 91til
  • Veteran
We had to draft interior guys anyway. Hopefully we sign another one too
I think Garnett gets a real shot and they look to just fill the RG position. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Originally posted by Giedi:
With respect to Kilgore and the guards, we have four guards on the team currently, not counting Kilgore. And I just took a quick look at the signed NFL free agent guard situation and there are a lot of lesser tier guards still available in free agency. I can see ShanaLynch bring in a tier 2 or tier 3 OT's or OG's later in the free agency after the market has died down a bit and these guys can be signed on the cheap. Guys that are young and can move, but maybe they have issues with injury, wrong scheme, or simply aren't appreciated by their respective teams. Most importantly I hope they bring in players that they can coach up in the ZBS. Now I mention this because we've just added a real fast RB1 in McKinnon, the thing about *fast* RB's is that you don't have to sustain the block too long in order to make these fast RB1 guys effective. If the O Lineman can just get in the way of the D Lineman, with the proper scheme, you really don't need Tier 1 O Linemen across the board. An example would be a draw play, O linemen would just let the D Linemen pass rush right by them and the scheme opens up the holes for McKinnon to shoot through. O Linemen don't need strength to make a draw play work, they just need enough quickness and agility to keep in front of the D Lineman as he blows past the O Line and tries to get back to tackle the RB.
you make some good points, imho.

with Jimmy G's quick release the o-line doesn't need to hold their blocks forever on passing downs either.
Makes sense now...Kilgore asked for a trade rather than move to guard. Management showing some respect for a veteran.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Ouch! That answers the age old question...who plays guard! Oh, no it doesn't...LOL!

So trading Kilgore for an exchange of 7th round picks, gaining four spots...what did Shanahan and Lynch think of Kilgore? So I was totally off and now wonder if they really like Garnett and Tomlinson...or Beadles? They let Fusco leave. Do they have a plan we haven't thought of?

Available?
Joe Looney
Mike Person
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone

So much talent!

I don't think they traded him for so little because they thought poorly of him. Were probably more motivated to dump the $ they just signed him to and roster bonus coming up. As far as their plan
Hopefully sign Pugh and find a way to draft Nelson. That would be the line I want protecting Jimmy!

Available?
Joe Looney
Mike Person
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone

So much talent!
for now it looks like: Staley, Garnett, Richburg, Tomlinsin, Brown, with Beadles, Magnuson, Gilliam and Williams as backups.

then they'll draft Daniels to backup C/G, Braden Smith or Wynn as backup G/T, and Williams to backup T.

so shanny rebuilds his o-line for the long term.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I will just add +1 to the first sentence above. Kilgore for whatever reason is no longer strong enough to do battle with DLs. He got pushed all over the field last yr, but mainly right back into the QBs lap. I understand he can play OG and C, but how come more folks aren't noting his inability to hold out DLs? I know the big 1 yr contract he has, but no matter where you put him on the OL, isn't he going to be a liability? Before his injury this was never an issue. Now, or in 2017, anyway, it became a big issue. I still think his signing was strictly for insurance, in case we couldn't sign another Center. With him under contract we didn't HAVE TO take a C. That way, which is the best way, we entered FA not having a MUST HAVE Center. We could grab one if he was "just right". And as long as Richburg(Sp?) stays healthy we are fine. If not, we are in trouble. We still are 2 OGs away from having a functioning OL, and wth two top flite OGs, this OL becomes a top 10 entry. If Nelson happened to fall to us, it is top 5. But still we would need a really good OG from draft to make that happen...or FA, eg Sitton.

With respect to Kilgore and the guards, we have four guards on the team currently, not counting Kilgore. And I just took a quick look at the signed NFL free agent guard situation and there are a lot of lesser tier guards still available in free agency. I can see ShanaLynch bring in a tier 2 or tier 3 OT's or OG's later in the free agency after the market has died down a bit and these guys can be signed on the cheap. Guys that are young and can move, but maybe they have issues with injury, wrong scheme, or simply aren't appreciated by their respective teams. Most importantly I hope they bring in players that they can coach up in the ZBS. Now I mention this because we've just added a real fast RB1 in McKinnon, the thing about *fast* RB's is that you don't have to sustain the block too long in order to make these fast RB1 guys effective. If the O Lineman can just get in the way of the D Lineman, with the proper scheme, you really don't need Tier 1 O Linemen across the board. An example would be a draw play, O linemen would just let the D Linemen pass rush right by them and the scheme opens up the holes for McKinnon to shoot through. O Linemen don't need strength to make a draw play work, they just need enough quickness and agility to keep in front of the D Lineman as he blows past the O Line and tries to get back to tackle the RB.

NIce point Giedi.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Available?
Joe Looney
Mike Person
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone

So much talent!
for now it looks like: Staley, Garnett, Richburg, Tomlinsin, Brown, with Beadles, Magnuson, Gilliam and Williams as backups.

then they'll draft Daniels to backup C/G, Braden Smith or Wynn as backup G/T, and Williams to backup T.

OND, I posted that neither Kilgore, nor Fsco, nor Laken would make the 53. I meant to add Beadles to that list. I think he and Laken are the two to go and we get two OGs in FA. I wouldn't be unhappy with Mason at #70 but bet we get one much earlier....(Nelson would be a hoot)...but two young OGs. then we have magnus, Gilliam and William + 2 OGs in draft say rd 2 and 3 if Nelson is gone which he most surely will be. shoot, I keep forgetting Garnett, and hope he fights his way onto the starting OL, ,leaving us just one rook to start at other OG.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:25 PM ]
We need to draft at least a couple of OGs but it's a deep draft there luckily. I do think Mags will overtake Tomlinson. Surprised we didn't retain Fusco....

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Available?
Joe Looney
Mike Person
Jordan Devey
Alex Boone

So much talent!

Seems likely that they will build from the draft and sign some depth for this coming year. I jokingly added the names above as they are on the FA lists, but there are quite a few better OGs as well. This guys I listed had connections with the niners' past so thought I'd give them a nod. I hope none of them are signed though!

Edit: forgot to mention...I like the guys you listed!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM ]
Jimmy G was tied for 49th in most sacks per game last year (Beathard, by comparison, was tied for 14th).

Quarterbacks ranked by sacks per game

It was only 6 games, but it was only 8 sacks. Clearly his quick release made a difference, because we all know our line wasn't good last year.

That said, I think he'd be able to do so much more with better blocking. I hope we can get at least one more impact player on the o-line.
[ Edited by Garoppolis on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:12 PM ]
Go get Pouncey
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Go get Pouncey

Can/will he play guard?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Can/will he play guard?

He was a guard at Florida until his senior year. He played guard for the Dolphins a few games. Always thought RG would be his best spot.
Share 49ersWebzone