There are 208 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I got a crazy idea. Instead of anointing Kilgore or Richburg or Garnett or Magnusson or any rookie we draft a starting spot in any postion, how about we let all these guys compete and let iron sharpen iron. Let's get the best 5 out there and then be happy with our depth too.

This is my favorite part of what Lynch/Shanahan are doing--they currently have four guys who can play C or G depending on who they see as the best candidate. This reminds me of the old days when they knew they had to be cross trained to avoid disaster when injuries hit.

VERY solid post dtg!

The OL acquisitions seems to be more or less done until the draft. Getting another above-min free agent would make the longterm cost of the OL too high.

We have the 3 tackles for the season (Staly, Brown, Gilliam). We have the starting C (Richburg), and four others fighting for two starting spots (Garnett, Tomlinson, Kilgore, Magnusson). Add a veteran camp body (Beadles) and another three younger ones (Williams, Lauderdale, Murphy). That's 12, and assuming Beadles is kept until the end of the TC, we have roster spots for two vet min/UDFA types.
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
The OL acquisitions seems to be more or less done until the draft. Getting another above-min free agent would make the longterm cost of the OL too high.

We have the 3 tackles for the season (Staly, Brown, Gilliam). We have the starting C (Richburg), and four others fighting for two starting spots (Garnett, Tomlinson, Kilgore, Magnusson). Add a veteran camp body (Beadles) and another three younger ones (Williams, Lauderdale, Murphy). That's 12, and assuming Beadles is kept until the end of the TC, we have roster spots for two vet min/UDFA types.

I don't follow your math. Most of those dudes won't make the team, especially if we bring in another solid vet or two. Those who do make the squad will be dirt cheap.

There's still plenty of latitude to upgrade. Josh Sitton, for example.
Everyone hyping Brown for his pass pro, which maybe warranted, but how is his run blocking? I suspect Kyle slow in extending Brown is due to Kyle wanting more out of RT in this area.

Run game very inconsistent and at times lacking altogether last year.
Originally posted by post_primitive:

I don't follow your math. Most of those dudes won't make the team, especially if we bring in another solid vet or two. Those who do make the squad will be dirt cheap.

Yeah what we really have:

LOT: Joe Staley; Gary Gilliam
LG: GAPING HOLE
C: Weston Richburg; Daniel Kilgore
RG: GAPING HOLE
ROT: Trenton Brown; Darrell Williams Jr.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Most college linemen aren't ready to start in their first year, the ones that can go in the first round. We are growing a nice crop of younger linemen, and will add to it in the draft. I think Garnett will be back and better, leaving a hole at guard we can fill either with a home grown player, or a late FA, low dollar guy while we wait for our younger players to mature.

My worries are at Tackle, Joe is older, and won't be around forever, I see Trent moving to left tackle, with more pass protection, and less run blocking in his future. Gilliam, or Magnusen will have to step up in the next year or so, or we will find some one else.

I feel okay going into camp with what we have on the roster at O-line, are we the best unit in the NFL...no, not yet, are we going to break the bank, run out of cap room, and sign every free agent guard available...no, we will continue to be "prudently aggressive" in the free agent market.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Most college linemen aren't ready to start in their first year, the ones that can go in the first round. We are growing a nice crop of younger linemen, and will add to it in the draft. I think Garnett will be back and better, leaving a hole at guard we can fill either with a home grown player, or a late FA, low dollar guy while we wait for our younger players to mature.

My worries are at Tackle, Joe is older, and won't be around forever, I see Trent moving to left tackle, with more pass protection, and less run blocking in his future. Gilliam, or Magnusen will have to step up in the next year or so, or we will find some one else.

I feel okay going into camp with what we have on the roster at O-line, are we the best unit in the NFL...no, not yet, are we going to break the bank, run out of cap room, and sign every free agent guard available...no, we will continue to be "prudently aggressive" in the free agent market.

Agreed on the rookie linemen being so underdeveloped these days. Throw them in a complex offense like ours and you can get your FQB killed.

Yeah, I think we still have work to do. There's a great scheme-fit G in Sitton we could sign for 3 years.

Then you've only got one G spot where you can plug in serious competition with Garnett. Add a T and G and they'll have time to develop properly behind studs who can show them the way.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM ]

We should extend Gaping Hole before he hits the open market . He's versatile and has been here for many years now. Most consistency on the O-line along with Staley since Lupati left

Agreed on the rookie linemen being so underdeveloped these days. Throw them in a complex offense like ours and you can get your FQB killed.

Yeah, I think we still have work to do. There's a great scheme-fit G in Sitton we could sign for 3 years.

Then you've only got one G spot where you can plug in serious competition with Garnett. Add a T and G and they'll have time to develop properly behind studs who can show them the way.

I agree on adding a free agent to show the rookies what's up. I would rather get a cap victum over 30 on the cheap, instead of overpaying for a guy in his prime.

Have to save money somewhere!
I'm with NCommand here. Gaping hole is both OGs, and if Beatles, Laken, Fsco are on the 53 i will be surprised. We are missing TWO starting OGs. A Sitton like talent would make it down to just one missing OG, and that we could easily get from picks 20- 70, unless Nelson for whatever reason happened to slide to #9. Strongly doubt that but we need to have at least one more starting OG before draft or we are going to be forced to take two in draft. We already have to have a starting CB, because RS being ready ...ummmm...that sounds like a reach. And even then, is he as good as he was.? We also need a pair of starting LBs. Surprised we haven't taken any so far...unless JL thinks there is no talent there.

I agree on adding a free agent to show the rookies what's up. I would rather get a cap victum over 30 on the cheap, instead of overpaying for a guy in his prime.

Have to save money somewhere!

Which is why Josh Sitton is ideal. 31 and playing still at a very high level and perfect scheme fit. 2-3 year deal is perfect.
Originally posted by Sourball:
We should extend Gaping Hole before he hits the open market . He's versatile and has been here for many years now. Most consistency on the O-line along with Staley since Lupati left

I agree. He's a very important part of our future and chemistry together!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm with NCommand here. Gaping hole is both OGs, and if Beatles, Laken, Fsco are on the 53 i will be surprised. We are missing TWO starting OGs. A Sitton like talent would make it down to just one missing OG, and that we could easily get from picks 20- 70, unless Nelson for whatever reason happened to slide to #9. Strongly doubt that but we need to have at least one more starting OG before draft or we are going to be forced to take two in draft. We already have to have a starting CB, because RS being ready ...ummmm...that sounds like a reach. And even then, is he as good as he was.? We also need a pair of starting LBs. Surprised we haven't taken any so far...unless JL thinks there is no talent there.

Josh Garnett says hello. Dudes going to be a beast.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Josh Garnett says hello. Dudes going to be a beast.

We can only pray. He certainly has the license to be great.

Agreed. That's a lot of gaping.
Share 49ersWebzone