There are 125 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agreed, the interior OLs, ALL THREE OF THEM, need to be experienced, tough, quick , absolute pass defenders....willing to give up their lives for their FR QB—but all not just good but already experienced. Now it just so happens that there may not be 2 OGs that are top flite, but there is at least one. There are several Cs that fit the bill. If we get a stud C and OG, but are still looking for that fantasmagorical 2nd OG, fine, draft him with #1 or 2 pick in the draft. That is fine by me and this should be based on superior players only, with proven experience.

So yes on all interior OLs be experienced and great players, but include 2 OGs in that group...unless the 2nd OG is not special. The C HAS to be special. We have the unique , SPECIAL FR QB that we have been looking for the last 20 yrs. Ok, we got him. Now the other part of that equation, is to protect him with the best out there. So stick with FAs , as long as they are surperior players. If we can get only one BEST OG, then get the bookend OG in the draft with first or second pick. Unfortunately, i think there aren't TWO OGs that will fit the bill in FA. We'll see, but we probably end up needing a second OG starter from draft. In the best of worlds, i would love to take care of OL in FA, leaving us with all the draft to get our starting ER, CB, 2 starting LBs, S, and backups wherever we need them most. I liked the idea of having two complete starting DLines and run fresh 4 guys in every 4-5 plays. Unfortunately we just didn't have the horses to pull that off all yr, or much of it. I suspect we'll make an attempt to do this again, but it will depend on what kind of talent we bring in. Overall, tho, a great idea, keeping 4 DLs fresh all game , letting them ultimately steamroll the opponents OL.

As for the OLs, that is kyle's and lynch's Main job this FA /draft. I truly hope we lean heavily on FA to make this come true. And if we can get an ER in FA? Hell yeah, don't pass that up. Problem is, an Ansah is probably just wishful thinking. Would i love to have him. You bet. Unfortunately, we aren't the only ones needing starting OLs and ER.

I agree that for this offense to hit it's true potential, a top flight center is a priority. Considering the outside zone run is more of a movement and position dominant than power man blocking dominant, I'd actually be looking for young free agent guards that can move and have that agility and see if they can be moved to the center position.

I'd love to have an Alex Mack/Mike Webster hall of fame center that can do everything, but they are rare and very hard to get. I'd settle for a center that is smart, and has the great acceleration to stalemate the nose man for a second, and then has the speed and agility to pull/trap and outrun DT's on the outside runs. Strength is important, but that would be a low priority for me for the center position.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agreed, the interior OLs, ALL THREE OF THEM, need to be experienced, tough, quick , absolute pass defenders....willing to give up their lives for their FR QB—but all not just good but already experienced. Now it just so happens that there may not be 2 OGs that are top flite, but there is at least one. There are several Cs that fit the bill. If we get a stud C and OG, but are still looking for that fantasmagorical 2nd OG, fine, draft him with #1 or 2 pick in the draft. That is fine by me and this should be based on superior players only, with proven experience.

So yes on all interior OLs be experienced and great players, but include 2 OGs in that group...unless the 2nd OG is not special. The C HAS to be special. We have the unique , SPECIAL FR QB that we have been looking for the last 20 yrs. Ok, we got him. Now the other part of that equation, is to protect him with the best out there. So stick with FAs , as long as they are surperior players. If we can get only one BEST OG, then get the bookend OG in the draft with first or second pick. Unfortunately, i think there aren't TWO OGs that will fit the bill in FA. We'll see, but we probably end up needing a second OG starter from draft. In the best of worlds, i would love to take care of OL in FA, leaving us with all the draft to get our starting ER, CB, 2 starting LBs, S, and backups wherever we need them most. I liked the idea of having two complete starting DLines and run fresh 4 guys in every 4-5 plays. Unfortunately we just didn't have the horses to pull that off all yr, or much of it. I suspect we'll make an attempt to do this again, but it will depend on what kind of talent we bring in. Overall, tho, a great idea, keeping 4 DLs fresh all game , letting them ultimately steamroll the opponents OL.

As for the OLs, that is kyle's and lynch's Main job this FA /draft. I truly hope we lean heavily on FA to make this come true. And if we can get an ER in FA? Hell yeah, don't pass that up. Problem is, an Ansah is probably just wishful thinking. Would i love to have him. You bet. Unfortunately, we aren't the only ones needing starting OLs and ER.

I agree that for this offense to hit it's true potential, a top flight center is a priority. Considering the outside zone run is more of a movement and position dominant than power man blocking dominant, I'd actually be looking for young free agent guards that can move and have that agility and see if they can be moved to the center position.

I'd love to have an Alex Mack/Mike Webster hall of fame center that can do everything, but they are rare and very hard to get. I'd settle for a center that is smart, and has the great acceleration to stalemate the nose man for a second, and then has the speed and agility to pull/trap and outrun DT's on the outside runs. Strength is important, but that would be a low priority for me for the center position.

I have been hoping that as soon as FA starts, C and G are the first positions addressed. But everything I've read leads me to believe that the coaches love Kilgore. Almost every fan on here is hoping that we will pursue Jensen from Baltimore, but it doesn't appear likely at all. I'm hopeful that putting better guards on each side of him will not only improve the overall play of the line, but make it more obvious what the coaches like so much in him. I don't think he's bad, but most fans just want a dominant center, which he is not. My money is on Kilgore remaining the starter next year. His 2018 performance will dictate the teams actions the following offseason regarding the position.

Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
I have been hoping that as soon as FA starts, C and G are the first positions addressed. But everything I've read leads me to believe that the coaches love Kilgore. Almost every fan on here is hoping that we will pursue Jensen from Baltimore, but it doesn't appear likely at all. I'm hopeful that putting better guards on each side of him will not only improve the overall play of the line, but make it more obvious what the coaches like so much in him. I don't think he's bad, but most fans just want a dominant center, which he is not. My money is on Kilgore remaining the starter next year. His 2018 performance will dictate the teams actions the following offseason regarding the position.

Haha. Kilgore is horrendous and at best, a serviceable backup. When your C is getting bench pressed into your QB's knees, getting knocked into pulling players, picks up nobody in PP, there was a reason the team went after Zuttah and others. Now the FO has a chance to easily upgrade...they better do it! If Kilgore or Tomlinson are starting next year, the FO failed miserably.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Haha. Kilgore is horrendous and at best, a serviceable backup. When your C is getting bench pressed into your QB's knees, getting knocked into pulling players, picks up nobody in PP, there was a reason the team went after Zuttah and others. Now the FO has a chance to easily upgrade...they better do it! If Kilgore or Tomlinson are starting next year, the FO failed miserably.
Would not be surprised to see us sign a mid level OG and let Laken, Garnett and that pickup compete for the two spots. Kilgore needs to go but it's not my call, could see KS resign him and could also see him pursue someone he likes in F/A instead. What we desperately need however is a good backup OT...can't go through rolling C's and Gaurds out there again.
Top FA Centers
30 and over:
Kilgore
Smith
Sullivan
Bergstrom
26 or under:
Jensen
Harrison
Schwenke

Jensen would be a logical target as Baltimore is close to the cap and has a backup center they may want to sign--Bowanko would be less expensive--have no idea how they view him though!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 9, 2018 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Top FA Centers
30 and over:
Kilgore
Smith
Sullivan
Bergstrom
26 or under:
Jensen
Harrison
Schwenke

Jensen would be a logical target as Baltimore is close to the cap and has a backup center they may want to sign--Bowanko would be less expensive--have no idea how they view him though!

Kilgore isn't top anything. A backup at best.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think the Garappolo signing changes things. ShanaLynch just signed a 137 million investment package and they would be stupid to not protect said 137 million investment. Jimmy isn't standing still either, he's fielding calls and reaching out to guys who are willing and able to protect him. He wants the whole $137 million, and not the injury settlement guarantee (which is about half of that $137 million). So contrary to you, I look forward to seeing the 49ers go hard for good interior linemen and I think they will be creative and possibly move guards to centers, and tackles to guards, and so on. In other words, they have 60+ million in cap space to get some decent interior linemen in free agency, and I think they'll be willing to spend that cap space to get some good ones this offseason.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Top FA Centers
30 and over:
Kilgore
Smith
Sullivan
Bergstrom
26 or under:
Jensen
Harrison
Schwenke

Kilgore isn't top anything. A backup at best.

Totally agree

He'd be a good utility back-up for G & C
Jimmy G already pimping SF out!

"Yeah. That's kind of how this thing goes," Garoppolo answered on the "Gary & Larry" show. "Guys reaching out to guys more than coaches and executives really. Just in the last 48 hours, to be honest, I've had texts, I've had messages from guys, and they're excited about it. It's a place that -- why wouldn't you want to be here? It's gorgeous outside year-round. We're a young, upcoming team, and we've got a phenomenal coaching staff.

"It's an exciting time out here in the Bay Area. Hopefully, a lot of guys want to experience that too."
Way to go jimmyG.....promote that brand , and for a bonus you get 3 interior OLs that can protect you...Heck you could play into your 40s with an all pro interior.

The last 49er Super Bowl win season was cemented I thought but some movement up front on the OL. You have to understand the context of the changes that went on at the time. It wasn't like the 49ers were a scrub team trying to rebuild. It was the early 90s and the team was still in its dynastic mode battling with Dallas as many of you remember. One thing I remember is this:

Jesse Sapolu and Bart Oats (1994)

Jesse was starting center in 1993 and was a decorated vet, coming off a Pro Bowl. He was really good OC and was easily one of the top centers in the league BUT, he wasn't good enough to man a line that could de-throne Dallas. The 49ers went out and got Bart Oats who was better, a vet from the NY Giants if I recall - asked Jesse to play left guard, a position he hadn't played since 1988, in order to FINALLY beat Dallas. Of course that 1994 49ers OL sent TWO Pro Bowlers - Bart AND Jesse.

That was Mike Shanahan's offense then and I sincerely hope Kyle looks at this offense the same way; regardless of who's at a position, never be afraid to bring someone in and ask another player regardless of what they've done previously to change if it means the greater win for the team. Excited and anxious to see what we do at the OL.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Excited and anxious to see what we do at the OL.

Good stuff, man...me too!
Jimmy & The Garoppolo 5
Man I hope Jensen hits free agency. Shannys offense badly needs a premier center.

When Shanny was in Cleveland, everything was fine until they lost Mack. Then the offense fell apart.

In ATL, adding Mack took their offense to the next level from 2015 compared to 2016.
I'm hoping our new center has enough time to pick up this offense.

Nvm if Kilgore can do it in one offseason, then anyone else can. Lol
[ Edited by RumphSteak on Feb 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM ]
Share 49erswebzone